Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is the best ear protection (muffs) for a guy that shoots a rifle and needs to get good cheek weld? Which one has good protection and is thin enough to get close to the rifle stock?

joseph

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hi Joe:

There are many types of shooting earplugs ranging from simple foam inserts to electronic sound dampeners. And with choices today, one can spend 50 cents to $200 on ear protection.

However, what I recommend is to look for a major outdoor rifle or shotgun club or tournament, (skeet, trap or sporting clays.) Usually many vendors offering shooting accessories will attend these clubs/tournaments. Look for a vendor that offers custom molded ear plugs. This rubber/plastic/medical grade silicone substance is poured and molded in your ear and left to harden. Takes about 20 minutes. They are tied together for easy attachment/looping to a hat or so they wont get lost. Each plug has a red or blue tie attachment so as to determine left from right.

Cost is usually around $30 or so and offer good sound protection in addition to not interfering with a good cheek weld. I average about two years for each set of these plugs. I have no problem shooting a 300 target 12 ga event without impairing my hearing and still be capable of hearing the range officer and/or puller. I have also found them good for indoor pistol/rifle as well.

There is a company called Radians that offers a kit for you to do it at home, although they don't appear to be as fine as the ones available at major shoots or gun clubs.

http://www.radians.com/main/p-282-radia ... plugs.aspx.

Hope this helps,

HoJo
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks HonestJohn,

I have used those, but wanted to get some muffs if I could get good cheek weld if possible.

40gt

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Best, as in the absolute best money can buy without exception? Probably the MSA Sordins.

But it really depends on how you want to use them. I shoot competitions so I need to hear range commands and live on a budget, so I have a pair of Howard Leight Impact Sport electronics. They work great for most things.

When I need more than that, I have a pair of do-it-yourself-molded ear plugs that I wear.

If I need even more than that, I wear the muffs over the molded plugs.

When I need something in between them all, I have some Howard Leight Smart Fit earplugs. I can put these in at varying depths to allow me to hear more or less of what is going on around me.

·
Registered
537 Posts
i like my peltors. they have a very slim profile. i've never had a problem getting a good cheek weld on any rifle (AR, M1A, bolt gun)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
slothlacrosse said:
i like my peltors. they have a very slim profile. i've never had a problem getting a good cheek weld on any rifle (AR, M1A, bolt gun)
Which model do you have?

40gt

·
Registered
537 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm a huge fan of Surefire EarPro Sonic Defenders. Cheap, small, light weight, no electronics.
There is a center plug I can leave out, so I can still hear people next to me talking. But I haven't been around anything bigger than a .308 with these. If your going to shoot something big, keep the plugs in.
On a side note, that might not affect a lot of people. But you can take take these through customs, and not have to do any explaining. If you do a lot of traveling to other countries for the job, you know that customs can be a pain. And I think I spent about $12 on them last year. I try to clean them ever time I use them, warm water+mild soap and there good to go.
I do have a pair of Peltor Tech 6. They are nice, do not like the dual volume controls. Plan on getting a set of Impact Sports ear pro. And it nevers fails there is always someone that doesnt have ear pro.

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
I use the disposable purple dudes from Wally World in the 100 packs. They work great, are 32DB rated, and I don't cry when they go through the washer and drier.

That said, I swear, if the guys I work with don't quit hammering on large metal objects with other large metal objects and air tools when I am in the shop (with no ear pro on)...I'm really going to have to get some filtered in-canal plugs molded.

-Nate

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I have hearing loss from my days in the USAF on the flight-line, so my hearing is not the greatest. I wanted to protect what hearing I had left so I purchased 3M 30 db protection muffs and found that I could not hear instructions from match personnel or RO's. I bought an inexpensive brand Champion rated at 26db, that fit my ear canal from Wally world. They are the 3 tier mushroom style and they work just fine for me. Thinking about getting some made for me but not a rush since these in ear plugs work just fine. I can hear instructions and the gunfire sounds like a pop to me. I'll look for a vendor at a gun show that does the custom fit plugs.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
And think how much better all of our hearing would be!
I don't know. I've worn the foam plugs under the ear muff's when shooting. Don't hear much, even if the guy next to me is shooting a .338LM with "shark gill" brake on it.

Doubling up the hearing protection like this cuts down on distractions. My hearing is just going away due to age. That way I don't have to listen to the noisy kids :) :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I highly recommend the Howard Leight Impact Sport. They have a great electronic system that allows you to hear what's going on around you - including impact on steel targets with no feedback or distortions. And they only cost $40. I shoot with muzzle brakes and so do my shooting buddies so I double up with sure fire EP8 plugs. With the plugs open and the volume turned on the on muffs I can hear conversations on the range, impact on steel and never get concussion or ringing ears from buddies brakes. The SF $20 plugs + $40 muffs. I think this is a great setup. Also, the muffs are very low profile so I never have any issue with cheakweld using them in multiple firing positions.

Lastly, if I am just shooting pistol or shotgun the plugs work just fine on there own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts