Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
You are one lucky schmoe. You should head over to the Smith and Wesson forum and look for a set of goncalvo alves grips. That's where I found a set.

I really love that revolver. Nice work.

Fluffy

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
One of my friends was fortunate enough to find 4 S&W Model 57 and 1 Model 58 41 mag revolvers with no dash numbers, all bone stock, and as far as we can tell never fired. He bought them all. I'm still upset with him for not letting me get one.:evil: One was an 8 3/8 barrel, too.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
I finally got a pair of Target Stocks. I don't think they are as old as the gun, but they are a whole lot better than the rubbers that were on it. I also picked up a 28-2 4" highway patrolman a few weeks ago. It has quite a bit of holster wear, but does not appear to be shot a whole lot. still locks up great and shoots great. At $300 out the door, I couldn't pass it up even if all I ever use it for is to sit in the truck. I might have it polished and refinished some day, but for now I have a quality, reliable classic that I don't have to worry about scratching.

BTW-- here's pics of the 629 with new stocks!

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Do not leave that Model 28 outside in your truck. Some schmoe will steal it. Sleep with the Model 28 at your bedside. And use it as a housegun.

That Model 29 is truly beautiful. Two paws up.

Fluffy

·
Registered
28 Posts
The new wood shoes look great on your 629.

The S&W 28's were one of the workhorses of the golden age of duty revolvers. Many will have holster wear but the actions are like new. For $300 you got an excellent deal. The blueing wear and scuffs add a bit of character, and I would prefer to leave it as is over any refinishing job.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You are a wise young man. Most guys your age buy Glocks and your desire to find a proper Smith and Wesson is most commendable.

You should look for a Model 29 or a Model 29-1 or a Model 29-2.

The Model 29-3 did away with the pinned barrel and the countersunk cylinders. The Model 29-3 came out in 1982 and this was a sad day for Smith and Wesson.

The Model 29 continued and the Model 29-7 ushered in the era of MiM parts. Under no circumstances should you ever buy a Model 29-7. These are schmoed-out pieces of junk and are best used as paperweights.

If I were you, I would look for a Model 29-2 from the mid 70s. This piece would feature carbona blueing as well as Goncalo Alves stocks. I think that a Model 29-2 would probably offer you the best value.

Good luck in your hunt.

:D

Fluffy
Sir, if you're still out there, I would just like to thank you for this post you made 11 years ago. This simple post set me out on my quest to find a 29-2. I knew I wanted a 29, just didn't know which one. Finally found one, a man I know has stacks of vintage Smith revolvers he's slowly starting to part with, and had the 29-2 in the blue box and with presentation wooden box, plus tools. The gun has barely been fired, with faint turn marks, bright shining barrel, and just beautiful piece. I paid $2k for it. I have not fired it yet, don't know if I will, but dang am I happy to own it.
Thanks again for this post, you taught me what to look for. Next up is a Highway Patrolman, also perfect condition.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts