Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased a Remington 700 tactical 24 inch barrel. It's a 300 win. Mag Searching for right optics to reach out to 2000 yards

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Ghost,

First off if you take a Rem 700 and touch 2,000 yards, please call me. As far as optics go to, really give you a basic down and dirty of different optics to shoot at that distance depends on what your shooting? If shooting targets and price is no problem, I would settle with a 5-25X50 or bigger. As far as target brands go, I would highly recommend Vortex razer, Leopold mark series or nightforce ATACR series. For Hunting I would recommend Swarovski Z6 series or better, nightforce or Leopold. Swarovski has the best clarity out of all my scopes, nightforce kills it in low light situations and my Leopold is just old faithful well rounded on all aspects. For a hybrid I would choose either a nightforce or Leopold. Now, I'm not saying you couldn't choose another brand such as sig sauer, trijicon, etc. But I have all four of the scopes mentioned above and all work flawlessly. Good luck on your 2,000 yard shot buddy.

I recently purchased a Remington 700 tactical 24 inch barrel. Searching for right optics to reach out to 2000 yards

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently purchased a Remington 700 tactical 24 inch barrel. Searching for right optics to reach out to 2000 yards
Before even talking about the scope, my first question would be what ammunition do you shoot with that rifle? You want to make sure you are shooting something that would make it to 2,000 yards and do the kind of damage you want it to do. If you are shooting .308, it would become subsonic at about 800-900 yards with a 24" barrel. 300 Win-Mag would give you 1,200 yards. 338 Lapua Mag would give you 1,650 yard or so. So, what will you be shooting with that rifle?

As far as scope, at those ranges, you really need high-power optics, but also optics that are precise enough. I love Night Force and Vortex, but even at 32x, things start getting pretty small at 1,000 yards, let alone 2,000 yards...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Before even talking about the scope, my first question would be what ammunition do you shoot with that rifle? You want to make sure you are shooting something that would make it to 2,000 yards and do the kind of damage you want it to do. If you are shooting .308, it would become subsonic at about 800-900 yards with a 24" barrel. 300 Win-Mag would give you 1,200 yards. 338 Lapua Mag would give you 1,650 yard or so. So, what will you be shooting with that rifle?

As far as scope, at those ranges, you really need high-power optics, but also optics that are precise enough. I love Night Force and Vortex, but even at 32x, things start getting pretty small at 1,000 yards, let alone 2,000 yards...
Also, assume that you have 1 MOA rifle, ammunition (and talent...). 1 MOA is just about 1" at 100 yards. It's 20" at 2,000 yards (not considering the effect of wind and other parameters that tend to play a bigger role at longer ranges). Is that accurate enough for you?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry Dude, its not going to happen

i bought this rifle about 10 years ago and never could get 1 moa

i was told that a $2-3000 upgrade could get me 1 moa

there are many good rifles out of the box sub moa
Remington is not one of them

sell it and get a good rifle, not in .308

6.5 creedmoor or 6mm creedmoor will get you on target consistantly at 1000. Probably out to 1200 -1400. Known to go beyond

to go to 2000 you should be looking at 338 or 50 bmg

you need to start to study ballistics and in particular where your round of choice goes transonic.

you need to learn to reload like a surgeon

you will need some tools, a Kestrel is a good starting place. I hope you are either detetmined or good with math

but to answer your question , a vortex Razor will take you on your journey. Some years from now, when you are trained and prepared to take that shot you will already know of other optics.

if you are not shooting Mil dot now, change before you you waste more time and money

good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ghost,

First off if you take a Rem 700 and touch 2,000 yards, please call me. As far as optics go to, really give you a basic down and dirty of different optics to shoot at that distance depends on what your shooting? If shooting targets and price is no problem, I would settle with a 5-25X50 or bigger. As far as target brands go, I would highly recommend Vortex razer, Leopold mark series or nightforce ATACR series. For Hunting I would recommend Swarovski Z6 series or better, nightforce or Leopold. Swarovski has the best clarity out of all my scopes, nightforce kills it in low light situations and my Leopold is just old faithful well rounded on all aspects. For a hybrid I would choose either a nightforce or Leopold. Now, I'm not saying you couldn't choose another brand such as sig sauer, trijicon, etc. But I have all four of the scopes mentioned above and all work flawlessly. Good luck on your 2,000 yard shot buddy.
Tripp I really appreciate the Intel on optics will let you know on that 2000 yards. Thank you. I was leaning towards nightforce

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Ghost,

Also for ammo for the 2,000 yard shot i would start to look for professional company who are skilled in making crazy handloads. Choiceammunition.com would be a great place to start. I would call them discuss what your goals are and they'll be a big help. I well tell you ghost it would be expensive up front buddy. They go through about 3-5 boxes of different ammo and grain types to find your perfect round. They went through 4 on my long range hunting rifle and I think it came out to around $300-$400. There's other companies out there too you don't have to use them. Once they find your round however they save all the data so when you need ammo you just call and they make handloads for you and send them to your house. It's that easy buddy.

Tripp I really appreciate the Intel on optics will let you know on that 2000 yards. Thank you. I was leaning towards nightforce

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I don’t have any 300 WinMag precision shooting systems all of my long distance rifles are 308, 6.5 Creedmoor and 300 Norma Mag. 1000 yards is about the limit for my 308 with a 175 Sierra match King handloads. I don’t have personal experience going past 1000 yards. And now that my thousand yard range is closed in Lakeport Florida I’m stuck doing these 500 600 yard ranges. Not much of a challenge after you’re pushing out to 1000. As far as getting a 300WM out to 2000, yeah you need to get your Chrono numbers and your G7 BC #s and push them into an app and see where you drop some sonic. I suspect that’s going to be well below your 2000 yard mark. But good luck. My.02

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
If you’re looking for calibers that really reach out I would take a look at what the guys use at the king of the 2 mile competition. Last time I checked they were using some variant of the 375 Cheytac. I looked into having one of these monsters built and well you’re talking between 10 and 15 grand from the people that build rifles for the 2 mile shot competition. That’s a bit too big of a hit to the wallet for me for one weapon system. Then unless you’re paying someone to load the rounds, n you have to get specialized loading equipment to load your ammunition.

now 1 mile is 1760 yards and well you can do the math on 2 miles. I presume you’re doing this exercise regarding OPTICS for target shooting as I don’t know of anyone who is able to tape game reliably and ethically at 2000 yards. Speaking for myself, shooting my 308 and 1000 yards I realized just how much the wind played a factor and shots beyond 500 yards out to 1000. Even with the 375CT wind would push that bullet quite a bit at 2000 yards. Also I suspect much of the equipment they use is custom made. I believe there are YouTube videos that have Portions of these competitions online, you might want to check them out for optics.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I recently purchased a Remington 700 tactical 24 inch barrel. It's a 300 win. Mag Searching for right optics to reach out to 2000 yards
I'm using a Nightforce NSX 5.5 x22x56 on a 6
5 Creedmoor. I also have on on a Springfield M1A1. I only have access to a 600 yard range. I hit those plates all day long. It's a 100 MOA scope so
Table Plant Air gun Machine gun Trigger

1300 is all your're going to get with any degree of accuracy. After that you're just throwing money and hoping for a hit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Also, assume that you have 1 MOA rifle, ammunition (and talent...). 1 MOA is just about 1" at 100 yards. It's 20" at 2,000 yards (not considering the effect of wind and other parameters that tend to play a bigger role at longer ranges). Is that accurate enough for you?
20"? How about 200.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry Dude, its not going to happen

i bought this rifle about 10 years ago and never could get 1 moa

i was told that a $2-3000 upgrade could get me 1 moa

there are many good rifles out of the box sub moa
Remington is not one of them

sell it and get a good rifle, not in .308

6.5 creedmoor or 6mm creedmoor will get you on target consistantly at 1000. Probably out to 1200 -1400. Known to go beyond

to go to 2000 you should be looking at 338 or 50 bmg

you need to start to study ballistics and in particular where your round of choice goes transonic.

you need to learn to reload like a surgeon

you will need some tools, a Kestrel is a good starting place. I hope you are either detetmined or good with math

but to answer your question , a vortex Razor will take you on your journey. Some years from now, when you are trained and prepared to take that shot you will already know of other optics.

if you are not shooting Mil dot now, change before you you waste more time and money

good luck
Spot on Davebrau (y)

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Sorry mate I think you have made a mistake buying a Remington used to be good rifles but now think of them as the Skoda of the shooting world

1 - 17 of 17 Posts