Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having just spent a load on a rifle, I can't afford to drop another $1200 on glass right now.

I need a sub $300 scope for the next 3 months or so until I can get a Zeiss I like...

What have people tried in that price range?

Gene

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
For under $300.

Burris Fullfield II's
Leupold VXII's and FXII's
SS 10x
Bushnell elite 3200
Mueller Tactical

MEL

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Sightron SII
3-12x42mm w/ mil dot
$299 @ Bear Basin

These scopes are amazing. Check one out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
cheaptrick said:
Sightron SII
3-12x42mm w/ mil dot
$299 @ Bear Basin

These scopes are amazing. Check one out.
Bah! I forgot about those... yes, this is a good scope, Though I might suggest the SII 3-12x with knobs (no mil-dot available though). Guess it depends on what type of shooting.

There are various posts on these forums in regards to the Super Sniper scopes from riflescopes.com

MEL

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Sightron has several new scopes coming out that will really excite us tactical users. They have a whole line of 4 new SS scopes. They are side focus and Alan (at Sightron) is going to send one out for review in a few weeks. Per a discussion that we had, he is going to see about building a prototype with the mil-dot in the front focal plane. But none of these new SS scopes fit in the $300 budget that is the topic of this thread.

MEL

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Sorry to hi jack the original posters thread with my Sightron meanderings. :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cheaptrick said:
Sorry to hi jack the original posters thread with my Sightron meanderings. :D
No problem - all part of the learning curve for me... :)

Looks like I may be heading toward a Meuler mil-dot for the short term....

But before I do how about the Nikon 3.3-10x44 scope... anyone have one?

Bit more $ at 3.89, but what impressed me was the light transmission!

Nikon 3.3-10x44 Monarch UCC Riflescope

Key Features

* 95% light transmission
* Fully multicoated lenses for unsurpassed light transmission/contrast
* Nikon's famous super - high resolution lenses
* One - piece main - body tube construction
* 100% Waterproof/Fogproof/Shockproof
* 1/4-minute click handturn reticle adjustments
* Lifetime Full Warranty
* Quick Focus Eyepiece

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Nikon monarch scopes are excellent and one of my favorite choices... but it was out of that $300 price range, so I didn't mention them.

MEL

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I'm a big Nikon fan too.

They are a very good scope, for the money.

The only "knock" I can find on them is that they seem a little touchy with eye/head placement. If you don't have your head in the right position, you'll lose the sight picture.FWIW

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
You can get a nice 4X fixed power Leupold for $200. This is probably the best value in scopes today.

4 power fixed scopes are out of fashion today, but a lot of great shooting was done with them in the past. Jack O' Connor loved fixed 4X scopes.

The most important thing in a scope is the quality of its optics. The $200 Leupold 4X scope is bright and rugged. It is will never fail you. Better one of these scopes than something cheaper.

Mad

·
Registered
292 Posts
i have a 3-9x40 bushnell elite 3200 w/ the firefly on my 7mm mag that i love, almost as clear as my leupies, thicker reticle

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you have only three bills and you want a tactical type glass, I would get a 10-power Tasco "Super Sniper" in a second..

Goofy name, but great scope (for the money). Made by Hakko in Japan, for SWFA. I use Leupolds exclusivly, but the SS's are surprisingly (infuriatingly, actually) competitive in the field with my 1-grand Loopys.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts