Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, who here shoots with a boonie? I perfer it. One thing tht is better though, is a veil because for me I have PERFECT eye relief and it blocks out the sun if its on your six. But a boonie does the same but just not as good as a veil. Plus if your ina urban area a boonie helps break your head-shoulder sillohute. Heh I dunno im just posting this to say. What are your guys opinions with boonies and how they effect your shooting?

·
Registered
522 Posts
I usually shoot with a ball cap but sometimes I use a boonie hat. Its weather dependent. If its raining or its really sunny and I have no cover I'll throw on my boonie.

It doesn't help me shoot better per say, just more comfortable. I like the comfort of no sun in my eyes and no rain in my eyes or on my head.

I like the USMC digital desert camo boonie. I might get one of those. 8)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I shoot almost exclusively with a boonie. It always blocks out the sun, wind, or rain. Plus on the very hot days I'll wet it and it really cools me off.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
I also shoot with a boonie. The brim is flexible, and short enough all the way around so it doesnt bang into things like the brim of a baseball cap, but long enough to keep the sun off of your face and your head dry in the rain.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I must admit... i wear my MARPAT boonie's everywhere i go :oops: . Well... not everywhere :lol: . Did you know the name "boonie" comes from the 1920's / 30's when Marines were fighting rebels in the pacific (banana wars). There was a large hill / post that was way out in the middle of no where... the locals called the hill BOONIE. :) Sooner or later anywhere that was in the middle of no where was called Boonies. The rings around the boonie hat were originally for keeping shotgun rounds out of the water incase you fell into a stream or pond... since back then shotgun casings were made of either paper or brass with a felt wad holding the shot in. (wernt water proof). Nowdays people usually cram some vegitation in the loops... wich works great.

BC

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Come on now, who on this site would shoot WITHOUT a boonie!! :D

I have various ones... in need of some more.... perhaps a MARPAT

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
An ARMY guy wearing MARPAT :shock: . I would buy you one Mel... just to have a picture of an Army Sniper wearing a MARPAT (MARine PATtern) boonie hat. :lol:

BC :wink:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I heard all branches are going with some variation of MARPAT "digital". I think the guy said color for uniforms not worn in the field would go with the branch (Air Force will have blue in it). Anyone else heard that? I know the Army is about to start implementing a digital type pattern.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Yes... the US Army has for about a year or so wanted to field a copy of the MARPAT cammoflauge. But... the USMC has it pattented. :? Thats why the "Tru-Spec" company has stoped inporting there "digital" cammoflauge "BDU's". As far as the Army doing this... i dont know. Ive heard they want to... but they dont seem to give the USMC much help in information and program fund lending. Therfor... i dont think the USMC will be very helpful with the Army wanting the MARPAT design. The USMC has on several occasions asked for more detailed information on the XM-307 25mm weapons system that the US Army is going to eventually replace the M-2 .50BMG with. And... the US Army seems to "loose" the request papers. :roll: This iner-service "my balls are bigger than yours" fighting really iritates me...

BC

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Yeah, I agree BC. Just seems like it would be fairly obvious that cooperation between services would benefit EVERYONE. I have respect for all of our US Armed services and the jobs they do.

In terms of the MARPAT boonie.... well, who am I to turn down an offer for a new hat :D Make it a 7.5" :wink: and I'll wear it with pride :shock:

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Desert or Forest?

Yea... the iner-service pissing contest really irritates me. If the new cammo is better and has a chance of saving lives... why not help the Army out? And... if the USMC lacks the major funding for weapon testing and evaluation... why not help us out too? Last time i checked we were on the same side of the line in the sand...

BC

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Ballistic_Coefficiency said:
Desert or Forest?
Forest please

Yea... the iner-service pissing contest really irritates me. If the new cammo is better and has a chance of saving lives... why not help the Army out? And... if the USMC lacks the major funding for weapon testing and evaluation... why not help us out too? Last time i checked we were on the same side of the line in the sand...
AMEN!!

MEL

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey all,

Funny, Canada wen't to digital camies years ago. When I travelled with the forces I used to get comments from the Americans on how the digital stuff looked like crap and was a trend. I remember at a UN training session when a guy {a navy seal} was called to answer a question. He asked if the instructor could repeat the question because he was hipnotized staring at my back. We all had a good laugh!
His buddies never left him alone the whole weekend, I felt kinda bad so I gave him a set to tease his friends with. We still keep in touch, mostly trading ideas

As far as my hat. I'm a Sabian cymbal endorser. I get all kinds of free swag that I'm supose to wear to help advertise. They sent me a bunch of bucket hats that fit really well and work great for shooting. Hey can't beat free':D'
Cheers,
Kenshin

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
In all reality... all "digital" camo is a copy of a German WW2 design. Just one of many things we copied from the Nazi's.

BC

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Yeah, I think I remember seeing the German pattern somewhere... I also like that bit about the interservice stuff. You know, I won't pretend to have my preference, Army (since I was a little kid, no particular reason it's just who I liked), but all branches of our military has put it on the line for this country and given plenty of lives and limbs. I respect them all. This won't stop me from giving my buddy in the Navy a hard time though! :wink: Anyway, here's to all those who aren't here in flesh, but in spirit (of Freedom).

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Kaz said:
This won't stop me from giving my buddy in the Navy a hard time though! :wink:
HEH HEH HEH... silly squids :p

BC

1 - 20 of 125 Posts