Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inspired by Orkan's comment in a recent thread. How many of you guys shoot with both eyes open? I'm a habitual one-eye shooter and, to be honest, am not sure I understand the benefits of aiming with both eyes open.

If you're one of the guys in the both eyes open camp, can you provide any training tips? Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
2,249 Posts
Both eyes open. It's easier on my eyes to shoot with them both open. I don't want to squint for 3-5 hours during a match, that would be uncomfortable.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I used to shoot one eye open. then I used a patch over my non dominant eye and made things a lot more comfortable. Then I started shooting my bow without the patch and my natural point of aim seemed to always be on point. I vote both eyes open much more comfortable for sure and for me gives me a great natural point of aim.

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
Got to have both open or yu end up straining the one open eye.

I am able to focus on wind flags with my left eye and thr target with my right. The two 'ghost' together like a head up display. It makes getting the shot off in bad weather much easier.

Initially though I wore an eye blind (or had one stuck on the side of the rifle). It allowed my to keep the eye open, but have a blank image. Importantly though, the eye blind was translucent though, so it did let light through. This meant that both eyes get the same amount of light, so reduce the eye strain, but the side on the eye blind wasn't distracted by an image.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
It has been very tough for me to shoot with both eyes using a rifle or pistol, but a rifle is a little easier. My main issue is that I am right handed but left eye dominant. You can learn to cope with that but it requires a hell of a lot of concentration.

Note: This year I had cataract surgery and had the new lenses set for mono-vision; distance in the left and close in the right. This has made a difference but it's hard to break years of habit.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Tension in your body when running a rifle isn't desirable. Closing an eye creates tension, unless you can close one eye as effortlessly as a blink. Yet you lose almost all situational awareness even if you can do that. Blinders or closing an eye belongs on a square range with RO's present. Even then I could debate against it.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Two eyes open always ... maximize FOV.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Hello
I use a combination of one eye both eyes open. I wil lightly close one eye just prior to firing to check if cross hairs shift then reopen to fire.
Cliffy

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
My main issue is that I am right handed but left eye dominant. You can learn to cope with that but it requires a hell of a lot of concentration.
One "trick" that helps a lot of shooters with this problem is to put a piece of scotch tape in the center of the lens of your shooting glasses on the non-aiming side. This tends to "distract" the dominant eye enough to let the "shooting eye" take over. Using a small piece of tape leaves enough vision to see flags, anti-cant levels, etc.

I agree that closing one eye is a good way to strain the important eye and also end the day with a large headache.

You can sometimes "retrain" left-dominant eye. Wear a patch over it for several days while going about your normal activities (except driving where depth perception is essential). After a while your "shooting eye" will take over. Some Apache helicopter pilots, where the sighting and night vision system is a monocular device, have managed to use this method successfully if they have a left eye dominant issue.

It also helps to keep your prescription up to date if you wear corrective lenses.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One "trick" that helps a lot of shooters with this problem is to put a piece of scotch tape in the center of the lens of your shooting glasses on the non-aiming side. This tends to "distract" the dominant eye enough to let the "shooting eye" take over. Using a small piece of tape leaves enough vision to see flags, anti-cant levels, etc.

I agree that closing one eye is a good way to strain the important eye and also end the day with a large headache.

You can sometimes "retrain" left-dominant eye. Wear a patch over it for several days while going about your normal activities (except driving where depth perception is essential). After a while your "shooting eye" will take over. Some Apache helicopter pilots, where the sighting and night vision system is a monocular device, have managed to use this method successfully if they have a left eye dominant issue.

It also helps to keep your prescription up to date if you wear corrective lenses.
Just want to make sure I understand your suggestion. I am right eye dominant. That would mean I should stick a small piece of clear scotch tape in the middle of my left lense?

That's definitely going to throw me off, but I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
The tape would go over your dominant eye, to let your non-dominant eye become... "more dominant."

This is only advised when you have a dominant hand/side, which doesn't match your dominant eye.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Wow I am pleasantly surprised by the comments here. I thought I would be the minority in this. I have shot traditional bow (I build them too) for years. I shoot instinctive mostly. I have always ,even with a compound, shot both eyes open. I am also right handed but have a weak right eye. If / when I shoot left everything is much clearer. But my habit is right handed. My eye dominance has switched back and forth depending on what I am doing. It is pretty weird. But I have always found both eyes open easier for me. I may close it for a second if I am having trouble focusing but that isn't terribly often.

Talk about the safety of this. I have a archery story that this saved me and my daughter a lot of grief if not her life. She was little maybe 5. I was practicing and as I was about to shoot she ran out in front of me directly in the line of my shot. And by saying I was about to shoot I mean I was pressing the release trigger. Scared me to death but if I had been one eye closed I would have never seen her. I was at my in-laws house shooting in their yard...first and last time I did that. Daughter is 18 now... Hence the longer range weapons LOL

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Funny side note on the eye dominence thing. I just bought me and my Fiance bows a first for both of us. I am right eye dominent right handed. She is right handed but doesnt seam to have a dominent eye. So she sent her first 5 down no problem we set up her scope a little at a time. the next five she was 5' to the left at 10 yds. baffled me so we shot another 5 and half were on the other half were 5 ' left. Thats when i asked are you always using your right eye and she said no. been shooting 4 times now and she groups under 4" at 20 yds.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Everyone has a dominant eye. There was an article I read in regard to electrochemical pathways and how the signals received by our eyes are interpreted by our brains... and it is a physiological impossibility to not have a dominant eye. Of course I can't find the article now... but the gist of it is that only one eye is tied into the "faster processor" in our brain which translates into superior hand-eye coordination. Anything that relies on optical alignment of an object in our hands, to another object in our 3D world is governed by this mechanism. Granted we are talking about being extraordinary vs being ordinary. For proof of this, look at something in the room, close your eyes, turn your head away from it, and point at the object you were originally fixated on. Then open your eyes and check your point. Most people will be able to point at it with extreme precision. Try to perform this same thing with one eye, first your dominant eye, then your non-dominant. You might be amazed. :)

Our brains and bodies have amazing capabilities if we but get out of their way. The instinctive faculty of precision in our 3D world is greatly dependent upon us using our dominant eye for optical alignment of the things we have in our hands.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I agree with that, she definately has a dominent eye just chose not to use it every time, and i think i may have read the same article. Its in a womans nature to challenge everything.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts