Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
I must be in the minority as I shoot rifle, shotgun, pistol, bow and nurf gun with one eye shut,probably a self taught way to point and shoot rats in torch light with a 410 as a child. My rifle work is only hunting, zeroing, load testing and playing so no long competitions and eye strain.
As a side note it seems to me that there are more right handed but left eye dominant females out there than men. Half of the girls that I have tried to teach to shoot clays are right handed but left eye dominant, could explain their reverse parking ability?

·
Registered
939 Posts
I must be in the minority as I shoot rifle, shotgun, pistol, bow and nurf gun with one eye shut,probably a self taught way to point and shoot rats in torch light with a 410 as a child. My rifle work is only hunting, zeroing, load testing and playing so no long competitions and eye strain.
As a side note it seems to me that there are more right handed but left eye dominant females out there than men. Half of the girls that I have tried to teach to shoot clays are right handed but left eye dominant, could explain their reverse parking ability?
Perhaps a good test is ... aim your weapon ... with both eyes open ... then shut non-dominant eye ... sights should not move off target ... if they do ... there is a problem, if not, open both eyes, then close dominant eye. I would expect sight picture to change (it does for me) ... if it doesn't ... then different problem.

For me ... (I shoot and aim right handed) my sight picture doesn't change when I sight in with my right eye and close my left. So I can and do shoot with both eyes open.

If, I try to shoot left handed and left eyed, which I am trying to learn to do. The right eye open might cause issues, so I might need to close it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was always a one eye closed guy from the first time went shooting with my uncle, through most of my Military career. When I started shooting pistol more the cops I hung out with always had me trying to shoot both eyes open, they said the same as most of you guys, for the better field of view and situational awareness. Just recently I picked up target shooting again with the rifle and scope and started sighting with the one eye. Then for an unknow reason I just started sighting with the one eye and then once I had the cross hairs lined up I opened both eyes and found that I could see just great.

Now I do it as a pre-shot routine. I get the sight with my right eye and close my left and once I'm sighted I open my left eye to maintain the sight picture. If I'm scope on target for awhile working on my breathing before I pull the trigger, I'll close my left to "make sure" i still have the sight picture I want.

So I guess i use both techniques. LOL

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm like Cliffy, not only because my name is also Cliff but because I also learned to use a hybrid method. I keep both eyes open to reduce fatigue. Once I'm on target, getting ready to fire, I will close my left eye and fire. It doesn't take any more time and once I got used to it, I love it. When I first started precision shooting, I was dying to keep my left eye closed for long periods of time...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I shoot rifles and pistols with one eye open, with the exception of the AR-15 I have that has an EO Tech on it, I shoot that two eyes open. I always shoot skeet with two eyes open, and hunt with two eyes open until I'm focusing in on the shot, then it's one eye open.

mikebaby

21 - 25 of 25 Posts