Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other night I spoke with my friend, Brother Kenny. Brother Kenny is an extremely skilled armorer and M16 expert. He works at a government arsenal. ( Sorry, but I cannot say which one )

Anyhow, Brother Kenny reported on a new kind of bore cleaner. It is called Wipe Out. This stuff is the best bore cleaner that Brother Kenny has ever tried. It completely cleaned a number of worn out barrels at his armory. He just squirted some Wipe Out down the bores and then let everything sit during lunch. After lunch the rifles were perfectly clean. He even tested the stuff on worn out match rifles. And after cleaning, these "worn out" barrels shot fine groups once more.

Brother Kenny also advises that recent M4 and M-16A2 production from both Colt and FN feature over torqued barrel nuts. He has seen barrel nuts torqued to 80 foot pounds. This is far too tight. Instead of going nuts with a torque wrench, just tighten the barrel nut snugly using a DPMS barrel wrench.

For best accuracy in an AR-15, you merely want the barrel nut to be tightened a little tighter than snug. If you tighten it too tight, you can run out of windage.

So beware the torque Nazis.

Mad

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Can you ask him how it compares to Break Free? Id love to try it, but ive got a case of break free sittin around already.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He said it was the very best bore cleaner that he has ever tried. He said it was better than Shooter's Choice, Sweets, Hoppes Elite.

He never mentioned Break Free. But Break Free is not a good bore cleaner. It is a fine lubricant, but it doesn't get rid of copper fouling.

Apparently this Wipe Out stuff works without brushing and without any chemical odor. It completely strips all the copper out of the bore.

Here is a link so that you can read all about it:

http://www.reloadersbench.com/wipeout.html

I plan on getting some.

Mad

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Sounds better than sliced bread.... but how easy is it on the metal? Will this stuff eat away (even if every so slightly) at my match grade button pulled rifling (or any rifling for that matter)? Butch's is what i am using right now... it removes everything and has been proven by many independant studies to not harm the barrel at all.

BC

·
Registered
156 Posts
I use Butches as well for 90% of my cleaning. But i find it not overly agressive on copper fouling. So I use some sweets to get rid of the copper.

Wioeout is good stuff. But for me its just too expensive to use all of the time.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Ive had the same problem... so i scrub mine. I dont like to use Sweets on my match rifles... just personal prefferance. I love sweets 7.62 solvent for machinegun barrels though! :D Cleans all that junk out of there real fast. Just make sure you dont leave the sweets in the barrel to long... it can and will eat away at the metal if left in there long enough.

BC

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yeh I know...Sweets can be bad stuff if left in too long. I use a good quality bore guide (dewy i think) which has an O ring to stop fluid getting into the chamber and action (particularly where the locking lugs go is where i find sweets does damage because its a hard area to clean). I dont leave the sweets in any longer than 5 minutes. And once im finished then i spray some G96 down the barrel and run a patch through. I havent had any problems yet.

Sorry mad for Hi-jacking your thread

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
madgunsmith said:
He never mentioned Break Free. But Break Free is not a good bore cleaner. It is a fine lubricant, but it doesn't get rid of copper fouling.
Oh, yeah after some coffee, and rereading the thread, heh, I realized that. *foot in mouth* Sorry about that.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
So where do you buy this stuff?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Does it contain petrolium distillates? It doesn't seem to have amonia which is what makes sweets harsh but doens't contain acids?.....hmm

How does it measure up agains Spooge?

Sounds interesting. I'd try it, to compare first.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts