Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, I was looking to buy a Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Smoke in .308. I put a
a deposit on this but I can change it if need be. Does anyone have any experience with this new
limited edition model? I am in Australia and my local gun store will be getting some in stock soon.
They have a tungsten cerakote finish, muzzle break, fluted barrel and 5 round polymer magazine.
They are retailing for $1500 Aus ($1125 US).

I wanted a good scope with an illuminated reticle. There is a limited deal on at the moment for
a Zeiss Conquest DL 3-12x50 for $1300 Aus ($975 US) and I already put a deposit on it. The
price was reduced from $1750 Aus ($1312 US).

I would love to hear peoples thoughts on this combination. I am primarily using it as a recreational
hunting rifle and vermin control on my family property. Pigs, goats and deer are in abundance here.
A lot of the shooting I do is in poor light, and I like to be able to take a long shot if need be.

wm_8576414.jpg wm_8597438.jpg IMGP7763.JPG
wm_8617425.jpg wm_8599479.jpg

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One of these photos shows a Tikka with the exact scope I am after, the other shows an X-Bolt Stainless
Stalker with the older Zeiss Duralyt scope attached to give a rough idea of what it will look like.

_8303.jpg browning-x-bolt-stainless-stalker-boulouchasse-001.JPG z3-12x50cdl60.jpg
Zeiss-Conquest-DL-3-12x50-Illuminated-Scope.jpg csm_2393-1-conquest_dl_3_12x50_bel._detail_03_5c9591c9a0.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
I have no experience with the scope or the rifle. But a quick note on the scope you reference, for that price range I think most people have had good luck with the Vortex Viper PST's and the Bushnell Elite's...I haven't heard much good about the Zeiss products. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for helping me out. I'll definitely look into those two brands. Did you hear anything bad about the Zeiss? or is it just that the Vortex and Bushnell are better options for that price range?

Do you know why the edge would be given to the Viper and Bushnell for this price range? The Conquest DL was retailing for around $500 more than the Viper PST but is on special. I would have thought it was the better scope.

Also I noticed that the Vortex Viper PST had a lot of nice features. If I wanted to get something similar to the Zeiss Conquest DL 3-12 I'm assuming I'd be looking at the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50. Do they come with illumination in that model? How good really is this scope? I have around $1500 Aus ($1200 US) to spend on it because I really am after quality but can go over or under if its the best choice.

I have read quite a few good things on the Conquest DL, this being some of them.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/02/18/optic-review-zeiss-conquest-dl-scopes/
-This is the review of 2-8x42 but it is the same besides the lens size.

Has anyone got experience with the Browning X-Bolt? I was planning on it being my first rifle. I like the look and feel of them and a lot of good reviews have been done on them. It just so happened that my local store had the limited edition ones coming in and there were a few extra features that I liked.

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
Zeiss does not have the glass clarity it should for it's price, not even close actually. And the mechanical features are short of perfect to say the least, it's simply overpriced.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your guidance. After looking at the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 it looks like a really nice scope. It has a lot of really cool features like FFP, zero stop, tactical turrets and more zoom. I find you have to be really careful on these purchases because I have been hearing a lot of contradictory things about zeiss. Some say it is price performance optimised optics and that the glass in the DL is just about as good as the Victory. Also comments saying that the Zeiss glass is fantastic... Others such as yourself say that the glass isn't worth the high price.

I have to say though that after looking at the Vortex Viper PST I just like the look of it more. I am about to put my deposit toward it instead so thanks for opening my eyes to other options. Before I make my final decision would you say that with the new reduced price the Zeiss is still competitive with the Viper PST?

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
Just passing on a rumor I read on here yesterday, so treat it as such. But supposedly if you call Vortex directly they give Military/LE 40% off the MSRP on their website. If that applies, that makes the MSRP of the Vortex Razor HD at $1999 cost you only $1199.40, the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP would be around $650...just a thought

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
As for the entire Zeiss line-up...I looked through a Victory at a dealer one time in my life for about 3 minutes, and was more impressed with my $250 Nikon Prostaff 3-9x50 that I bought 10+ yrs ago...My personal opinion, Zeiss does not exist in my world.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Unfortunately I am not a member of the army so those deals are not available to me.

I have to say that I think you are wrong about a Nikon Prostaff that is ten years older being better than a $3000 Zeiss scope made in Germany.
They are a highly reputable brand and a lot of experienced shooters use them or else there wouldn't be a market for them. I think that you should be careful with your bias when giving advice to more inexperienced shooters.

I do agree that the Viper Vortex PST is arguably the better scope for the price, but not to the point that Zeiss Victory is completely outclassed by an old $250 Nikon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts