Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Should the Army replace the M24 with a semi-auto?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• What the #@$%*&^ are they thinking?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read in Special Weapons magazine that Army has decided to replace the M24 SWS with a new rifle designated the XM110 Semi-Automatic Sniper System. One of the candidates is the Armalite AR-10 (T). Does anybody have any more information on this event?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
westpointranger said:
I just read in Special Weapons magazine that Army has decided to replace the M24 SWS with a new rifle designated the XM110 Semi-Automatic Sniper System. One of the candidates is the Armalite AR-10 (T). Does anybody have any more information on this event?
Considering that Remingon Mil Division just came out with the M-24A2... which is vastly improved apon the older M-24 version... i doubt they will adopt a semi auto rifle as a standard issue sniper weapon. Now... with very very high end fully custom AR-10's... they are fully capable of .25 MOA... and 1,000 yard shots on human sized targets. Does this mean that the US Army will order 5,000 new highly custom rifles wich take 6 months each to make?

Spotters and DM's have been using the AR-10 and M-14DMR / M-21 for quite some time... and Snipers have almost allways had a bolt action rifle as there standard issue rifle for sniping purposes. Sure... have the AR-10 / M-21 type rifle there in the armory as an option... but dont take away the basic all time bolt action rifle that rules long range shooting.

BC

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would be astounded if the Army switched over to a semi auto as their snipers primary weapon. I talked to a person I know who deals with Armalite on an investment basis and he knows nothing. However, the army did just give RUGER a pistol contract? :eek: The wonders never cease

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
My other sniper instructor now a Naval Special Warfare guy, but formerly a Recon Marine Scout Sniper, says his new unit(he is a reservist now) is using the 308 semi autos as they are shorter range shooter most times. They are using the SR25.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
mlammers said:
They are using the SR25.
Yea... the Knights Armament SR-25 is one of the most high end... if not the most high end AR-10 for sniping out there. I think there deffinitly is a place for semi auto rifles for use by Snipers... but i dont think they need to replace the bolt action rifles with semi auto's.

BC

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Yeah, I'm thinking that the M24 is around for a while. The US Army renewed the Remington contract just about 4 years ago and I'm fairly certain there are a few more years on it. There are over 5000 M24's, at $5000+ a package, that gets spendy ($25 million), especially since the rifle is still relatively young. But hey, the army has done dumber things than that, I just think it would be a step backwards, especially since they left the M21 to adopt the M24

MEL

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
The M-24 is a good system than can and is updated for sniping. Adapting a semi auto to compliment it I can understand, but even then the M-25 does a good job. But like Mel said, I have seen the Army do dumber things.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
M24 SWS is fine
its a reliable, dourable and accurate rifle with a nice scope thats built like a tank sitting on top of it, with M118LR it should be among the best
doesnt need to go

and they have the SR-25 and the M25 whenever a semi-auto sniper is needed

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
i agree---they better not get rid of the m-24.....but then again the army could use a XM-25 (m-21) in urban sniping conbat too??? i also have a question...are there really that many sr-25s out there in our military forces???

~dom~

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I can only tell you his unit is using them, and he's gettig ready to delploy soon with it to the box

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
urban combat id rather have a semi-auto sniper but there are times you just cant beat the good ol bolt action for reliabilty

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
hypno02 said:
i agree---they better not get rid of the m-24.....but then again the army could use a XM-25 (m-21) in urban sniping conbat too???
The US Army allready has M-21 / M-14 DMR and AR-10 rifles... mainly used by Spotters and Designated Marksmen. Also... the MK-12 Mod 0 and MK-12 Mod 1 SPR rifles (high end AR-15's designed for sniper / spotter use).

hypno02 said:
i also have a question...are there really that many sr-25s out there in our military forces???

~dom~
SR-25's are mainly used by the US Navy / USMC special operation units... but i do beleive the US Army has some in its inventory. Also... the US Army has a number of MSG-90 (Military version of the PSG-1) rifles in its inventory... Recon Ranger / SF units use these.

BC

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
The SR25's pretty much only exist in the ranger battalions and SF groups. A few of the SF groups do have the H&K products. There are some NM M14's that individual units had built for their needs, but no official adoption. M21's are pretty much non existent any longer. XM25's do exist in some SF units also. Line units generally only have M24's

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
My unit did some work with Team 555 from the 5th SF Group (the first US Army SF unit to get into Stan) in Asscrackistan... they are the guys who had the single shot .338 Lapua M-24. They also had an SR-25 and a XM-25. But like Mel said... they are SF and they get pretty much whatever they want. Regular Snipers (11B-B4) pretty much only get your standard M-24.

BC

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Personally, I am a big semi-auto fan *ducks to avoid flying objects*, but for this kind of thing a bolt gun is the best choice. Semis compliment bolts, but they don't replace them. Now, if someone would make a semi w/ a gas shut-off so that it could be run like a Cobb .50, that could possibly be the answer.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
M24 Sniper Rifle is a pretty good system. I have fired a few shots from it and it doesnt seem much different from my 700P. Although I cant say that I care for the long action on the weapon. If they would take it down to short action, there wouldnt be AS many feeding problems with the ammo. They had only done this to retrofit the rifle to be able to shoot the 300 Magnum, but then there is more servicing, new barell, headspace, etc etc. If they would want a rifle that shoots out farther make a different rifle. No need in making a rifle something it isnt. I seen the newer M24A2 protype from remington and it looks like quite a system. I highly doubt that the Army will phase out the M24 anytime soon as it has a pretty good track record. I had also read that the Army is looking adopting the Armalite AR-10T in the 300 SAUM. Pretty cool. 8)

Respectfully,
Tyler Consugar

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
westpointranger said:
. Now, if someone would make a semi w/ a gas shut-off so that it could be run like a Cobb .50, that could possibly be the answer.
They do, it's called the M-21. Actually a bolt rifle is a better sniper rifle for the most part, but I can see where a semi-auto would come in handy at times. I think if snipers are being used in a manner like the russians do, a semi auto makes more since, but with the way the US uses snipers, a bolt is better.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I personally do not think there is any such thing as a better weapon. Each weapon has its pro's and con's. Obviously a semi-auto would be ideal for Urban operations where you have less time to aquire a target and fire. Obviously a bolt rifle would be ideal for long range desert shooting where your target might be 2,000 + yards away and you have ample time to take your shot, reload and fire again if need be.

And yes, the M-14 DMR, M-21 and XM-25 all have the standard M-14 gas shut off valve to be used as a straight pull rifle. Allthough i dont see the point in using it, it might be usefull if you dont want to send 7.62X51mm brass flying everywhere ( leaving US headstamped casings in an area you might not want to :wink: ).

The Rifleman

·
Registered
271 Posts
honestly, if they're going to replace it with a semi-auto, which I'm really not against, it should be done with the Browning BAR conversion similar to what Armstech Limited built with the 300 winchester magnum rifles for the Bosnian conflict except in 308.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
hey westpointranger... the "semi with an adjustable bolt" idea is already done- in the M14DMR... it is the spindle valve. i spent the last two years working with this weapon system and it gives plenty good accuracy for urban engagements. The M118 ammo matched with a Mcmillan stock under the Leupold MK4 scope was a nice combo. i used this set up in iraq, afghanistan, saudi arabia, and africa; and it never let me down. so i ask why look to new toys when we have what we want already in the armory? just my .02
Semper Fi... just in case your wondering my unit 1st FAST Co 1st Plt

1 - 20 of 33 Posts