Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really stupid question here, I always expected my self to know this but it slipped through the cracks I guess. But does caliber affect sound that much? I know about the after shot sounds (echos and how things "filter it") but im not conserned with that. Can you make some comparisions?
Like I was reading Recoils post about getting a .22 instead of fixing my air rifle, but if I get a new rifle I want bigger. So im looking at 7MM. what ya think?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I smiled through your reply, you just have a way with words Recoil :)
Yeah about the .45 I see tons of them, but if its that loud then I wont get it. But if I were only fireing on a range, then hell id get a .308. But im doing the shooting on my land. One of my neibors was shooting like 30 rounds a day for a few days. From the ROF I could tell its a semi. Unless he could do the bolt that quick and have good enough target acusition. Doubt it. But ifI can get a 7MM then by all means I will. If I have to get a .22 then I will, I rather have a bigger round.

LoL Recoil, I always wanted to shoot a card at 100 yards heh. I was doing that with that air rifle I been telling you guys about, but it was at 55-65 yards. NOw thats unbelievable! But its true. I was doing it around dusk and i could see the parabolic arch of the pellet in the scope, ah it was so awsome! *memories* thats why I want to make a stock with for it because I love it to much to let go. But I can get a new rifle, a real one and also do a stock for my pellet rifle. :wink:

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

If you are experienced with a .22 air rifle, I don't see much point in getting a .22LR - there is nothing you will learn from it that the air rifle didn't teach you.

If you want a good shooter that isn't too disturbing sound wise, have you thought about .22's centrefires? Such as .22 Hornet, or .218 Bee perhaps?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
The best deal in rifles right now would have to be the various 8mm Mausers that were imported recently. Some of these were made in the former Yugoslavia.

Anyway, the 8mm Mauser is one of the old classics. And with the right load it hits like a .30-06 but recoils like a .243.

I'm not kidding.

A 200 grain Speer bullet will reach 2400 fps when propelled by 44 grains of IMR-4064. This load has serious power, sectional density and accuracy. And it is really soft-shooting. So much so that you will be amazed. You can shoot several hundrend rounds in a day and not be bothered by the recoil. And did I mention accurate?

Surplus 7mm Mausers are not that easy to find nowdays, but should you find one, pounce on it. I have several. These are also wonderful shooters. For 7mm Mauser, I load a mild shootin' load that consists of 42 grain of IMR-4350 with the Sierra 160 grain soft-point boat-tail. I have a 1908 Mauser that will shoot sub MOA with iron sights with this load. (But not in my hands)

The 8mm Mauser is the 7mm Mauser's big brother and the two cartridges are very similar. The 8mm Mauser is the best kept secret in America. The factory US loads are awful; however, with IMR-4064 powder, the round comes alive.

Mad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts