Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Was just thinkin aimlessly and wondering about this, so I thought I would ask your opinion on it.

There are several manufacturers now of scopes with built in digital cameras, like Adirondack Optics "Smart scope" and I have seen pictures taken as the trigger is pulled and the rifle fires. Think this has a place in Law Enforcement?

Maybe since the trigger doesn't have to be pulled to fire the shot, the sniper could use it to gather and e-mail pictures to Command during a prolonged incident, and if he takes a shot, the picture could help him in court to prove he was justified in shooting. Could be a great training aid too, for mounting on a dummy rifle and seeing how much it matters to "shoot" at a moving person. Of course, I mean professionals and a clearly harmless dummy rifle.

What do the pros here say?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I am going to run this one by some of my cohorts at CPD swat and see what they think, I can see good and bad to the idea. You just have to remember that the decision to shoot comes in an instant, and that having video documentation can make you second guess after the shot. I also think that the training value would be good though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
These scopes have been handed out to the general public without taking into account just how dangerous these scopes are, I have seen on numerous occasions people using these as spotting scopes and PANNING the area ( was the Rifle empty or on safe or not ?) I do not like the idea of anyone looking for pictures around here.
Rusty

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OLD TOUCH, some idiots will do anything with a gun, and new technology does seem to give them "excuses" to be dumber and dumber, doesn't it? Heck, most of the losers only need to have a regular scope in the first place to be glassing things they shouldn't! I hear ya though.

Mlammers, I kinda thought the same I guess...In a lot of ways the pictures can be used to harm the sniper, even if he did his job and made the right call...like you said, an instant decision...I was hoping maybe it would help in the way that he has to go before a judge nonetheless, and pictures that show he was in the right might help in some cases...Could it help to gather intel or anything? I was thinking if the situation dragged on, or there was a debate about it, the sniper could show pictures of the bad guys, ID them, prove they had weapons, give the entry team something to look at.

Yeah, the training part would definately be cool. Being able to see on a real person just how different the sight picture really was than what the shooter had in mind...Like the gap between your brain saying "shoot" and the bullet hitting the target...Could prove valuable, yeah. I don't think anyone makes a tactical scope witha digicam yet anyway.

In case anyone thinks I'm smoking crack, in the situation above I mean law enforcement professionals doing this, lol, not me and my chums.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was interupted before I could finish my last post but the way I understand it the US is already trying to impliment this technology into the infantry right now with a wireless modem uplink so that whatever the trooper sees through his scope along with a mini cam setup on his brianbucket is sent to HQ, he also has a small reticle that drops down in front of his eye that gives him information from his rifle scope so that he can put the rifle around a corner without poseing any of his person as a target, this reticle gives him the illusion of a 15" monitor and a point and click mouse that mounts on his chest this way he is able to see and field information from and to all in his squad, right now battery life and weight is a question.
Rusty

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahh yeah, Land Warrior, I think...Really cool stuff! I'm sure once they finish all the tests and see what will survive in a war and what won't they'll have some great toys for the troops.

Ever see the sunglasses that were supposed to come with the OICW? Now those were a trip. The shades actually transmitted what the soldiers were actually seeing, in real time, and the squad leader could press a button to see (On his sunglasses) through the eyes of all of his men at the same time or individually.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts