Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

should I go into more detail about how to do this?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, this is not my idea, but what I want to do to my rifle and wanted to share it with others.
you use pine straw or broom straw to camo your rifle. here are some pics I borrowed from another place on the web.

MORE INFO

A few ideas,

Holding the straw closer or right on the gun gives a cleaner "line"
if you hold the straw farther away it is more blurry.

I think it looks better if the lines are diagonal to the gun, not straight up and down.

use cardboard cut outs of your gun to practice with. experiment with different techniques. (record each step) or video so it is repeatable.

use a combination of pine straw and broom bristles to get different size lines. practice practice practice before painting to get a great como job you like.

I think more than 3 colors makes it look to busy (messy) the pics i posted are the ones I liked best, there were probably 50 others I did not like.

and here is a quick how to,

1st paint the base color

then add your pine needles and paint second color

then it looks like this

then add needles again and another color

then you get this, not bad at all and really simple.

several more fine examples using pine straw

and here are some awesome camo jobs that are just cool

COOL SKULLS if you look close, I went online and found the skull templates to do this with, and will be using it on my AR57, and doing a regular pine needle job on the sniper rifle I think.

the webbing can be done using the mesh laundry bags from wal-mart or fishnet stockings or the stuff you put over rain gutters to keep leaves out or other items,

MORE INFO

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Nice work mate. Looks very sharp indeed.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I really like the pine needle idea! The are I hunt in actually has a lot of pine and notsomuch hardwoods. So, ive been thinkin about tryin to camo my rifle to look like a pine thicket. Reddish brown on the bottom with some grays, blacks, and greens above. Im still tryin to figure a way to do it well tho. But this does give me some ideas... ;)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Looking good I like the skulls too! Those would look sick on the valve covers of my Trans Am! Base coat in silver and matte black over them!

If you will shoot me a PM where you got the stencil!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PM sent,
in case someone else wonders, I found them on E-bay, just type in "skull stencil" and you will find several styles.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Man that looks SO awesome! and looks pretty easy to do for the most part. I think I'm gunna have to try this :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
the skulls are SICK! but i really wanna know how you did the 4th pic camo job on the ar15. I lik the darker camo color.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Does anybody know who did the skull paint job? I'd like to contact them!

·
Registered
11 Posts
excaliber, when you used the mesh netting did you secure it to the gun at all or did you just set it on top and then spray away?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
as I mentioned in the write up, I did not do any of these, I stole it from another gun forum, although I've done stuff similar, my thoughts are it depends what kind of paint job you want,
if you secure it right against it. the outer lines of the webbing will be more defined, if you leave it loose it will be more of a faded transition. (blurry effect)
judging buy the pics I posted I would say the webbing was tight against the gun for a cleaner line.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just wanted to post because I used this process to paint my 17hmr and I think it really turned out nice. It was very easy to do I might add. I posted the pictures of it in the Gallery for all to see.

·
Registered
314 Posts
claytongarber said:
I just wanted to post because I used this process to paint my 17hmr and I think it really turned out nice. It was very easy to do I might add. I posted the pictures of it in the Gallery for all to see.
It took me a few minutes, cuz that V-Day bubbly got to my head... BUT...

That paint job is BAD-ASS!!!

This "Straw" painting is probably the most realistic camo scheme that I've been witness to!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts