Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

201 - 212 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
What kind of results were you getting

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Scattered results. 2 shots touching the next one is off 2 inches. Then then some were all over. All in all it was shooting at 1 MOA, but I need to see .5 MOA to be comfortable. Winds maybe were an issue. But it was just 300y with a win mag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
608 Posts
Scattered results. 2 shots touching the next one is off 2 inches. Then then some were all over. All in all it was shooting at 1 MOA, but I need to see .5 MOA to be comfortable. Winds maybe were an issue. But it was just 300y with a win mag

Maybe a stupid question but are you sure scope rings were tightened to rail good? I've made that mistake before, had a 1/2moa rifle that was shooting 2-3moa got frustrated and when to put it up and noticed a rattle.. quickly found my mounts had come lose

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Maybe a stupid question but are you sure scope rings were tightened to rail good? I've made that mistake before, had a 1/2moa rifle that was shooting 2-3moa got frustrated and when to put it up and noticed a rattle.. quickly found my mounts had come lose

Scope is tight. Could just be that the barrel needed some copper.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Scope is tight. Could just be that the barrel needed some copper.

Yeah, very possible and remember especially with shorter and thinner barrels they can heat up VERY quickly. If your doing your own load dev , in my opinion don't even start dev till its had 50 down the tube. On all my savage barrels except the rare one that was smooth as glass on the bore , I would break in 5 shot groups, i would shoot 5 over a long period, about 15 min, wet patch, 5 strokes with nylon brush then a couple dry patches. Didn't really document against a control barrel that I didn't do that on but after about 50-100 rounds it seems like they would settle alot tighter

·
Registered
608 Posts
Yeah, very possible and remember especially with shorter and thinner barrels they can heat up VERY quickly. If your doing your own load dev , in my opinion don't even start dev till its had 50 down the tube. On all my savage barrels except the rare one that was smooth as glass on the bore , I would break in 5 shot groups, i would shoot 5 over a long period, about 15 min, wet patch, 5 strokes with nylon brush then a couple dry patches. Didn't really document against a control barrel that I didn't do that on but after about 50-100 rounds it seems like they would settle alot tighter

Not shorter and thinner^^ but sporter and thinner

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #210

Thanks. I put my own loads through. Around 30. I threw a brush through it, and it’s ready for another batch. Maybe I’ll buy some factory ammo and see if that smoothie a it out a bit.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
Guess it’s true that I had to break her in a bit. I thought all of the sudden I just sucked. Like I forgot how to shoot. I thought I was like Michael Jordan in Space Jams.

201 - 212 of 212 Posts