Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have on the way, a Savage FV-SR in 17hmr. This will be the first Savage I have ever owned, and I already know that the stock is not much. Very flimsy, very Tupperware. I know that Boyds makes a stock for it, but they won't work with the bottom metal that comes with the gun, so there goes more money I don't want to spend right off the bat.

Is there anything you can do to the existing stock to make it better? I'll sand/cut/gouge all I need to, to clear it from touching the barrel, but is there anything else? I don't care what it looks like, so don't hold back. All I ask is that there be something out there that my non trigger hand can hold onto!

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have on the way, a Savage FV-SR in 17hmr. This will be the first Savage I have ever owned, and I already know that the stock is not much. Very flimsy, very Tupperware. I know that Boyds makes a stock for it, but they won't work with the bottom metal that comes with the gun, so there goes more money I don't want to spend right off the bat.

Is there anything you can do to the existing stock to make it better? I'll sand/cut/gouge all I need to, to clear it from touching the barrel, but is there anything else? I don't care what it looks like, so don't hold back. All I ask is that there be something out there that my non trigger hand can hold onto!
My Remington SPS Tac came with a crappy Hogue stock I use a Dremel with a sanding drum to clear out the channel to provide clearance for the barrel the Hogue stock is still in very flexible but being your only shooting a 17 HMR I don't see the flex being a problem for you as long as the barrel does not touch the stock.

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
I have never tried it...but I have seen people hollow out the fore end and put a couple of steel rods and devcon in there. It has to be better than factory...but obviously not as nice as a boyds.

If you are patient and save your money manners makes a stock for savage rimfire. not sure if it would fit yours, but it would be an excellent stock. I have one on my cz455.

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Your going to dump $40-$50 worth a material into trying to get that stock to work. Thats half the cost of a Boyds.

I get it, I'd rather do most things myself rather than pay for it, but sometimes its just not worth the hassle.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Your going to dump $40-$50 worth a material into trying to get that stock to work. Thats half the cost of a Boyds.

I get it, I'd rather do most things myself rather than pay for it, but sometimes its just not worth the hassle.
That's why I got rid of my Hogue stock. If you want to build something good, you need a solid foundation, not one made of rubber.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I've heard of guys using carbon arrows or bolts instead of steel rods to add stiffness to a flexible stock.

But yeah, a boyd's stock pillar bedded is much better. Another $100-$150 or so from there and you can get a B&C Medalist

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the steel rod/carbon arrow idea. I assume you mean drilling out the length of the foreend, meaning foreend tip back to the action? Not crosscuts? You think the carbon arrow (only reason I ask is because of weight & because I have some) will be stiff enough? Any stiffness is better than what I got I guess. One other thing, if I go this route, is this crap factory stock going to be hollow? Any lightweight material you could fill it with that wouldn't weigh a ton and would harden to a good stiffness? Just thinking?

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
You could always use JB weld to anchor the arrows at the ends and in the middle. Then fill the rest with expanding foam.

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Now we're talking NCF. That's kinda what I was thinking
I still stand by my original comment though. If you spend $40 on all the supplies to modify this stock you might as well just suck it up and get the Boyds.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I like the steel rod/carbon arrow idea. I assume you mean drilling out the length of the foreend, meaning foreend tip back to the action? Not crosscuts? You think the carbon arrow (only reason I ask is because of weight & because I have some) will be stiff enough? Any stiffness is better than what I got I guess. One other thing, if I go this route, is this crap factory stock going to be hollow? Any lightweight material you could fill it with that wouldn't weigh a ton and would harden to a good stiffness? Just thinking?
Unless one can contrive a method to anchor the stiffening rods into the action area all that this accomplishes is to create one huge "stress riser" just ahead of the recoil lug.

You'll spend more money and time in an attempt to "Rube Goldberg" it than it's worth. And the results will come up way short of what a new stock will accomplish.

·
Registered
510 Posts
The amount of time you are going to spend polishing the turd too. Even if you pillar bed the Boyd's I would think it would be 1/4 the time needed then what you are talking about.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts