Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm probably doing it wrong - what else... And if it is already covered somewhere else, sorry, I couldn't find it.

Is it possible to get a scope all dialed in on a particular rifle, then remove it and replace it, on the same rifle, with a different scope that you then get dialed in (think daylight and IR) and then just somehow be able to go back and forth between them without having to re-zero? If it is possible, are there any steps or tricks to make it easier and/or more fool proof? It would be nice to just swap scopes when the sun goes down and keep on trucking.

Inquiring minds want to know!

thanks

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
With quality scope mounts it will be close, but I wouldn’t trust it without a shot or two just to make sure. Some mounts are more repeatable than others. You will have to do some research to find the right ones as I have not gone down this road yet.

If you try it, Push scope forward while tightening the rings. Otherwise it can take a few rounds for it to settle in from recoil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
From my experience, even with the best scopes, it is best to check your zero after doing so, especially if you are reaching out past 100m. If they are high quality mounts, you will certainly be close but for critical shooting you need to send a round or two downrange just to confirm.

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have two different scopes that each have the same brand QD mount attached. One scope is a prism scope for daytime and the other is an IR night scope. I use them both for hogs, day and night. I've never had to re-zero after switching. I've switched back and forth at least 3-4 dozen times. Still putting them down at 130 yds with one shot. They have stayed zeroed for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes you can with a quality mount and scope. You will zero on the primary rifle. After that you should have a notebook to keep notes of offsets for all the rest of your rifle you want to run it on. If your scope has a tree style reticle It makes it easy (Horus reticle is the first I can think of). I do it with my USO B10 and American Defense mount on 2 different rifles. Just be consistent on how you swap the mount between rifles to keep a consistent zero point. When mounting on the other rifle. I snug the QD levers just enough that I can still slide the mount on the rail. Push the mount forward and then fully engage the levers.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
The scopes that I now use regularly have tree reticles so once I zero the rifle, I don't touch the turrets and simply use the tree for elevation and wind.

So with a Tree reticle, IN THEORY, you might be able zero with the flat shooter and set the zero on the turret and then adjust the turrets for the other shooter when you zero the second weapon. Swapping back and forth might work with a scope that has turrets that track well so you can record the zero position of the turrets for each weapon on a piece of tape on the scope. I never tried it but it might work..

OR you can just get a Desert Tech and just use one scope and swap out barrels and maybe bolts for other calibers and call it a day.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you are wanting to do a regular day scope and night vision on the same rifle, why not just use a clip on that basically just adds NV to the dayscope? The day scope will stay in place and then when needed, you can add the NV without having to do anything to the day scope.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts