Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

carbon barrels

5K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  mele 
#1 ·
i was watching the hunting chanel and one of the sponcer's of this show was Christensen arms thay make carbon barrel's and i was wondering what you think of carbon barrel's and if you could get one of the gun's and test it for me becouse im thinking of getting one

hear's the web page that you could find it
http://www.christensenarms.com/carbonhunter.htm

#5 ·
This is not new technology. It has been tried for several years in the archery industry. While what Mel said about rigidity and light weight is true carbon does not handle vibration and shock very well. I have shot a few bows that had carbon risers and I didn't care much for them. They were very light and would shake your fillings loose. They were also having major problems with limb bolts pulling out and whacking you over the head (saw this happen with a High Country bow) and stabilizer mounts vibrating and working themselves loose. The carbon is so rigid that it causes itself to fail due to those harmonic vibrations. But I have no idea how it performs on rifles.

#6 ·
As for cooling, I can see that as a black surface will have a higher emissivity then shiney stainless, but radiation heat transfer should be fairly minor. Should have a lower heat capacity, but would have much much lower thermal conductivity (less conductivity). An interesting heat transfer problem... I may do some calculations and see what I can come up with. I think it sounds like a gimick...

#8 ·
Did a little looking and this is what i found this in an comparison of 4 types of riffles and the Christensen Arms carbon one was one of the and it did not do so well how ever i still think that the caron barrel is a good idea an if any body can find a target quality carbon or even a mid ranged barrel id like to know

http://www.gun-tests.com/performance/au ... tguns.html

#9 ·
Mel,

I'm going to have to put that quest for calculations on hold. I lost all my engineering text books in an apartment fire last weekend, so I'll have to borrow some from the library and look through them there. That, and I'm not sure where to find the pertinent information for carbon composite...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.