Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Carlos Hathcock White Feather 308, The scope on this rifle I am not familiar with, it is a Hensoldt Wetzlar ZF 500 10x42. Can any one give me any info on the rifle and the scope? Iam new to the site and just joined, love what I see here though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont know how to post the photos, There is no special reason for me choosing the whitefeather, I have wanted a Springfield rifle for a while a ran across this rifle for a good price that I could not turn down.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hensoldt Wetzler use to make scopes for HK among others. Other than I think they're German thats all I can offer. Post some pics thru photobucket.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe you guys can help me out, I like the scope that came with my rifle but when I went to the range to shoot the gun I started at 100 yards and the gun was shooting 1.5 ft high at 100 so I made some ajustments and the elevation knob bottomed out, the scope is shimed but when I remove the shims the scope free turns inside the rings. Can anyone help?

Thanks, Bear

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bosscj5

Mine is the Springfield M 25 semi auto 308. Nice camo job ,did you do that yourself if so some pointers would be nice.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I can say that as a company, Hensoldt makes very fine optics and has been around at least as long as WW2. I have fire a few K98's with Hensoldt post reticle scopes. The glass is better than any of the Burris, Weaver, Simmons etc.. and durability is up there too. I have a 6X 30mm Hensoldt mounted on a FN-FAL that gets serioulsly abused. The thing always holds a zero and hasn't broke yet. I "hear" that the setup on the white feather is top notch, but no hands on for that particular model. I wish I had one. Now get out and put some rounds through it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
bear sorry for the confusion :oops: the paint job was done by the company in the link. i personally am a fan of tac-ops black-t and green-t :mrgreen: :wink:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Bear,

I *think* the shims you are talking about are adapters that allow a 1" tube scope to fit 30 mm rings. Sound right?

And this should be a picture of your rifle:

But there are alot of companies that invoke the name or call sign of the legendary sniper. The pic above is Springfield Armory's Whitefeather M25.

How am I doing so far?

·
Registered
449 Posts
thats not my rifle in the pic it belongs to a friend. the company is under new managment. i havent delt with them personally. i recommend giving them a call.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats exactly what my rifle looks like, I think you are correct on the scope, What can I do to get the scope to zero starting at 100 yards? It is shooting 1.5 ft high at 100???

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
BEAR 45 said:
Maybe you guys can help me out, I like the scope that came with my rifle but when I went to the range to shoot the gun I started at 100 yards and the gun was shooting 1.5 ft high at 100 so I made some ajustments and the elevation knob bottomed out, the scope is shimed but when I remove the shims the scope free turns inside the rings. Can anyone help?
1.5 feet at 100 yards is (about) 18 MoA. So your scope is probably sitting on a 20 MoA base.

I suspect that scope SHOULD have about 60 MoA of total adjustment. To verify that the scope has this adjustment range. Dial the elevationturret in one direction until it bottoms (or tops) out. Then, while counting the clicks, turn the turret in the other direction until the scope tops (or bottoms) out. To set the scope dead center, turn the turrets the original direction for 1/2 of the counted clicks. The manual that came with the scope should give you an idea as to how much of an adjustment a single click makes in the PoA. Multiply this number by the counted clicks and you have the adjustment range of the scope.

Remove bolt and position rifle on a rest so that you can look through the bore and through the scope without touching the rifle. Point the rifle by looking through the bore at a target 25 yards away. dial the scope turrets until the cross-hairs in the scope are pointing at the target. This will put you about 4" high at 100 yards. If you cannot achieve this "bore sighting", then you should consider changing the base.

·
Registered
1 Posts
HENSOLDT SCOPE

I HAVE A SAUER WEATHERBY 300 GERMAN MADE MARK V WEATHERBY
THAT APPEARS TO HAVE BEEN PURCHASED IN GERMANY WITH A HENSOLDT AND WETZLAR SCOPE WITH A UNIQUE MOUNTING ATTACHMENT FOR REMOVING THE SCOPE ALLOWING ONE TO USE THE
OPEN SIGHTS. SCOPE DUE TO AGE NEEDS SOME REPAIR AND I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO LOCATE A REPAIRMAN FOR THIS SCOPE. THE RETICLE IS ALSO UNIQUE IN THAT IT'S SIZE ADJUST AS YOU CHANGE THE VARIABLENESS OF THE SCOPE.

JUST WONDERING WHO WOULD BE GOOD TO CONTACT FOR SCOPE REPAIR ON THIS TYPE OF SCOPE.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Do you have to zero at 100yds or can you zero at 200yds?? That should work fine with a 20MOA base.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Re: HENSOLDT SCOPE

DEWAYNE HOBBS said:
I HAVE A SAUER WEATHERBY 300 GERMAN MADE MARK V WEATHERBY
THAT APPEARS TO HAVE BEEN PURCHASED IN GERMANY WITH A HENSOLDT AND WETZLAR SCOPE WITH A UNIQUE MOUNTING ATTACHMENT FOR REMOVING THE SCOPE ALLOWING ONE TO USE THE
OPEN SIGHTS. SCOPE DUE TO AGE NEEDS SOME REPAIR AND I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO LOCATE A REPAIRMAN FOR THIS SCOPE. THE RETICLE IS ALSO UNIQUE IN THAT IT'S SIZE ADJUST AS YOU CHANGE THE VARIABLENESS OF THE SCOPE.

JUST WONDERING WHO WOULD BE GOOD TO CONTACT FOR SCOPE REPAIR ON THIS TYPE OF SCOPE.
Ummmmm.....Caps lock much?

Branden

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Did a quick rummage through some of my old gun magazines and couldn't find the ad I was looking for. There is a company that runs a small ad in the back of most of them that advertises scope repair. Been doing for lots of years which means he's either good or good a fooling people.

IIRC this guy has been mentioned in a couple of articles as good to use.

Maybe someone else can give you a better pointer, because this ain't much.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts