Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read his book and other articles about him and have nothing but respect for the guy, but what makes him stand out so much? Looking at the War Time List he was number 4 in Vietnam and almost every sniper in WWII has more kills than him (although none listed are USA).

I'm curious to know why the public holds him in such high regard. As far as I know, he's the only sniper to ever have a rifle named after him.

Like I said, I have nothing but respect for the guy, I just don't understand his celebrity in the community.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,206 Posts
What really earned the guy such fame was one of the missions he accepted back in vietnam. It basically gained him his choice of duty. Not to mention that he held the world record kill (distance wise) until recent years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
I believe his actual assignment for his first tour was as an instructor with the 1st Marine Division scout/sniper school. I think the students did most of their learning in a sort of OJT/apprenticeship type of environment. They learned to be snipers by going out with the instructors.

I'm guessing this allowed Hathcock more freedom in the way he operated than snipers assigned to one of the regimental scout/sniper platoons ever experienced. It also resulted in him being borrowed by men in civilian clothes when he wasn't busy training students. I'd have to re-read the book but I don't think the mission to kill the general and the French interrogator came from the Marine Corps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
I have always thought of him as the author of the modern sniper of sorts. Maybe I could be wrong, but if I remember correctly wasn’t he even involved with developing a better rifle after Vietnam.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,378 Posts
Kill count isn't the only thing that a sniper gains recognition for. His skills separate from shooting eveidently were second to none. I've heard it said that he did things Hollywood doesn't dream of. His attitude was that he was saving fellow marines lives and he put himself fully into that role, accomplishing his operations and conducting himself in such a fashion that he gained and deserves much respect. Even if he hadn't gotten even a single confirmed, his name might still be spoken with much the same tone as it is now, but for his other characteristics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts
no insertion into north Vietnam came from marines, ill tell you that, SOG had to be who put him in, and SOG is a joint op. only the best, (they got some,well,let's say "choice" missions.) , sniping was essential to platoon survival especially in the Danang I corp area.

some young LT's that worked in SOG got tired of mines killing new guys that just flew in to DaNang so they camped the road with starlight scopes and a Winny and set up sectors and took out the ladies (who sold them cold soda when they returned from a mission) :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
gtrmn768 said:
no insertion into north Vietnam came from marines, ill tell you that, SOG had to be who put him in.....
SOG was strictly a studies and observation group. SOG never crossed any borders it wasn't invited to cross, and CERTAINLY never knowingly participated in such mischief as taking in snipers. Believing that SOG would do such a thing is like believing in Area 51. How could you spread such malicious rumors! Besides, everyone knows that John Kerry took him in, by boat, single-handed, while everyone else was celebrating Christmas...:wink:

K2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,206 Posts
K2 said:
gtrmn768 said:
no insertion into north Vietnam came from marines, ill tell you that, SOG had to be who put him in.....
SOG was strictly a studies and observation group. SOG never crossed any borders it wasn't invited to cross, and CERTAINLY never knowingly participated in such mischief as taking in snipers. Believing that SOG would do such a thing is like believing in Area 51. How could you spread such malicious rumors! Besides, everyone knows that John Kerry took him in, by boat, single-handed, while everyone else was celebrating Christmas...:wink:

K2
LOL! Are you sure George Bush Sr. wasn't involved too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,715 Posts
K2 wrote:
gtrmn768 wrote:
no insertion into north Vietnam came from marines, ill tell you that, SOG had to be who put him in.....


SOG was strictly a studies and observation group. SOG never crossed any borders it wasn't invited to cross, and CERTAINLY never knowingly participated in such mischief as taking in snipers. Believing that SOG would do such a thing is like believing in Area 51. How could you spread such malicious rumors! Besides, everyone knows that John Kerry took him in, by boat, single-handed, while everyone else was celebrating Christmas...

K2


LOL! Are you sure George Bush Sr. wasn't involved too.
Come on.................. havent you guys seen Missing in Action? It was Chuck Norris :mrgreen:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts
:evil: :evil: I've probably read more first hand accounts on the matter of SOG, than any of you, SOG is a special interest of mine, my grandpa worked for SOG and since then I have read numerous books on the matter, read Project Alpha, it is every detail you never were supposed to know and it's true taken right off pages found in national archives and pentagon papers etc. you want to argue SOG with me read some more into it, if youd like a copy of project alpha since it's out of print i happen to have two nice copies :eek: , i suggest any book written by John Plaster, and Thom Nicholson, and whoever elses books i have on the shelf :p :p , SOG specialized in cross border recon, Italian Green mission(booby trap ammo depots, and reload locations, and destroy truck parks), they also served as a specialty extraction team to rescue downed pilots and whoever else was in the "wrong" area. Studies and Observations is one name, Special Operations Group, is another they made more than one monaker to make it's true intentions discrete, just because it says studies and observations doesnt mean thats what they did, perhaps next time read on something before you pretend you know it all. :wink: , i dont claim to know it all but i certainly know more than you on this subject,

Muzz Dont hate me, Snowy Dont hate me, Mod's i had to make a correction, hope you understand
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,206 Posts
gtrmn768 said:
:evil: :evil: I've probably read more first hand accounts on the matter of SOG, than any of you, SOG is a special interest of mine, my grandpa worked for SOG and since then I have read numerous books on the matter, read Project Alpha, it is every detail you never were supposed to know and it's true taken right off pages found in national archives and pentagon papers etc. you want to argue SOG with me read some more into it, if youd like a copy of project alpha since it's out of print i happen to have two nice copies :eek: , i suggest any book written by John Plaster, and Thom Nicholson, and whoever elses books i have on the shelf :p :p , SOG specialized in cross border recon, Italian Green mission(booby trap ammo depots, and reload locations, and destroy truck parks), they also served as a specialty extraction team to rescue downed pilots and whoever else was in the "wrong" area. Studies and Observations is one name, Special Operations Group, is another they made more than one monaker to make it's true intentions discrete, just because it says studies and observations doesnt mean thats what they did, perhaps next time read on something before you pretend you know it all. :wink: , i dont claim to know it all but i certainly know more than you on this subject,

Muzz Dont hate me, Snowy Dont hate me, Mod's i had to make a correction, hope you understand
Down boy! I was just haveing a little fun with the previous comment.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,927 Posts
everyone just give the kid lots of room, no one look him in the eyes or show him your teeth, and he'll settle down again.

and everyone knows it was rambo not chuck norris he was busy inventing the bolt action the 4 wheel drive and sexual intercourse while that happened.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,715 Posts
and everyone knows it was rambo not chuck norris he was busy inventing the bolt action the 4 wheel drive and sexual intercourse while that happened.
:lol: you are right i forgot about that. The hoff was also there :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,619 Posts
Speaking of MACVSOG, another good read is from Raymond D. Harris called "Break contact, Continue mission"
Ray's a friend of mine and a fine human being.

He served with John Plaster and Frank Miller (who was awarded The Congressional Medal of Honor) at Kontum.(sp)

Out!
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top