Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty green to reloading, looking for some help from the Master Yoda's of reloading!! Trying to reload for a M-14 EBR clone with a Wolfe match standard barrel. I went through the process of measuring the chamber. What I came up with for my CBTO would be 2.133 in order to be 2 thou off the lands. Out of curiousity I measured a Federal SMK 175gr bullet and they had 2.223. The diference in OAL length seems significant to me, is the difference acceptable or do I need to reevaluate?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Pretty green to reloading, looking for some help from the Master Yoda's of reloading!! Trying to reload for a M-14 EBR clone with a Wolfe match standard barrel. I went through the process of measuring the chamber. What I came up with for my CBTO would be 2.133 in order to be 2 thou off the lands. Out of curiousity I measured a Federal SMK 175gr bullet and they had 2.223. The diference in OAL length seems significant to me, is the difference acceptable or do I need to reevaluate?
Did you do a apples to apples measuring? The ogive on lets say 175 berger will be different than the ogive distance of a 175 smk. Even then its not unusual to have a spread of .003 across the same box. Its sounds to me like you may have had a measuring error to have nearly 1/10th of a difference

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you do a apples to apples measuring? The ogive on lets say 175 berger will be different than the ogive distance of a 175 smk. Even then its not unusual to have a spread of .003 across the same box. Its sounds to me like you may have had a measuring error to have nearly 1/10th of a difference

I did use a SMK 175gr bullet when I measured. The only differnce was the Hornandy modified case against the Federal brass.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I did use a SMK 175gr bullet when I measured. The only differnce was the Hornandy modified case against the Federal brass.
That could be your difference. Try this method, some of the guys in here were talking about it.. its the method my dad, uncles and alot of old timers use and I did it several times on 3 different fire arms and results are so far 100% repeatable and make sure you use same case and bullet when getting your measurements. Each manufacturers bullet will require doing the measurement again because their ogive distNce is different

·
Registered
82 Posts
That could be your difference. Try this method, some of the guys in here were talking about it.. its the method my dad, uncles and alot of old timers use and I did it several times on 3 different fire arms and results are so far 100% repeatable and make sure you use same case and bullet when getting your measurements. Each manufacturers bullet will require doing the measurement again because their ogive distNce is different

+1

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I hadn't seen this method, good to know for my bolt guns but can I do this for semi auto?

·
Registered
611 Posts
I hadn't seen this method, good to know for my bolt guns but can I do this for semi auto?
Hes, it will work on semi as well.. just remove your lower reciever and a block like the really helps but you then just follow the seating progression until you can get your carrier into full battery position. One thing to not, (at least with my gas guns) chambers are very tight and you get resistance getting them into battery so i marked the pill with a fine tip sharie and repeat till I didnt see the line move

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I had a lengthy discussion with a guy from Berger bullets and a guy from Forster dies on the same topic. Berger says the important measurement is the base of the bullet to the ogive. Well the bullet is pushed into the case using a cup like seating device that does not generally push down near the ogive. The result is you get different base to ogive measurements in the finished product. I started sorting bullets by length and that seemed to help the base to ogive variations I think you are referring to. Just my .02.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I had a lengthy discussion with a guy from Berger bullets and a guy from Forster dies on the same topic. Berger says the important measurement is the base of the bullet to the ogive. Well the bullet is pushed into the case using a cup like seating device that does not generally push down near the ogive. The result is you get different base to ogive measurements in the finished product. I started sorting bullets by length and that seemed to help the base to ogive variations I think you are referring to. Just my .02.
I would definitely agree. I never really messed with it till awhile back when you and I were talking about it, ever since I've been sorting by pill base to ogive measument

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
The base of bullet to ogive seem to be fairly consistent. I’m sorting length overall of the bullet. IMO since the bullet is pressed down from the tip and since most seating dies do not press bullet in at the ogive, loading groups of bullets with consistent lengths seems to help consistent LOA consistency. I did get another seating cup(not sure of tech term) that Forster sent me when I discussed this issue with them.

·
Registered
611 Posts
The base of bullet to ogive seem to be fairly consistent. I’m sorting length overall of the bullet. IMO since the bullet is pressed down from the tip and since most seating dies do not press bullet in at the ogive, loading groups of bullets with consistent lengths seems to help consistent LOA consistency. I did get another seating cup(not sure of tech term) that Forster sent me when I discussed this issue with them.
Yeah, they call them seating stems.. i bought 2 boxes of ATIPS (still have not load deved them) but I am expecting it to be simpler. Pulled them from their box slot sequinchely and measured base to ogive and the first few rows measured so close to identical that my mitsuoyos did not see the needle move, over the whole box I had maybe 10 that moved a thou to 1/2 thou.. across all my ELD ,berger and SMKs I had .003 spread when averaged, the bergers were slightly better but still didn't have as small of spread as the ATIPS. Hope to try the puppies out soon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts