Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if the Centerpoint scopes are worth a damn? I have a Leupold Mark 4, 6.5-20x50mm,but a friend of mine is just getting started and asked me if I would ask around about them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I mounted one on a 50 BMG recently. Features wise its pretty nice, mine had 57 moa of vertical adjustment, 37moa of it UP and 20moa Down. The knobs actually move closer to 65-70moa, but only 57moa of clicks actually work, the rest on down range ~10moa did not work(on this scope it was downward clicks that did not work). Many things about it are just right for a tactical scope, 4-16mag, exposed lockable target turrents, .25moa clicks, mildot reticle, and you get a full 15moa of adjustment per revolution. There is extended eye relief (important for this application), maybe 3.75-4" guess, more than most scopes I have looked through. The clicks are fairly nice and possitive with audible clicks, the presure required to turn them varies a little as it rotates, downside is there are no turn counters (since there is 15moa per turn its not a huge deal). Windage elevation is limited on the one I tested it with, about 10moa each direction (which is actually enough for me). The reason I said one is I tried 3 of them. One went on a rimfire I mounted for friend, after carrying it around for several days in the car, looking across fields, around points in the neighborhood, etc I desided I needed to buy one. One was messed up out of the box (last 10moa of up adjustment also moved it to the right). All three were either 56 or 57 of total adjustment. The other two appear to have accurate .25moa clicks (I have seen other budget scopes that seem decent but the clicks are not stated value or the click values change depending how far you are from center). It comes with caps that are surprisingly decent, they are copys of the buttler creek objective covers. I will probably replace the eye one with a buttler creek eye style release cover.

Here is a view:

Pictures like this are very difficult take, judge, especially since I have no photo skills and this is a 8yr old basic digital camera. I have a Falcon on my 308, I've spend time behind a Nightforce, Leupould and 10x Super Sniper. Also have 2 BSA and 2 Simmons, and 1 Barsaka scope. Its difficult to say without looking at everythign together. Looking at targets 200ys out I would say the nicer optics are a hair more clear, but its nothing thats a tactical advanage, if there was a squirl at 200yds I could target them equally well. I looked through the Centerpoint at longer ranges through fields, etc but not back to back with the nicer scopes so I hate to even say. The focus settings on it go very low and up to 200yd mark then next to infinity, my nicer scope had higher settings.

I just opened up google earth to range the house I spend a lot of time looking at through my office windows, it is 369yds, at that distance it is very clear and in focus through my office window that has a screen. If I had needed to shoot a target, enemy, deer, paper at this range I could do it just as easy with this as with a high end setup. I should be heading to the range this weekend weather permitting me and firends are shooting 308s, so should be able to compare to a Nightforce, Leupould, SS, and Falcon, and I'll bring some other budget scopes maybe we can look at one of those focus sheets so the clarity will not just be a matter of opinion but instead more measureable.

One of the better things about it is the price, $69, you can just take it back to walmart for 100% refund without question, vs trying to go through return process and eating shipping charges both ways or more with a a online vendor. Lifetime warranty after the 90day walmart money back thing. Effectively, this makes it the best scope waranty in the business outside of Vortex Optics (Lifetime NO FAULT). If it doesn't work out it is probably the best rimfire bang for buck you can buy, or sell it for a hair less on ebay.

This is probably one of the more "common" scopes being sold today, as its Walmart's main line now. I have heard of failures on 22lr, also heard of many on hunting rifles, like a lightweight 30-06 that hold up fine. I feel really cheap for having bought one, I could afford better, but it appears to work so might as well save the money. Ryan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ryan,
I will relay that info to my buddy. He is probably going to buy a scope this weekend and this information will defenitly help with his choice. He will be puting the scope on a Marlin 980s and doesn't have alot to spend, so once again...Thank you.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mine survived its first range trip on a 50 BMG upper mounted on a AR-15 Lower, POI is consistant and did a box test, very happy with it so far. Trying to sell some of other scopes so I can try them on my 22s, which I shoot much more frequently of course.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've had one mounded on a Mossberg ATR 30-06 for almost 2 years now. It has held zero, the adjustments aren't crisp nor are they completely mushy they work though (around 55-60 moa of elevation), the red and green IR still works just fine on same battery (hardly use it), it's 4-16x40 and gets a little dark around 14x but at 10x is very bright and clear edge to edge, eye relief is good, turrets can be zeroed and they lock, fast focus eyepiece works well, front mounted paralox adjustment works good. The scope can take the reverse recoil from an airgun too so you know it's built pretty well. For the money $69 you get a lot of features and okay glass. Best entry level scope under $100 IMO YMMV.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts