Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard some talk about being able to take an aciton and being able to adapt it to different calibers? If so, what are my options w/ a .308. Planning my next project with my 5R (probably over a year away). Just curious, thx in advance.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
The first two that come to mind are th 6.5x08 (othwise known as the .260) and the 7x08.

Then you can also AI both of those if you want more velocity.

You can also look ast some of the WSM varieties, or the WSSM varieties, or the SAUM (but you better move fast as they may disapear before you get your rig built).

Then you mihgt go with the 6mm variations like 6x08 (otherwise known as the .243)

With the .308, anything built off of the .308 brass or the bolt face of that chambering you can use as long as it fits into a short action.

JeffVN

I like the .260 best, but some people are doing killer things with the 6mm improved variations using the 6BR case on a short action.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Like Jeffvn said any cartrige that fits the action for lenght and with the standard base. 6.5-284 will fit too
Cliffy

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
ou have two major limiting factors with any action. The lenghtg of the action and the size of the bolt face.

In general terms you have 3 action lengths, short, long and magnum ie 416 rigby length. You can but a short cartrage in a too long action, with possable feed problems, but you cant chamber a long action round in a short action.

Bolt faces have I believe 3 standard sizes, small large and magnum. BTW please correct me if I am wrong in this. The size of the case head (diameter) determins this. with this you can take a bolt face with a small bolt face and make it larger, but you can not take a lerger one and make it smaller, you would have to add steel. I believe ther are also a few odd ball case head sizes that do not fit the 3 standard sizes, but this is far beyond my limited knowledge.

Long story longer the .308 win has a short action and large bolt face. Any caliber that fits with those two facters are what you can reload to. My question is what do you want to do with the rifle? Do you mind a wildcat cartridge?

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not sure what I want to do with it yet. I was hoping I could go up in size, if the chamber is opened up some and a bigger bolt is used, can I go w/ something like a 300WSM (that is the short magnum right?)

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
APK-223 said:
not sure what I want to do with it yet. I was hoping I could go up in size, if the chamber is opened up some and a bigger bolt is used, can I go w/ something like a 300WSM (that is the short magnum right?)
Corresct, I tink there is a WSM and a WSSM or winchester super short magnum. I am not familar with the performance of the two or the specs, and yes you can open the bolt face.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I did the 308win to 300WSM with one of my rifles, just opened up the bolt face set barrel back a touch and recamberd to 300WSM. the only thing is the mag follower and mag need the be reworked to feed properly and it won't hold as many rounds of 300WSM.
Cliffy

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cliffy- Are you happy with the gun now? What kind of barrel did you put on it? Also, to the experts out there, 2 questions.

1. Is the 300WSM a good cartridge?

2. Can I get a kit or something to fit a box mag to my 700, thus increasing capacity.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Its what I'am currently using as my main hunting rifle and I just recamberd the oridginal barrel that was 308win. I shoot well, haven't shoot group from the bench with it but I did check my 250yd 0 just before I went out on the last hunt and put 3 round in kneeing posistion inside of an 1 and a half from cold barrel. I also ran it over the chony last summer with 180 power point factory ammo was 3050fps with only 30fps spread on high to low.
Cliffy

·
Registered
207 Posts
HS Precision makes a DM mod for a Rem 700, but it will set you back $210 plus a magazine. TAKE NOTE: i dont know if the 10 round mag will work with a WSM, i just know it is a 10 rounder designed for the 308. Thats the only way i can think of to increase capacity, if it works.
Hope it helps
Chris

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thx, when the time comes I will research it more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anonymous Proxy ? What's that ? In most cases, general purposes proxy servers ( from proxy list ) do inform the target server about the address of the computer that made the request, transmitting the IP-address and other personal information to the website. But among different kinds of proxy servers ( from proxy list ) there are so called anonymous proxy servers ( from proxy list ) that can hide your IP address, which is a unique ID assigned to identify your location, as well as many other personal information, thereby saving you from vulnerabilities related to it.: http://www.checkproxy.net

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
insurmountable said:
Anonymous Proxy ? What's that ? In most cases, general purposes proxy servers ( from proxy list ) do inform the target server about the address of the computer that made the request, transmitting the IP-address and other personal information to the website. But among different kinds of proxy servers ( from proxy list ) there are so called anonymous proxy servers ( from proxy list ) that can hide your IP address, which is a unique ID assigned to identify your location, as well as many other personal information, thereby saving you from vulnerabilities related to it.: http://www.checkproxy.net
What the heck was this all about, and what does it have to do with this thread, or any other thread on this site?

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
+1 recoil

dom

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Was he a troublemaker?

Was he a troublemaker, or did he just hit the wrong button and post something in the wrong spot?

At first I thought he was answering a pm.

Mad.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
That was the third time he had placed the same link in a dead/unrelated thread. The link takes you to a page where I'm sure he has banners or other marketing tools to make money by getting traffic.l

MEL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts