Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"I did get the chance to talk with Mike a few weeks ago about doing a M24 BBL on my police rifle. Can say he seems like a real down to earth guy, and knows his ****. Offered me a hell of a miliatry discount to do the work. But after talking with him he mentioned the Army may be retrofitting ALL m24 to a new round..........338 short magnum or something to the tune of that. Brand new round, and sounds like he will be getting the gig for the project. I hope so, am getting tired of 118 dropping on the toes of targets past 900 meters"
This is a snip from arfcom from a Guard Sniper that was posting some pics of his M24 beside his PSS. The Mike he is speaking of is Mike Rock. My question is the new round 338 short mag?? Any truth to this?? MEL........fill us in

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
So far, I know at least Winchester could not make a 338 short mag. I read an article in which some people tried, as well...It soaks up too much case capacity and its hard to fit into an action, I gathered was the gist. Anyway, thats why winchester released their .325 WSM instead of a .338

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks............that .325 does look good! I wonder how long it will stay around?

That coversation took place in the last couple of months........or so they say.................

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Yeah, .325 WSM looks hot...Flat shooter, higher SD and BC than some 338 rounds (like win mag, for a hunter) but I'd like to try it long range.

If someone did make a 338 short mag, more power to them. I heard they couldn't reproduce 338 Win Mag energy levels, forget about Lapua, when the people in the magazine tried.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
I never claim to know everything, so I may be off when I say this.

No, as far as I know, there is no plans to change the main stream M24's to a new .338 caliber. There are no plans to change the main stream M24's to any caliber other than 7.62x51 NATO. I will not speak for the SF units, they tend to do a lot of things differently and are generally doing more high speed stuff with their rifles than the regular line units.

For the army to change thier 5000+ M24's to a new caliber, it would have to be a NATO standard cartridge and there would have to be plenty of ammo in the inventory to support it.

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Army SF units do have .338 Lapua M-24's... but like Mel said... SF is off in there own little world... SOCOM funding helps alot too. Just as Naval Special Warfare / Marine SF units have .300 Win Mags M-40 type rifles...

BC

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I hope so, am getting tired of 118 dropping on the toes of targets past 900 meters
Aim higher :roll:

If that guy cant compensate for drop at 900 meters with a 10 power scope... he shouldnt call himself a "Sniper"... just my 2 cents.

I will admit... the .308... even with M-118LR ammo... isnt well suited for 1,000 yard shooting. It is droping at a pretty fast rate at that range... but there have been plenty of 1,000 + yard one shot kills with .308 rifles... heck... Carlos had no problem with his 30-06 out to 1,400 yards on hill 55.

BC

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Record in Iraq right now with 308 is a Marine who made a shot at 1,050 yards right?

Seems it can be done lol.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Longest "confirmed" kill with a .308 rifle in iraq is 1,050 yards by a US Marine Scout Sniper. Longest "unconfirmed" kill in iraq took place just before the main assault on Fallujah with an M-40A3 by a US Marine Scout Sniper from STA 1/1 at a distance of 1,220 yards.

Now... .50BMG and .408 CheyTac caliber rifles... thats a whole nother story.

BC

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I like how the common point between the two kills is 'marine scout sniper'. God bless the USA!!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts