Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine told me that a local gun shop had a used mauser action for sale. My ears perked up as all the reading i've been doing on them as well as mlammers DIY and muzzles info help alot. I go to the shop and I find out its a new action. I'm kind of turned off at this point. Its a large ring bolt, steel floor plate, something about the safety that I didn't understand. Were talking more and then I find thats he wants $600 bucks (canadian) for it and that it is also a chinese made action. I know that there is a ban on chinese imports to the US right now but anyone know of these actions? Are they good or are they just crap? It did seem ok but I really have no intention on buying one. Especially at that price. But he also said that 2 of the more known gunsmiths around here buy them and build custom rifles off these actions. I think hes just tryin to make a sale.

TY guys
I think I'll wait till a goos used k98 shows up

Geoff

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
To be honest, id look for a yugo. my .02 .

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Yugoslavian M-48 Mausers are around $300 brand new (made back in the 40's) with all the original accesories... www.MitchellSales.com

These are great rifles.. i have 3 of them. They are actually made on German WW2 tooling that the Nazi's left behind in there hasty retreat.

BC

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Geoff, lol, thanks for mentioning my mauser build. I should have more info and updates on that tomorrow.

Some places for ya to check out are P&S Militaria, in Quebec, Ellwood Epps in Ontario, and Valleyguns.com, also in Ontario. I don't have the links offhand but all have websites. The Yugos used to be selling cheap but the supply has dried up. Ah, there is also Marstar at www.Marstar.ca. They're good people, I buy from them a lot. They still have some Yugoes left as well as some sweet Kar98ks. They're German rifles, just captured by the Yugoes.

All in all, lots of good milsurp stuff there. Keep your eyes peeled and you'll find a good mauser to build on.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I got two yugos building right now, I will put pics up in the morning. They are real cherry, ordered as actions only, and they are the best mausers I have ever seen. The bolt faces were both square, as were the receiver faces(both were tested using die marking). The bolt lugs were 90% or better on both as well, the german machinery use on these is evident, they are superior grade actions.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Did you hand pick the actions from a store near you? Or did you order them online. I am trying to find some US online sites. (Fun reading though Muzzle!)

John

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
He baught the actions through sarco, one of the rifles he is building is for me. I will have the first offical LOSOK custom rifle. Although we both think they screwed up and sent me a hand pick by mistake. I'm not complaining.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Big 5 in the US usually carried mauser 98's. Some yugo I believe. I never have looked close at them. Not sure if you can get them accross the border.

http://www.big5sportinggoods.com/

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The Big5 Mauser's are old worn out rifles... many of them have barrels / actions so worn out they are not worth buying unless you want a wall hanger.

BC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts