Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
im not a major fan of choate stocks. There seems that theres gotta be another stock out there that does the same thing that doesnt suck, so my suggestion would be to find it.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep........I am not a big fan of the choate stocks myself. I don't own one, but I have held an empty one before.

Is the beding block anygood in them?

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I've got the Choate Varmint stock and I don't like it

It didn't keep the mag spring secure enough to its floorplate. The bedding seemed good but it didn't change accuracy anyway.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
My experience has been about the same in regards to the Choate. They are an acceptible low cost alternative, but do not match the quality you will get from an HS Precision or McMillan.

MEL

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WELL CRAP.....................................I knew they were not the best (by far), just did not know they were that bad.

Where can I find a folding stock (and it not be the $800 AI stock)????????

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've handled (but not shot) them before and they seem to be a possibility for somebody on a tight (tight!) budget.

One very poor design feature, in my opinion, was the THICK pistol-grip with the sharply abrasive stippling. It was like trying to grasp a splintery 2x4.

I like some of Choates products, but they seem to be asleep at the wheel on some of their others.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Hey, do not let us discourage. You will notice that none of us have used this new folding stock design, we are just going off of experience with their other products. Perhaps they have fixed some of their other issues with this design. We are all interested in hearing about bargins and good deals....

MEL

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Years ago when giant lizards roamed the Earth, I was young. And I owned a stainless steel Ruger Mini-14.

I also had a Choate pistol grip stock for this rifle and it was great. And when I bought the stock, the head honcho of the company, Mr. Garthe Choate, sent me a nice letter.

Their Mini-14 stock is great.

Mad.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mele said:
Hey, do not let us discourage. You will notice that none of us have used this new folding stock design, we are just going off of experience with their other products. Perhaps they have fixed some of their other issues with this design. We are all interested in hearing about bargins and good deals....

MEL
So what you are saying is you want me to be the sucker.........Is that what I hear? You guys are sooooooooo kind! :lol:

I say we need to get MEL one of these to review for SC. What is the chance of that happining? Or who would we call to make it happen, anyone have any contacts? WE ALL KNOW MEL HAS PLENTY OF SPAIR TIME!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Here is the deal, this has worked MORE than once.

If several of you (sometimes only takes one) contact Choate (or a dealer) and ask them to have a 3rd party, snipercentral.com, do a review, it works just about every time.

I would be happy to do it and provide a write up.

MEL

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
okay okay okay... if someone will at least just find me an email address, I'll contact them to see if they can provide an evaluation/demo stock for us to evaluate.

MEL

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I'll call em tommorrow mel. Get it rolling.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Hey, mel i tried to call em... no such luck.. they wanted to try and sell me one at a discounted cost.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Hum, thats interesting.... they scared to have their stuff reviewed?
You call the factory or the place selling them ?

MEL

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I called what I thought was Choate, i'll try again tommorrow... I ran into this problem with steiner optics while trying to set up a review for you... They wanted to sell me a pair of binoculars at a 30 percent discount for "review purposes".

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The might think your BSing them and only want a free stock... maybe if a bunch of us call in for a review stock for SC.com and they see phone numbers from all over the place they will get the picture...

BC

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I dunno, this is sometimes the normal MO for certain companies. We'll see what happens...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts