Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A well meaning friend picked up 1500 rounds of 5.56 and wants to gift me. It was tarnished however and he cleaned by tumbling in a vinegar salt solution, then air dried. I've used the vinegar/salt for reloading, but never with live ammo. Walk away? Thoughts?

CJ

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Tumble it in ground walnut shell or corncob. Nothing wet. Whether or not I'd bother with it would depend on how "deep" the tarnish is. Then again, if it's just tarnish and not corrosion, just shoot it. Ugly ammo shoots just as good as shiny in most cases.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Agreed it would depend on how bad of shape it was for me. I also would dry tumble. When he cleaned it if it stayed submerged or in a very wet environment too long I would be afraid of squib loads and duds if the powder/primer got wet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agreed it would depend on how bad of shape it was for me. I also would dry tumble. When he cleaned it if it stayed submerged or in a very wet environment too long I would be afraid of squib loads and duds if the powder/primer got wet.
Thanks for the fast reply guys. He showed me a few rounds he didn't clean because he thought were too bad (they were). The cleaned ones look good though, a little dull, but no pits. He confirmed that they were in for less than a minute.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't tumble ... tumbling can break down the gains of powder alter the burn rate. Just shoot the ugly ammo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts