Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can understand how an uncoated metal cleaning rod could damage the bore of a rifle barrel. I can also understand why soft aluminum rods are bad news.

But is it actually possible to damage a bore using a coated rod. I have a Klean Bore coated nylon rod and I must confess that I used it over enthusiastically. I have rifling marks on the plastic coating and although I don't plan on using this rod again, I wonder about the condition of the bore. I guess I will have to shoot the gun soon in order to find out.

Is is possible to damage a bore with a coated nylon rod? What do you guys think?

Mad

·
Registered
777 Posts
Well, I'm not exactly the most knowledgeable one about this, but I'll chime in for what it's worth.

I would prefer to use one piece BRASS rods only. I've heard nylon brushes are bad, and coated rods are bad, so I have to assume that coated nylon rods are bad. I'd prefer one piece rods as well, no joints to come lose and scrape the barrel.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you want to keep the cleaning rod from rubbing, get a bore guide. They go in the place of your bolt, and keep your cleaning rod centered in the bore. I would also recommend a coated cleaning rod and nylon brushes. The nylon is way softer than the metal in your barrel and will not harm them. I took a long range shooting seminar from a world record holder of the 1000 yard dynamite shoot, and he wouldn't go anywhere near his bore with brass. He believed that one piece coated rods, bore guides, and nylon brushes were the way to go. I've had good luck with this , and recommend it as well. Just my .02 cents worth.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I don't know from experiance, but it makes sense.

Nylon or coated-nylon can't be as bad as running down a metal rod/brush assembly. Metal-on-metal is just asking for fatigue.

The nylon/coated-nylon might leave behind some kind of residue or actual fragments/strips of itself. I doubt it, but it's definately a possibility. That might be why some people disagree with the nylon.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
A shooting buddy has just purchased a carbon fibre rod which seems very good. It's soft like plastic and very strong. It appealed to me imediately.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have a bore guide and I usually use it. But I couldn't find the thing and like a fool, I cleaned the rifle without the guide. And I used a patch that was too large.

And the patch got stuck.

I won't do that again. But I think the bore should be ok.

Mad

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
This should clear up everything...

I preffer Tipton Carbon Fiber cleaning rods... they come in caliber and barrel length specific sizes. Stainless steel and aluminum rods can scratch or wear barrels. "Coated" rods get part of the job done... they keep the stainless steel shaft from damaging your barrel's rifling... but the coating will pick up small abrasive particles... which means you're effectively running fine grit sandpaper through your bore. Carbon fiber rods are the best of both... the carbon fiber can't scratch your bore like stainless steel or aluminum... they won't embed like coated rods... and when you bend a Carbon Fiber rod it snaps back to shape unlike stainless steel and aluminum. The Tipton Carbon Fiber cleaning rod's have a handle that spins on two sets of ball bearings... the result is a cleaning rod that smoothly follows the rifling both pushing and pulling... even while under pressure. The "shank through" construction also allows you to apply "reasonable" hammer blows to the end of the cleaning rod to get a tight patch through a bore.

BC

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I think your rifle will shoot okay Mad, its not like you messed up the crown real bad or anything, I sure hope its okay.

A carbon rod is what I would like, especially the one BC mentioned. In the meanwhile I use a Boresnake pull through, which I find works pretty well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts