Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,
I will be graduating from gunsmithing school in September and I have a question on crowning. I read some where, and now I cant find it but combining an 11 degree across the whole face of the muzzle and then doing a 45 degree could be done to have it look like the picture. Has anyone done this or heard of it before?
Security Automotive design Gas Cameras & optics Engineering

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Many weapons are coming out with brakes or just threaded barrels so I don't know that beyond square and clean cut there is relevance to what we do here. Doing a good job on a threaded barrel might be a more useful skill set for a smith. Just a thought. Most of my custom sticks are set up with a brake that I can attach a can to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many weapons are coming out with brakes or just threaded barrels so I don't know that beyond square and clean cut there is relevance to what we do here. Doing a good job on a threaded barrel might be a more useful skill set for a smith. Just a thought. Most of my custom sticks are set up with a brake that I can attach a can to.
Even with just a regular hunting rifle used as a brush gun? I don't a lathe yet so threading barrels would be tough, and I havent quite made the connections in my area to send out work for that. The barrel that is pictured I off a remington 7600

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Speaking for myself, now that I've had experience with cans, all my custom long gun acquisitions will be can ready. If you are going to do custom long guns you may want to hone the barrel threading skill while the expertise to do so is still available to you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am not a gunsmith but I am a machinist who has threaded over 20 barrels for a gunsmith friend of mine on both manual and CNC machines. I only recut the crown of a rifle when it was not perpendicular to the centerline of the barrel. This can be an issue with cans or breaks depending on the major diameter of the thread compared to the bore diameter and how much of a land is present in the female portion of the can or break and how the can or break is intended to seat on the barrel. In the case of the picture I would think that taking the 11 degree surface out to major diameter of the rifle is asking for trouble for no reason. Even though this is technically a recessed crown, creating an acute angle at the OD of the muzzle will invite damage regardless of whether or not you are intending to thread the barrel. The same way you always see a chamfer to a smaller diameter than the minor diameter (root) of a thread, to protect the lead thread from damage. I would have a larger chamfer. I cannot tell exactly how much is there in the picture. 2 cents.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts