Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking to get into some competition shooting. in particular the .22 competion stuff. i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for rifles and where to look to get started as far as some kind of an assosation. another thing i am wondering about is in all the .ss comp i have seen they all use semi auto is there any competion that uses bolt??????

thanks to all who replie

·
Registered
187 Posts
The .22-250 and .220 Swift would be very good rounds for flat shooting .22's. I really cant think of any other .22s but if your shooting in varmint matchs I believe in some of them the max diameter is .25, if thats what your in, just get .243. But I hoped this helped you a little.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Actually, I think he is talking about smallbore competition with .22 LR. This is a fantastic way to improve your marksmanship. It really teaches you the fundementals.

For lower cost target rifles, look at the Marlin and Savage brands. Also, winchester, kimber and remington make target .22s that are moderate price. You can always step up to the plate and pay for the big boy targets rifles... but those will be as much as good tactical rifle!!

MEL

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

thanks for your advise guys. i was refering to the .22 LR stuff.i probly should have stated that before. any idea of a group i could join or where to find out where the competions are and the rules for them.

G

·
0 Posts
I recently saw a used Anschutz competition .22 at a gun show for about $1000-reasonable, i think, for this brand. A bit down the price list is the aforementioned (by Mel) Kimber rifles. A friend of mine has one ot the medium-barreled hunter models. Set him back about $700, and is way more accurate than it should be. Also, some of those Ruger 77/22 rifles are very accurate, and comparably priced at about $500 or so. No idea where to go to get started, though.

G

·
0 Posts
Oh and if it is allowed in the match in which you are competing, a Ruger 10/22 with a trigger job and $400 or so heavy match barrel would make very good 25-yard competition companions!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Re: thanks

Ross L. said:
any idea of a group i could join or where to find out where the competions are and the rules for them.
Try calling your local gun range. I didn't think there was very many places by me but was amazed when I called.

·
Registered
187 Posts
mele said:
Actually, I think he is talking about smallbore competition with .22 LR.
:oops: I feel really stupid.

But I have an extremly nice .22 LR comptition rifle. Its 25 inch barrel and it doesn't taper at all it, of course, is free floating. It's made by Savage and Anschutz, its a beast for a .22 LR. It's made in West Germany it's very nice, and the best thing about it was I got it for free.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i would maybe try the NRA's website for information on associations and competions, they also might be able to provide you the names of local ranges or gun shops that promote or sponser 22lr competitions or competitors, they will aslo have a listing of shooting ranges for your state that you could call around and get the information that you are looking for

1 - 10 of 10 Posts