Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may remember I am working loads up for a 300 RUM. I have found a powder (Accurate 8700) that has load data up and including compressed loads. It says the max grains in powder is 113.0 grains. I am up to 110 grains right now and to be honest it's scaring me. At 110.0 grains it is already up into the neck of the brass and has to be compressing already. I know I have read on here many times and been told by benchrest guys that the more you can fill your case the better off you are. But this is scary looking. I have not yet tried to load the full 113.0 grains to see if it even fits in the brass and frankly I don't think I want to pull the trigger on something that full.

I guess I am just asking for some reassurance that I'm not going to blow myself up again. The first time wasn't fun and I dont want to do it again. Any thoughts or suggestions on this? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will find out tonight if that 3 more grains will even fit in the case. Do you have any experience with this powder and this caliber? Thanks for the number and I will be calling them next week.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
=*USE LOADS AT OWN RISK*=

Here are a few of my loads that i get excelent accuracy with...

0 to 1,000 yard load:

D&L Precision Match Grade 300 RUM Brass
87 Grains of IMR 7828
190 Grain SMK
Federal 215 Magnum primer

3,093 FPS average velocity for 5 shots (chrono was 5 feet from muzzle)
60,500 PSI

100 yard 5 shot group from the prone position using a bipod and sand sock : .24 MOA
500 yard 5 shot group from the prone position using a bipod and sand sock : .30 MOA
700 yard 5 shot group from the prone position using a bipod and sand sock : .35 MOA

There was wind that day and i wasnt adjusting for it as much as i should... MOA should be smaller if the shooter does his job.

1,000+ yard load:

D&L Precision Match Grade 300 RUM Brass
88 grains of Hodgdon's H-1000
220 grain SMK
Federal 215 Magnum primer

This load should have been about 2,840 FPS. Use 89 grains of Retumbo (MAX LOAD) and you can get to about 2,950 FPS with the 220gr SMK.

BC

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
What do your fired primers look like? Do you have access to a chronograph? If the velocity is within antipated limits and if your primers look good, and if extraction is easy, you're fine.

Compressed loads are a good thing. I do not have a .300 RUM, but I shoot compressed loads all the time.

But if you have any doubts, just talk to the good folks at Accurate Arms. They are good people.

Mad

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I will go ahead and load them and see what happens. I will start on the low end and work my way up on the 8700.

I am working up hunting loads since that will be the main function of this rifle. I have not tried IMR 7828 yet. I have had decent results from H4831SC in a 4 shot group of just over about 1/2MOA at 100 yards with a Nosler Accu-bond 200 Ballistic tip. The load was at the high end of the scale but I don't recall the exact grains right now. This will most likely be my load since my 7 mag and 25-06 both use H4831SC. 3 rifles, one powder=less expensive.

I will try those other powders too as time allows.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BC,

I just tried to send you a message on your Yahoo IM. I am wondering if you have done any work with your RUM on lighter bullets in the 150 grain range? Do you use your RUM for hunting?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
badshot said:
BC,

I just tried to send you a message on your Yahoo IM. I am wondering if you have done any work with your RUM on lighter bullets in the 150 grain range? Do you use your RUM for hunting?
No i use my RUM stricktly for long range shooting... no hunting for me. Ive seen what bullets do to livinging things and dont plan on putting an animal through the pain for no reason. Now... if i were living off the land or somthing like that i wouldnt have any problem hunting. The lightest bullets ive loaded in my RUM were 175gr SMK's.

BC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts