Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there....i'm looking to get myself a new handgun for concealed carry and would like some advice. my first carry gun was a Glock 23 i think (the mid-size .40 S&W). sold it cause it just wasn't accurate. i bought it used and i don't know if the barrel was shot out or what, but it wasn't accurate at all. then i purchased a glock 17. i know, full size doesn't lend itself to a carry weapon, but i wanted to get my wife into shooting and the smaller 40 had too much recoil for her and she shot my buddies model 17 and liked it so that is what i bought. what i'm looking at getting for a better carry gun is a Smith and Wesson model 60 with the 2" barrel in .357 mag. any thoughts? also, if the consensus is that this would be a good choice for a carry gun, anybody have any opinions on holsters? i carried my glocks in an IWB holster in the small of my back and the grip tended to stick out too much whenever i'd bend over to look at something at the shopping mall, etc. any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I'm not a fan of a 2" barrel for carry purposes. The flash will be huge and the accuracy not very good.

I prefer a full-size (5" barrel) or commander size .45 single stack. I carry inside the waist, on my right hip. It conceals readily and is not uncomfortable even sitting down at my desk.

JeffVN

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I think that small of the back carry is very dangerous. When you draw the piece, the muzzle will always be pointed at your kidney.

I say that carry guns are where you find them. You want something that you will carry--always.

A .22 in the hand beats a .45 left at home. The latest copy of the American Rifleman had an article on carry guns. The Kahr looks like a good one to me. It is small, flat and lightweight.

I would check out all the lightweight, handy pistols and I would try to test fire them as rental guns on a range.

Once I test fired the AMT Back Up. This little pistol was chambered for the mild .380 Auto. Nonetheless, it was very, very unpleasant to shoot. It had a very small grip and there was nothing to hold onto. The gun was so unpleasant to shoot, that would feel very unsafe in being armed with one.

Mad.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Small of the back carry is not as dangerous if you have the butt of your pistol facing your weak side. When you have it facing your strong side (Your right if right handed) then you are definitely in danger of blowing off some of your kidney.

For small of the back it is best to have the base of the magazine pointed up towards you weak side shoulder.

John

·
Registered
35 Posts
I like the smaller Kimber 1911's for concealed carry. I personally carry my duty pistol, a Glock 22. I prefer if people don't see my pistol, but if they ask I just show my badge and they usually don't questions. I am considering getting a small of the back holster for when I am not on duty. I am required by the Bureau to take my gun everywhere I go. I take it on vacation, planes, to dinner. There is hardly a moment where i dont have my gun with me. I carry either in a Galco or SafariLand holster. The Galco Fletch is a very nice holster, and is very comfortable to wear. I highly suggest it. If you decide to carry small of the back, I think the Check-Six is a very good holster. Good Luck finding a combo that suits you needs. My lunch break is almost over, I have to get back to work.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Something which hasn't been mentioned, but is quite important: carry it in a place that is easily accessible yet can still be inconspicuous. I think pocket-carry, when you can, is ideal because it gives you very easy access while not having to make it obvious that you're reaching for something other than a cell phone. I would never carry on my ankle unless it was a second or third piece (and if you're carrying three guns, I hope one is a long one).

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Comfortable - yep that is exactly what I'm talking about. My IBW - an alessi - is incredible and comfortable - it keeps the butt up against my kidney and very easily drawn. I used to wear a Galco Fletch - equally good, only outside the belt and it takes a bit more clothing to hide it from view.

JeffVN

·
Registered
448 Posts
My only problem with my IWB SOB Galco for my HK is that I can never find shoes to match the holster!!!!!!!!!!! This is a very serious problem!!!!!!! We must accessorize!!!!!!!!! LOL I'm kidding!!!!!!!! I think I would stay away from a 2 inch barrel also. But I like my HK USP 40 compact. It's light weight and small enough to hide under a t-shirt. When needing to bend over bend at the knees and keep your back straight, most people are not paying attention to you anyway. Most people would probably think your a cop or something if they see you walking around Wal-Mart and see a bulge under your shirt. But normally most people are blind to those sorts of things.

Just my opinion though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts