Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting my CCW here in New Mexico and have some questions. I'm in a wheelchair and was thinking of getting a shoulder holster (Galco Miami) for everyday carry. Any suggestions on tactics/ things I should learn outside the class to tailor things to suit my situation?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As for class, it's the CCW class. As for the wheelchair gig, I'll say it's permanent until stem cell technology gets better. Thanks for the concern. But hey, I've always got a seat at the bar now! :D

·
Registered
314 Posts
As far as the ccw goes, there is a lot of great information at http://www.packing.org
It shows you information beyond your class that may be useful as well as the states that honor your CCW. I look at the site every time I go on a road trip.
That being said, what kind of handgun do you plan to carry? Size matters I have 3 handguns that I rotate as the weather/ seasons change. Also If your in the market to buy what are you looking at?

I found that shoulder rigs make it hard to access your weapon when you need so I stay away from those. However, in your situation it may be the best choice. If you go with the shoulder rig, practice drawing your weapon several times in a safe direction (unloaded, remember safety first) try on getting your drawing time down so if you ever need to use your weapon you have confidence in yourself and can bring it out without a problem. One idea you may want to think about is buying a kydex holster and custom rigging it to your wheelchair if you need ideas on how to do it PM me and I’ll come up with something that may help.

Hope the info helps

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm planning to carry my Kimber Tactical Pro (4" barrel), but also am thinking about getting something really small to go in the pouch under the seat of my chair for a back up. Oh yea, the chair is an ultra light ridged manual chair, very small and compact. I've thought about a chair-mounted holster, but it would be very obvious when I get in and out of my car. The chair itself is very manuverable, so the shoot and move scenario is possible depending on the terrain. As for the class, it's just your run of the mill class you described, Recoil. I'm planning on getting Massad Ayoob's carry book. I've heard good things about it. Um, yea. I think that's it.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I think you should mount some sort of holster/pounch to the side of your chair. I seriously doubt that anyone would suspect a thing.

Most people would only notice the chair. And if you got a lightweight firearm, you would hardly be aware of the thing either.

Perhaps you might consider one of those lightweight Smith revolvers or a Glock.

Mad.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a lot Recoil. Definately what I was looking for. I'm glad I have a little over a month before my class to hone my skills. Wow, yea, thanks again.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I say go with one of those little Bond Arms .45 over .410 shotgun under hideaways. I've been meaning to get one of those.

http://www.bondarms.com/

I'm sure, a bunch of people will hop in and argue with me, but I was always taught that if you are in a situation that requires you to draw your gun and fire more than two shots...

You should be running and hiding not shooting.

You rambos out there who can double tap five guys in 3 seconds do whatever you like.

-snowy

P.S.
My little example was for civvies, not folks who can call in backup/reinforcements.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I will say that I have had guns pulled on me more than once.

I have also seen well trained people fall to pieces under a real stress situation.

I was making a statement based on experience and training.
I stand behind my statement.
Looking for a way out first should be top priority.

Simply because you do not agree with what I say does not mean the statement is arrogant or ignorant.

There are more than a few tactical shooting instructors and professionals who agree with my statement.

If your state provides you with the opportunity for CCW, that is a great right to have at your disposal.

It allows you to protect yourself, but it will never make you a law enforcement officer. The best civilian response to any dangerous situation is to seek a method that does not involve confrontation if it is available.

"Asking a group of gang bangers hazing a new recruit who is about to stab you for your leather jacket to "hold on a sec while I reload" just isn't an option."

The fact that you actually supplied this an example says quite a bit.

I would have my gun brandished in my right hand and my cell phone in my left, informing the "gang bangers" that the police were on their way while I quickly exited the scene.

A few questions about this "gang banger" story...

1. Why are you walking around where gang bangers are in the first place?
If there is enough space and time for this scenario to occur, you must be some place you are not supposed to be.
2. If someone has a knife, why then do you need to fire enough shots to actually need to reload?
3. Why would you let them get close enough to you to stab you?

I do not know if you have ever engaged another human being with the potential intent to end their life, but I can tell you that it is not something that is a pleasant experience. I cannot fathom why you think looking for an opportunity to avoid such a situation would be "ignorant or arrogant."

No matter what the situation, the fewer bullets flying around the better.
The bottom line is anything can happen.

I will always look for an escape route first.

In addition, many speed shooting competitors use the Bond Arms line of hold out pistols. They have an auto cocking hammer after the first shot.
They are far more than rattlesnake guns. That barrels are interchangeable and come in a great array of setups. Two .357 rounds are more than enough for most situations.

-snowy

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I think there is a good thing coming out of this debate, and that is we are all free to choose what we wish to carry to protect ourselves, and we have very different schools of thought on the issue. A couple of key things I would like to point out...

Any round is good if you shoot it well. A hit from a .22 counts more than misses with a .45 If you shoot the 45 very well, rock on. If you're a recoil sensitive person and 38 special is your gig, that's cool too. Put the shots where they belong and it's cool.

Only we can limit the amount of ammo we carry, ultimately. If I think a 7 round 1911 mag is cool, then it's cool. If someone wants the 15 rounds from a Browning Hi-power it works for him. The whole idea of CCW is to prepare for the worst, though. No one does their best shooting in an altrication and I think we should all assume that we will miss, and take that into consideration. Expending 50% of your ammo with one missed shot is a risk some might want to take and others might not.

The one thing that makes me not want to carry a two shot pistol is something I was once told about the "Rule of threes". Averaged out, a case can be made that...

Your gunfight will take place at 3 meters (9 ft)
It will last 3 seconds
You will fire 3 shots.

Yep, every gunfight is different, but that was supposed to be the average. Based on that alone I'd like to have more than 2 rounds. More than 3 as well.

I wouldn't count on anything I could carry to stop an attack with one shot. Not a 9mm, not a 45 ACP, not even a 500 S&W. Everyone needs to decide what is right for them, and it may not be right for everyone else.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I'm not going to go tit for tat with you.

I said what I needed to say.

I personally don't think a two shot firearm is the perfect handgun for all situations.

I was making a suggestion for someone who is in a wheelchair for a more subtle carry option.

The point of my reply was to show another methodology for dealing with a problem.

I simply do not find it necessary for Recoil to use terms like "ignorant" because I raised some ideas he does not agree with.
It is simply disrespectful.

I really don't care what GunT.L. or Recoil carry on a daily basis. I was offering a point of view. I did not feel the need to belittle other people who do not share my views.

I personally find it unbecoming for SC and I'll speak up when it happens.

We are here to share views, respectfully.

You can say I'm "skirting the facts" all you like.

I'm done.

-snowy

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
The things I miss when I spend a night away from the forum...*shakes head*

As far as I can tell, no one crossed any major lines yet, but this one kinda cuts it close I guess, in the way that some people might not like it.

I'll leave it alone for now, and see if any feedback comes from it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts