Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a WInchester model 70 Super grade in 300 WM thats been a safe queen since I bought it new in 2011. Ive recently started hunting with it since I have access now to some rather large been fields. So naturally Ive started shooting it more and what I have noticed is after about 10-15 shots the groups really open up. When I clean the barrel you can tell its pretty fouled with copper. I bought a cheap bore scope and its easy see Its fouled. The rifle really likes 200 grain partions with 70 grains of 4831 SC. Just curious if some calibers foul more than others or if anyone else has noticed this also.
Thanks

·
Registered
593 Posts
It has a lot to do with the condition of the barrel. This is why factory barrels tend to foul a lot more than high end hand lapped barrels. If yours is a factory barrel, to reduce such fast copper fouling, you might try using Tubb's Final Finish bullets to smooth out your lands and barre. It really does work. I've use it on all my factory barrels and it worked well for all of them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Add to the above comments a cleaner named "Sweetshooter". Seeing similar buildup and groups opening up I met Bill at the Wannenmacher in Tulsa. Discussing the issue with him he asked if I could bring my gun in for him to treat. After cleaning the copper fouling out of my 700 PS in 300 WM, I was impressed with what I saw. Treating the barrel really reduced the amount of buildup I see over time. Bore-scoping proved that it works. Can be ordered online and it's not cheap, but it works. Oh and I agree with the literature about the stuff " I
do swear it helps the arthritis in my hands!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts