Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts on these, and has anyone had the opportunity to have a training exercise when the enemy forces had one?

The type of systems I mean, are the Canadian Ferret and the British one we recently took into service. Both systems have sensors which can track a fired bullet from round about a km away, and pinpoint the firers position. Whereas I believe the Canadian system only gives out an audiable alarm to alert nearby soldiers of the snipers position, the British system is linked to an automated GPMG, which can be set to immediately hose the snipers position.

I realise not many of our possible enemies have such systems, but how can a sniper beat them?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Best idea would be to put .50 bullet into device :wink: otherwise - well, sound dumb, but avoid firing within one's range of detection is easiest. Otherwise, subsonic ammo in silenced weapon or crossbow :wink: will be remedy. :lol: Damn, that thing could be real threat :x

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I'm with caban, you first round should go into the unit. Remember you need to priortize your targets.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
re

Thats quite a gamble.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Re: re

Yimmy said:
Thats quite a gamble.
It's not a perfect world. Better get close and not screw up the shot.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
re

So, what do you try to shoot?

The MG, and hope you disable it somehow (which I certainly wouldn't bet on), or the control computer? Given that the computer will likely be in a seperate armoured vehicle? :shock:

I don't fancy the snipers chances!

Maybe a better bet would be to simply wait until someone has an ND?

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Its simple....

You wait and engage a target the second they leave the range of the system. In fact, wait until the operator of said unit exits the AO, then shoot him. After the first 5 operators have been hit, you wont be able to pay someone enough to run that thing. These units are currently pretty static. There are some mobile ones being fielded by the USA (and I'm sure others) but they are passive only, they do not have the automated weapons attached yet. Of course, they all use acustics, and can be effected by echos or other counter measures. Of course, when/if the weapons version become mobile, it doesn't hurt to shoot the driver of the vehicle toting this thing around, it would be a shame if said vehicle were to plow into a brick wall at 30 mph rendering the machine inoperable.

just some random thoughts....

MEL

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
i have to agree with the priority of targets, not to mention it is the biggest threat to the mission and your life. any system like this has to have a battery source and radar of sorts... find the weak link and exploit it for all it is worth. although this is one place i do believe the careful use of subsonic ammo and timed shots with louder noises (such as shooting when vehicles are moving) might help cover your position... just glad i won't have to go against one... but that is just my thoughts on it, next...

·
Registered
263 Posts
According to Canadian army site, Ferret will soon become part of mounted surveilance system.
I have to agree with Yimmy - the device itself could be HARD target. The only weak part would be microphone unit, i guess (was shown on the foto). A solid hit with .50 will possibly cause malfunction to it, right. However, the part is rather small, so in case conditions are imperfect (as they :cry: tend to be), hard-target sniper should fire within range of detection, endangering himself.
Mel's idea is viable one, being priority target for enemy sniper never boost troop's morale... The only problem would be to survive after making those hits. If you do so, however, you'll definitely ruin troop's confidence in the system. The method is not clear (well, Canadian engineers earn their money, right? :wink: ), still.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I guess the other option is to use my favorite weapon and one of the deadliest, your radio to call in a jdam. I am sure a precision guided 2000lb bomb would put it out of service.

Even an artillary strike would cause it some problems. If it comes to it use a LAW rocket on the thing, but so much for keeping your position a secret, you would have a smoke trail leading right back to you.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I like Mel's idea. If it doesn't have an automated response (odds are good even if it does, the operator still has to push a button to enable firing, otherwise, what would it spray up on it's whim?) hit the operator. The machine will be bleeping and hollering, and only the dead guy would have known what it was saying or how to use it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
ekaphoto wrote:
I am sure a precision guided 2000lb bomb would put it out of service.
:D Appropriate, it WILL work. As one of my buddies told me: "I prefer 122mm cannon to every other counter-sniping weapons".

Muzz, I like Mel's idea too, but also sure Canadians did everything to spoil the pleasure :wink: at least mounted version will be definitely controlled from WITHIN of APC. Too bad we don't know particulars, but, of course, destroying the operator is an option, if possibility presents.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Additionally; Try not shooting at troops with armoured support nearby. As it is, you're only going to be firing off a shot or two and moving, unless you have some bizarre urge to be found. Keep in mind; you're not a one man army. You cannot single handedly take on entire enemy squads.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Ah, so it's a Coyote mounted system? I'll see what I can find out about it to pass along to SC :lol:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Actually, the US mercs in Sierra Leone tried to use a system like that against us. They relied too much upon their gizmos, and paid for it.
One, they aren't very accurate as of now, and that accuracy diminishes even more as range increases. Also, when we tested the captured systems, we noticed that it reacts different to different loads.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Thats a very interesting point. I bet it would really struggle trying to pick up the extremely fast and small sabot rounds that you use..... especially at long range

MEL

·
Registered
571 Posts
Wasn't just that, Mel. It had problems with 5.56 too, and some of the harder 7.62x51 loads, such as our AP ammo. Seems the system has to be fine-tuned.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
That really is interesting...5.56 I can kind of understand since it's a lot smaller and moving a bit faster, but do you have any theories you would be able to tell us about why it had trouble with AP? I feel kinda slow, but two bullets with the same diameter, similar weight, similar velocity, etc...?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
re

I fail to see why it should have any problems with any round or load to be honest - all it has to do is pick up the projectile at a few points to work out the ballistics and point of origin.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Heh, thats a bit simplistic. The "picking up" part is the hard part. I can certainly see where problems can be had with faster & smaller projectiles. They are trying to pick up the acustics or even the sonic waves from the bullets, but these characteristics are so different between bullets, and can be big or small or different frequences and velocities, and then only being able to have a few pick up points to receive these signals and trying to cover 360 degrees, etc. Its not an easy problem to solve.

MEL

1 - 20 of 40 Posts