Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a custom remington 700 action, under $1000 that is really good and worth getting, id also like recommendations of a barrel to get for this action also, im building a custom remington 700 ill be putting this in a b&c medalist tactical stock with a timney 510 trigger and a vortex viper scope. anything else just ask, thanks for help with my first diy!

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
What do you want from the action that a Rem 700 action won't provide?

Pardon this comment, but if you are going to the trouble and expense of getting a custom action and barrel, why would you put it in a mid-range stock with a mid-range scope?

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
I agree with Graham. The other components in your build do not warrant a custom action. If you really want a custom action then you really should spend the money to get a complete system that is on par with the custom action. Otherwise you are just spending money that would be better spent on glass or ammo. Also, custom actions in the remington 700 style are far from "do it yourself". The barrel blank will need to be threaded, chambered, and headspaced to the action by a COMPETENT gunsmith. If you are really looking for an at home, do it yourself accurate build then you should really consider building off of a savage action. With about $75 in tools and a little patience most anyone can safely rebarrel a savage with a custom barrel and most will shoot well under 1/2 moa.

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
I'll answer your question, though:

John Pierce of "Pierce Engineering" is making a really high-quality Remington clone under the $1,000 price point. He does not make a stainless action, so don't ask! The man's a racing and firearms machinist, and really really knows his stuff; that he happens to be a fairly nice guy only helps.

The Pierce action is one of the most cost effective in the business, as it already comes with every upgrade in the book, save a few benchrest specific tweaks.

Pierce Action : Pierce Engineering

Have John barrel the action for you. Krieger barrel, or if that's too rich, then call Northland Shooter's Supply and get a Criterion on the way.

-Nate

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Stiller actions have met with a lot of success with a lot of shooters. They have them starting at $950. When buying a custom action be sure to get a "repeater type" unless you want to have a "single shot". Lots of the custom actions are built for BR shooters and will only take one round at a time, sometimes with two "ports", one for eject and the other side for hand feeding. Just a heads up if you weren't already aware.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Manners or McMillan. My preference is toward Manners.

Premier, Kahles, Nightforce, Vortex, U.S. Optics, Nightforce, Steiner, Bushnell, Hensoldt all have excellent top-end models of riflescopes.

If you specify your intended application, we can recommend some things that will work well for you.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
What would you consider a "high-range" stock and a "high-range" scope?
Don't let the naysayers trash the B&C Stock. They are my stock of preference for a non-chassis type stock. You can buy a "Big Name" like a McMillan A-5 for an example and have to pay extra for adjustable cheek piece, cant adjust, and LOP adjust (without a stack of shims). The B&C "A-5 Style" comes with all these features included. It's a nice solid stock with a full length aluminum bedding block with aluminum extending well into the forend and back through the "wrist" of the stock, into the butt.

You can pay $800 or more if you want the "Name" or you can pay just over $400 for a stock that does the same job, looks great, and is as durable as anything out there in a NON-CHASSIS type stock. You may have to wrap some sandpaper around a deep socket wrench or large piece of doweling to open up the inletting for a heavier barrel but B&C tells you this in advance and it's not all that hard. Consider the Savings.

You can also get "high end" performance from scopes costing a lot less than the "Big Names". That said, I use NightForce. My next purchase will be a Sightron SIII but haven't decided on a magnification level. Roughly half the price and if you aren't into "Names" you may never see the difference.

There's no question that the "Big Names" offer quality products but step back and take a look at your needs. If you're all about names and money is no object, go for it.
If you are looking for a good performance/price value, there are options like B&C, H-S Precision for stocks and Sightron as well as numerous others that will get the job done for a long time and leave some money in the wallet for ammo.

BTW, if you want an example of why "Money" doesn't guarantee "Performance" take a look at two football teams. Robert Griffin III is costing the Redskins $1.4 Million this year for their so far 3-9 season. Seattle is paying Russel Wilson a whopping $525 K for their 11-1 record to date.

Yes, it's not all quarterback but neither is either a stock or scope when it comes to performance and accuracy. It's the TOTAL Package.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Precision rifles aren't football. ;)

B&C isn't half the stock of Manners or Mcmillan, and money has nothing to do with it. If they were equally priced, I'd say the same thing. The first time you encounter a B&C "void" when installing something in one, you'll agree with this too. Though there are a great many other reasons.

Deadshot is right, in that you can get a B&C and be perfectly fine with it. I have a couple HS and B&C stocks on rifles that don't see much action. They are plenty good for the money spent. However, to say that they provide the same experience as manners or mcmillan is a disservice. He is also right in that money doesn't guarantee performance. If you can't operate a rifle properly with a B&C, you won't be able to operate it properly with a Manners either. However, once you gain experience and proficiency, the differences become quite noticeable.

The same can be said of most gear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Manners or McMillan. My preference is toward Manners.

Premier, Kahles, Nightforce, Vortex, U.S. Optics, Nightforce, Steiner, Bushnell, Hensoldt all have excellent top-end models of riflescopes.

If you specify your intended application, we can recommend some things that will work well for you.
Ill be mainly doing target shooting with my dad, were pretty competitive but only shoot out to 500 yards mostly. A buddy of his is making a 900ish yard range on his farm for us to shoot at but other than that not much in the way of hunting.

I understand Manners or McMillan are probabley a better stock than the B&C but being 15 years old, i dont have that much money to spend on the stock/glass at the moment, i could upgrade later if i feel im being held back by the stock/glass.

Also how much is it going to cost me to get the barrel threaded, chambered, and headspaced to the action by a COMPETENT gunsmith? including the cost of a krieger barrel?

Also what is the recommended twist on the barrel?

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
If budget is a concern, don't concern yourself with barrel maker. They all make good tubes.

TS Customs will do a rebarrel for you for $750. Head to toe, including cerakote. PM me with your phone number if you'd like me to give you a ring to discuss it. :)

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Precision rifles aren't football. ;)
However, just like football, the best equipment does not guarantee performance.

I don't know how long ago you have encountered issues with a B&C stock but the ones I've purchase and used recently are more than adequate and I haven't encoundered any "voids". As for "installing something in one" I tend to go for a chassis system if I plan on adding a lot of "accessories". The only things I attach to my regular stocks are bipods and depending on use, a rear mono-pod. The B&C Stock I prefer comes with an integral Anshutz type rail in the forend and I can adjust the bipod for any "balance I want". Ditto for hand stops, sling mounts, etc.

Everyone has their preferences but when a person is getting started I don't think any great service is done by only promoting the "Merceedes" level products when a good Chevrolet, Ford, or Dodge product will do the job for a lot less. Once the shooter gets some experience they'll be in a better position to select what THEY feel will work best for them.

BTW, I don't build "safe queens". I shoot no less than twice per week and put many thousands of rounds downrange each year. My bullet purchases alone run more than some shops sell in a year and they're all for my own shooting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts