Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been pondering the idea of building a varmint rig for some long range shooting. Some of the components I would like to have are: Stainless fluted Lilja barrel, Remington 700 or Sako 75 action (trued/squared), Jewell trigger, HS Precision (or MacMillan stock). Are there any custom builders out there that offer this type of setup without waiting an extended period of time? Who do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Mel... the site owner and administrator builds custom rifles. http://www.SniperCentral.com/scrifles.htm

Im not sure if Mel will put a Lilja barrel on an SC rifle for a customer or not... he uses Montana Rifleman barrels (which are pretty good barrels).

I would check out Mel's SC1A5 in either .243 Winchester, 6.5x284 Norma or 6.5X55mm Swedish, or my favorite the .300 Win Mag with a # 8 contour 26 inch barrel. That would be nice for long range varmint hunting...

BC

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
300 win mag might be a bit overkill for a varmint rig, however 6.5 bullets are good. What are you planning to shoot? What cal are you planning? etc. As far as building the rifle, Mel here may do it, also lija will put their bbl on your action, but it is not cheap. Also where are you located? That may have some bering on where to find a gunsmith.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Yes, I would build it. But to be honest, if I am to build it using a Lilja barrel, I will end up shipping the action out to Lilja to mount the barrel. Only because its Lilja and one of his own barrels.

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Over kill? There is no such thing. :D There are plenty of avid varmint hunters that use .300 Win Mag's and other large calibers... myself being one.

BC

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let me see if I can answer some of the questions posed to me. The gun would be mostly for bench shooting and coyote hunting. I know that the two contradict themselves but I wouldn't mind a heavier barrel and a varmint stock. I'm not big on long(er) barrels. I would like for the barrel to be at most 24" (or possibly as short as 22"). I do like what Remington did in terms on length on the 700 LTR. As for caliber, I'm not a huge wildcat fan as I don't reload. Something in either .243 or .308 as shells are numerous. Mel, in your rough estimate (won't hold ya to the quote), what kind of money would be talking about here? I'm assuming I would have to provide the action due to FFL regs from what I have read? If that is true, a new Remington 700 ADL synthetic can be had here (Tennessee) for $338.00. Any info. appreciated.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I agree with BC, the .300 win mag is a good choice for varmit hunting, I use everything from .204 Ruger up to the .338 win mag on prarie dogs. I like the "effect" the .338 has on them little doggies. :lol:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
You should try a .458 Lott... only problem is you have to be within 75 yards or so to be able to hit it usually. :)

BC

·
Registered
239 Posts
That will be one of my next calibers, I want it when I go back to Africa on a cape buffalo hunt. On prarie dogs, now that would be fun. :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think my shoulder could take extensive shooting with anything that large. .308/.30-06 is about enough for me at the bench.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
hunt127588 said:
Mel, in your rough estimate (won't hold ya to the quote), what kind of money would be talking about here? I'm assuming I would have to provide the action due to FFL regs from what I have read?
Well, actually, its not the big of a deal to provide you with the complete rifle. After it is finished, I send it to an FFL of your choice (local gun shops generally are pretty helpful here). Then they do the transfer to you. The shops usually charge $20-$40 to use their FFL. You just send a signed copy of it up to me. 99% of the rifles I do are complete rifles that we send all over the country (and one going to canada).

Now, it depends on the stock you want. But for my typical SC1 (remington action) with an A1 or Winchester marksman stock, the price is $1500. With the A2, A3, A4, A5, Baker Special or McHale stock, the price is $1750 (and includes spacer system or packmayr decelerator pad). These are with MT rifleman barrels. If you would like a Lilja barrel, the price is $250 on top of that. (this is an estimate). Take a look at the sc1 page here

http://www.snipercentral.com/sc1.htm

It turns out that Lilja will NOT mount a barrel to an action.

MEL

·
Registered
24 Posts
hunt127588 said:
I have been pondering the idea of building a varmint rig for some long range shooting. Some of the components I would like to have are: Stainless fluted Lilja barrel, Remington 700 or Sako 75 action (trued/squared), Jewell trigger, HS Precision (or MacMillan stock). Are there any custom builders out there that offer this type of setup without waiting an extended period of time? Who do you guys recommend?
A friend of mine said you should go with a .50BMG scoped with a 200mm objective.
I had to slap him. :x

Brian

1 - 12 of 12 Posts