Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 6.5x284 with a muzzle brake. will it hurt to put some type of sleeve around brake to keep down blast? Any suggestions? thanks

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
I would worry about damaging the brake by covering it up, but I don;t know how it would hurt it. I would recommend getting a thread protector made and removing the brake when you don't want the muzzle blast.

-matt

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the problem is it throws rocks and dust up when i shoot gun close to ground. thanks

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Wouldn't stopping the gases form exiting defeat the very purpose of the break?

Anyway, don't want the dust and blast? Take off the break!

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
If the dust and rocks kicked up are the only problem, I would suggest a varmint style brake with ports only on the sides and/or top of the brake. Personally I would go with only ports on the sides as I think having ports on 3 sides instead of 2 would adversely affect your accuracy.

-matt

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
As an alternative, if practical for your purpose, place a piece of cloth on the ground under your muzzle to block the blast from hitting the dirt, etc. Works for snipers in the field sometimes.

-Nate

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
natdscott said:
As an alternative, if practical for your purpose, place a piece of cloth on the ground under your muzzle to block the blast from hitting the dirt, etc. Works for snipers in the field sometimes.

-Nate
Just what I was about to suggest. A plywood board works well if the situation is conducive to it. I doubt there's away around the increased blast from a brake, just the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
smsnyder said:
i have a 6.5x284 with a muzzle brake. will it hurt to put some type of sleeve around brake to keep down blast? Any suggestions? thanks
If you put a sleeve around the brake you might as well take the brake off. You're, in effect, doing the same thing. Whole lot easier to take the brake off than to sleeve it. The increase in muzzle blast is the price you pay for reduced muzzle jump and recoil. The suppressor is the best answer to reducing muzzle jump and recoil and muzzle blast.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Stormrider said:
smsnyder said:
If you put a sleeve around the brake you might as well take the brake off. You're, in effect, doing the same thing. Whole lot easier to take the brake off than to sleeve it. The increase in muzzle blast is the price you pay for reduced muzzle jump and recoil. The suppressor is the best answer to reducing muzzle jump and recoil and muzzle blast.
+1, wouldn't make sense to cover up a muzzle brake at all... best thing is to either put cloth beneath your brake or i've seen some shooters pour water on the ground beneath the brake to prevent dust from flying all over the place

1 - 10 of 10 Posts