Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday's paper here in Fairbanks states- Pipeline shooter ordered to pay- $17 million set as restitution. This refers to a guy in 2001 who shot holes in the Aleyeska pipeline. In 2001, when it happened, headlines screamed- Sniper Shoots Holes in Pipeline With High Powered Rifle- spilling over 285,000 gallons of crude.
Since when was a guy that could hit a pipe 3 feet in diameter from a couple of hundred feet a sniper? Doesn't the media realize that a sniper is a highly trained professional? Has there even been an instance in US history where an actual US trained sniper used his skills to commit a crime? I've never heard of such a case.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Agree

After the whole DC sniper thing the media likes to use that word as often as possible. They called the Cincinatti highway guy a sniper and he was using a 9mm pistol.

I effect the term sniper has earned a bad rep and alot of department I have worked with and spoken to have begun refering to us as sharpshooters more than sniper. I don't believe the military has done or will ever do the same.

G

·
0 Posts
Historically I believe that the term "sniper" was used only in reference to a designated marksman in the military, whereas "sharpshooter" meant law-enforcement marksman. Just something I heard somewhere.
I do agree that the media throws around the term "sniper" much too loosely, labelling anyone with a firearm as a sniper, when in fact "sniper" is more of an earned title not to be giveen to anyone (especially not these a**holes who think its cool to fire on civilians.)

G

·
0 Posts
Damn Media

Oh, and one more thing- its interesting to note that our beloved American Media has done the same thing with the term "assault rifle" ...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I can agree with Hectorvictorious I've never heard of someone who was trained by the US armed forces that ever went on a serial sniping spree. I believe that the word sniper is a word that could be used to define a number of people from a skilled marksman (a big game hunter), to a precision killing machine working for the US armed forces (or some other country). As for the media, they like to used the term sniper to present a element of fear to the news, but all of this is just my opinion (an some other people's :D )

·
Registered
7 Posts
ironman,

"I've never heard of someone who was trained by the US armed forces that ever went on a serial sniping spree."

Perhaps you remember an x-marine sharpshooter by the name of Charles Whitman??? For 96 minutes, on a brutally hot day in Austin in 1966, 25-year-old Charles Whitman fired at will from a perch 231 feet above ground, terrorizing the University of Texas campus below. After killing his mother and wife, Whitman hauled a trunk full of weapons up to the 28th floor of the university tower and shot 45 people--bringing the death toll to 16--before police killed him.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
the word sniper gets peoples attention, it sounds like imenant danger, a sniper is out to get you etc
they do that about everything to make the situation look more dangerous in the hopes of people watching the news
i remember people calling him a sniper and thinking that only a real sniper could make these "long range" 100m shots... the average person doesnt know any better if they just listen to the elite media so they can get away with it

·
Registered
18 Posts
to me a sniper is someone who has exceptional skills in long range rifle shooting, and has mastered the art of disappearing, and is out to get someone

G

·
0 Posts
The term "sniper" traditionally refers to a military marksman of exceptional talent. The Scout/Sniper is one that sees all without being seen, can hit his target at all reasonable ranges (and sometimes at unreasonable ranges), has the patience and courage to endure where the normal infantryman would break, can observe the enemy and report back in intimate detail. and can work as a team with his partner(s) in a selfless manner. The popular media has chosen to apply the term to any idiot that takes a potshot at an unsuspecting victim. As stated by someone earlier, the media picks up on a word and manipulates it to mean whatever best suites their warped and evil agenda. They have bastardized the meaning of "assault rifle' to mean anything that they don't like the looks of. They have contorted the word "militia" to bring up thoughts of the KKK and their kind, bringing dishonor to the brave militiamen that fought to free our country in the first place. They refer to our country as a democracy, forgetting that we are a representative republic. Thomas Jefferson said "Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote." The best we can do is educate anyone that will listen to us, vote in EVERY election and continue to defend our liberties in any and every way we can. It's never been easy to be a patriot, but someone has to fight the battle.

K2

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
the elite media never uses words because of thier true definition or to speak the truth, just to get people to watch
sniper on the loose gets peoples attention

G

·
0 Posts
I agree with cfroehlich7584 (page 1). During the conflict in my coutry the wery mention of the word sniper made us dig deper trenches and avoid peekeng on the other side. Those guys were realy good.
Psihological efect was amazing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts