Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Why not just get a tax stamp and do it LEGALLY with a professionally built supressor?

Tac-ops is building one for me right now for T&E. They build them on the ruger 77/22 bolt actions. I've fired one of thier "green hornets" before, they are accurate and extremely quite.

MEL

·
Registered
994 Posts
Re: silencer

wmgray said:
I have 50 acres of land, I use the gun for target shooting and squirrel hunting, not for "evil intent" so chill buddy, I just enjoy experimenting.
Not speaking for Mel himself on this issue, I think he suggested you do it legally is because the BATF don't take kindly to people not paying dues on class three items, and discussing evasion of proper protocol of class three items on his web site can bring him much negative publicity (more so than is already out there), if not get him unwanted attention from the BATF.

Scatch Maroo

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I don't know the legality of it all since I am from a different country than y'all...but is home making a silencer legal in the US?

You guys are quite a bit more free than we are, and we cannot build a silencer. If you can, thats cool...if not, don't ask people in forums.

For all I know, you can tho

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
not for "evil intent" so chill buddy
:D Oh, don't worry, I'm chilled, I'm just trying to prevent you from getting any "chill" time of your own in the slammer.

You guys are quite a bit more free than we are, and we cannot build a silencer. If you can, thats cool...if not, don't ask people in forums.
I'm not positive if you can or cannot build one for personal use, certainly not for resell without a proper class manufacturers license, kind of don't think you can. BUT I DO KNOW, you MUST register it legally with a form 4 tax stamp, etc. or you can go to jail if caught. all NFA items (class III) MUST BE REGISTERED.

Sorry, but we cannot talk about doing illegal activities on these forums.

MEL

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
yeah, just out of curiosity, you do realize that little home made silencer is worth 5 years a in federal pen, plus you never owning a firearm again?

just thought id tell you.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
PS. almost every silencer maker can give you a silencer. Just take your 10/22 and have the end of it threaded to the silencer makers specifications.

·
Registered
76 Posts
BAD NEWS

Sounds to me like he is trying to get someone to implicate themselvs, just my opinion.
Rusty

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Owning a silencer would be cool. If I can legally I will. Until then, good old 22 short and 22 subsonic it is.

Playing "house" with Bubba ain't so cool when they catch my home made silencer

PS, its to everyone's credit here that no one put in the "all you have to do is take a....."

·
Registered
76 Posts
silencers

I am sure that everyone in here knows about putting condoms over the end of the barrel to keep out dirt and water, try using a baby bottle nipple on your sub sonic and short 22s when you touch it off it makes no more noise than spiiting

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Ive seen scew on silencers for Ruger 10/22's... ever watch Comedy Central? They have this show called Insomniac... anyway... Dave Attell or however ya spell his name goes around all these places at night (usually drinking alot of olcohol) and does things that insomniacs do. Anyway... to get to the point.. he was in Louisiana one time on his show and they have these varmints there called Nutria... there basiclaly huge rats the size of cats that screw like rabbits and over run towns in Louisiana. So... Dave went out with the local SWAT team who was in the back of a pic up truck... they had several silenced 10/22's and they just went around shooting all the damn nutria they could find. :D lol :D . Anyway... i saw one of the SWAT officers show Dave how to fix the silencer onto the rifle... you pushed it on and it snaped.. then you screw it on a few turns. Dont know who makes em or anything just know they are out there. Oh yea... www.Nutria.com :p And if you really want a silencer with out a class 3 FFL or tax stamp... ive heard that in newzealand you can buy silencers at the local supply store... its considered a curtousy to your neighboring farm or somthing. If you have 50 acres and hunt varmints on it... why do you need a silencer? Its your land... and its a 22... why need a silencer? Or... join the military im sure they will give you one lol

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think Ill leave this one alone. :wink:

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
lol BC, you hunt a whole different kinda varmint than most, bro...you need that silencer. Nutria don't shoot back. Check out Canadian Tactical, I've heard you guys might have been putting them to use.

Around here at least, the crackle of a 22 has never hurt any of my hunting, its taken a lot of birds and Nutria-like animals for me. There are a couple peskier varmints around here (4 legged) that could stand to be removed but I would want the silencer on something with a little more punch than 22 lr...Might as well. Not having a silencer never hurt anyway.

Oh yeah, while we're onto illegal topics, how can I convert my SKS to...Kidding, kidding! That one pops up on lots of forums too...

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
well all youve gotta is file on the..... nevermind...lol

yeah that ones asking for the BATF to be at your doorstep.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Yea we have used Canadian Tactical M-4 suppressors before... but personally i preffer the Surefire M4-FA suppresor. They both work great.... just a personal prefference.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
yeah bud, if i were you id go ahead and burn that thing or convert it back to an archery product.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
no problem wmgray, I figured that was the case and was why I was trying to let you know its not legal and would be better to just get a legal one that is registered. Its not that bad to get one, but the $200 tax stamp does cost some change, but at least you are legal.

MEL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts