Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question for all you snipers.

Obviously you want to leave the Old Spice aftershave, CK1 and incense sticks at home if you are going out on a stalk.

Do you wear deodorant or take a shower before the stalk and just let it fade away, or do you go all natural?

Do you have any scent masking tricks?
Are there any home cooked human scent mask recipes out there?

I'm sure it is personal preference, but I'm interested none the less.

-snowy

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
The yougn guys may tell a different storey, but we never showered prior to going to the bush. Nor did we shower when in the bush. It only took a day (especially on Okinawa) and you didn't smell any different that what you were walking through - rotting triple canopy jungle.

Same was true in Korea and Norway, except it was damn cold in both of those places.

JeffVN

·
Registered
576 Posts
I've found that I can smell like rotting meat pretty damn fast when I'm out in the bush for a few days.

Remember: Everybody but you notices that you smell like rotting meat. Nobody but you gets used to it. So when your girlfriend shoves you away, that's why. It doesn't matter how happy / eager you are to see her, you still smell (Sometimes literally) like Death.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

Your nose and tongue only sense enw smells, anyone around you for long enough will stop smelling it.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
If you want to shower, get unscented soap, wash your clothes in unscented detergent, and I use crystal stick deoderant. It is a mineral salt that retards bacteria growth that produce the smell. Since I bow hunt, it is good to keep my human scent as low as possable. Another trick is to get bay leaves and throw them in a clean garbag bag with clean clothing you will be using for a couple of days before going out.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Im not a Sniper... but here is what i know about blending in. You dont want to wash... if you are walking through a town trying to look the part and you smell like paul mitchell... well your gunna get lit up pretty fast. That is why SF / SOC units have certian grooming standards. For instance... unshaven facial hair and longer head hair. Some times we dont wear uniforms of any kind... we wear what the locals wear... talk how the locals talk... act how the locals act... and smell how the locals smell.

BC

·
Registered
576 Posts
"Achmed! He is an infidel!"
"How do you know?"
"He smells not like goat urine!"

Yes, yes, I'm sorry.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

Of course, special forces not wearing uniform gives the enemy an excuse to shoot them as a spy if captured.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
yimmy: Of course, special forces not wearing uniform gives the enemy an excuse to shoot them as a spy if captured.
I am pretty sure these guys don't need an excuse.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Re: re

Yimmy said:
Of course, special forces not wearing uniform gives the enemy an excuse to shoot them as a spy if captured.
They will execute you anyway... uniform or no uniform. :|

BC

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

Well, you never know who the next enemy may be..... not all people you go to war with are "bad guys" as such.

I wouldn't count Argentinians as being evil, for instance, nor would they shoot you when captured.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies, all of them were quite interesting.

Anyone know of a case of a sniper getting sniffed out for having too much B.O.?

-snowy

·
Registered
148 Posts
So just put your clothes in a bag with some bayleaves an shake, im try that. Also can you just rub bayleaves all over yourself and getaway with that?

·
Registered
576 Posts
I recommend you check to see if you have any kind of reaction to bayleaves before you start rubbing them all over yourself.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
snowy said:
Thanks for the replies, all of them were quite interesting.

Anyone know of a case of a sniper getting sniffed out for having too much B.O.?

-snowy
My tracker buddy said he could smell a unit that had been in the field from the chopper when he was getting close. I have also heard of people in vietnam saying they could smell someone before they seen them. Granted that is a jungle enviroment where it is CQB at times and scent travels well due to moisture and heat. this is all second hand info, so I can't say for sure.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
talking_target said:
So just put your clothes in a bag with some bayleaves an shake, im try that. Also can you just rub bayleaves all over yourself and getaway with that?
Yea, you may just want to put a few fresh leaves in your pockets etc. Also pine will work, the thing is dont use bay leaves, pine etc in an are it does not grow since it will be a new scent to animals and that may alert them as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts