Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're headed to NTC.

I need suggestions for camouflage in very barren desert conditions, to include hiding ones thermal signature.

I've heard of using DCU wet weather gear, but it wasn't recommended for NTC. We're thinking about coloring our over-whites as a start.

Thoughts, suggestions, considerations?

BigDunc

·
Registered
18 Posts
NTC and Iraq, ghilles?

We went throgh NTC last year before deployment to Iraq. Didn't have much cause to use my ghille since the terrain is so open we rarely closed within 500M of the objectives. Used my ghille top, which is naturally sandy colored and has DCU's as a base, and the hat for the little bit we did up closer.
If your deploying to Iraq, I would recommend you pack your ghille and take it with. The first part of our tour was north of Baghdad around Taji, very much farmland with plenty of underbrush, palm trees, and planted fields. The ghilles came in handy, some teams had left them back in the states, and were hurting for it.
We now operate in Baghdad, which is mostly urban with hide sites being abandoned buildings. Not much use for ghilles here, but mosquito nets are like gold for hanging up inside windows for camoflage.
My best advice for NTC, get your leaders to use you as an integrated part of their battle plans. Get it to sink into their heads how Sniper teams should be used and how they can help, mostly with good intel dumps to the S-2 in the after actions reports. Our biggest problem over here is the leadership has never used Snipers before, and we've had a hell of a time training them how to.
Also I've heard thermals can be defeated by plastic sheet, with scrub brush in the forground, but as far as I know the NTC is no longer set up for Warsaw Pact force on force. Our OPFOR was Haji's, who had damn little in the way of gear, maybe a set of NOD's, and no thermals.
Have a blast and good hunting. My tours about ended here, and we should demob by September, my Florida unit is already tasked with Afghanistan, and with any luck I'll be headed that way after a few months at home to rest.
Scouts Out,
Spc. R. B. Rees
Baghdad, Iraq

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Rees has it right. When we went to NTC, we never ghillied up, but it was 120+ degress everyday also. The spaces are huge and mobility is a major problem for sniper teams (can you task helo's?). Remember, NTC is a tank first training area (at least when we went through). We did do some DRT team elimination and some LP/OP work as well as support for dismounted operations. Believe it or not, we actually had 4 vehicle kills also (that was more than about 70 % of our bradley crews had :D ), as we carried a viper with us, and had multiple oportunities to engage forward scout vehicles. Anyway, your overwhites painted tan with some dark browns "tie died" on may work well if you want to try that approach. Though if you use move good movement techniques and concealment you probably will not need a ghillie there.

MEL

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Mel,

In a place like NTC, where the ground is very flat and visibility is great, do you ever see enemy OPs or Comm posts that you can get rid of? I guess it isn't really a good idea for a sniper to reveal himself just to eliminate an OP unless it needs it, but I figure for you guys trained in observation, an antenna is probably pretty obvious. Maybe they use scout vehicles as OP's, I'm not sure. We have the Coyote to do the up front snooping and pooping, and I know we really don't want four of those getting knocked out!

I guess what I am asking is, does having snipers employed in the desert hamper the enemy's OP/LP or other vulnerable "out front" people more than a woodland environment where 700m and longer shots are very hard to come by and concealment and cover are richer?

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
If used properly, snipers can be equally as effective. Now, it may very well be more effective psychologically to actually bypass the OP and enage an unsuspecting office in the main area, giving evidence that their OP's are ineffective. Of course, you are taking a risk with your team to do such an action.

If you do you job correct, taking out an enemy soldier, wheter OP or not, will not reveal your position, only that there is a sniper operating in the area.

MEL

·
Registered
365 Posts
Good replys guys.

Rees, dumb question here, but in the sand box theres green spots right? Have you or have you seen teams put the woodland types of ghillies on and set those green areas as their AO's? Or did you stick in the sand areas.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Iraq's diverse terrain and climate...

Iraq's terrain varies quite a bit. Down south towards the Kuwaiti border, it's strictly moonscape, lots of sand and damn little else. North and west of Baghdad is fairly rich farmland, and there the green ghilles work fine. The area between the two major rivers the Tigris and the Euphrates, is known as the "fertile cresent", and looks more like the central valley of California than anything else. I imagine the mountains in the north, where the Kurds live are totally different too, but I've haven't got that way at all. I guess the point is, if you deploy be prepared for any of the regions. By the way, the temps have varied from slightly below freezing in January to 125 deg. now that summers hit. Something else to keep in mind when packing your bags. I hope this helps.

Scouts Out,
Spc. R. B. Rees
Baghdad, Iraq

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tankers.... <shiver>

Good info, thanks.

Our big problem and what I worry about the most, is what you mentioned... the leadership. I'm not sure you're type of unit, but we're a mechanized combined arms unit, with primarily tanker leadership (BC and CSM)... and we're a brand new section, stood up at the beginning of the year.

Basically, since we don't guzzle JP8 and create moondust when we travel, they have no idea how to use us.

Our S-3, Major D, came to the range as we were testing suppressors (like kids in a candy store I might add). To our dismay, he took much convincing. And then he said something that made us all understand why it took so long... and I QUOTE:
"I'm not sure why you need those suppressors when the battalion is buying those new combat earplugs." Verbatim. :(

Off to finish my will then!

BigDunc [/i]

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Take a tape recorder.

Read the Sniper's field manual in your best subliminal hypnotic voice.

Put it over his ears while he sleeps. Maybe when he wakes up he will understand your vaule and know how to use you. Just try not to laugh when you see an Abrams crawl by you wrapped in a [email protected] ghillie :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I was thinking more along the lines of a giant shrub, but that's a really nice tank.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The tank is euro, based from the german military, i dont feel like looking i up but i think thats a leapord tank.

·
Registered
571 Posts
The camo on it is Barracuda's vehicle system. It's a Strv 122, a heavily modified and upgraded Leopard 2A5(More and improved armour, better C3I etc)

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Very cool. I wonder if it's better than our upgraded Leo's? Heh, probably.

·
Registered
365 Posts
*Knows nothing about tanks, APCs, AAV's, helos, and planes* But I do know about the UH-60 Blak Hawk, AH-60 Apache, Ch47-Chinook, CH46. eheheh. But I do know lots about small arms :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Horror stories on the line...

BigDunc...I feel your pain!

I'm a Florida National Guardsman who made the mistake of being attached to the New York Guard, and wound up with an Infantry company from New York City no less.
These city boys didn't even have one compass in their inventory to take with me to Sniper school, for an Infantry company that's amazing to me. No compasses, but there's two alcohol serving bars IN the armory.
Our BC is so concerned with glory he's on the verge of being a Psych Hold, his most famous qoute: His element was recieving rifle fire one day and a sergeant urged him to take cover, saying "Sir, get down, these guys are willing to die for nothing!", our BC snapped at him "SO AM I !!". Yipes !!!
The command has restricted our ROE (rules of engagement) to the point were bonified shooting gallery ducks. They've taken our .50 cals off the HMMWV's, kept all other crew served weapons at AMBER status (not locked and loaded), and now when we fire a warning shot to keep possible VBIED's (car bombs) at bay, everyone in the truck has to fill out sworn statements, for each and every time we shoot. The effect is to make the leaders so concerned about the extra paperwork, the gunners are harrassed into not shooting at all. Unfortunately all these ROE restrictions do is jeaprodize our lives, when a cars barreling at you there's precious few seconds to stop them, and all the gunners have is the 30 rds. of 5.56 in an M-4 to do the job. It's criminally stupid!
As for the commands attitude towards Snipers, they have to brief the highers each time they use us, and since that means more work, they don't bother. It doesn't matter that Sniper teams are the most effect way of countering the Insurgents firing RPG's and SAF at the HMMWV's within the patrol area, the command considers it an acceptable risk. Out of 200 or so men actually on patrol out of our Battalion, we've had 17 KIA and 25+ WIA, that's 1 in 5 dead or wounded, acceptable?
It's a damn good thing I love my country, because I'm really begining to hate the wankers I've had to serve under.

Scouts Out,
Spc. R. B. Rees
Baghdad, Iraq

·
Registered
347 Posts
Well for men like you I'm thankful...men like the guys not utilizing you and putting you in jeopardy...well let's hope they pull their heads outta their duffle bags and see what's really going on.

-BS

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

I think that may well be the first time I've ever seen an American use "wankers", in normal conversation. :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts