Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning Everyone,

I am a new member to this forum.. I've been reading threads on here for months, and its a wealth of knowledge. :) I am currently looking at a used SRS, and I am trying to learn more about it. I know its a Gen 1, and an early Gen 1 since the side is stamped Desert Tactical not Desert Tech. So here are my questions if anyone can help. I reached out to DT directly, and have received no responses.

1) Any where to find out how old the rifle is? Serial # DTA00116X
2) Do they still make barrel kits for the Gen 1s? I know they changed how they mount in on the Gen 2s
3) Can this rifle be convert to a Gen 2? I've read some can..

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know there are subtle differences between the Gen 1 & Gen 2, I dont want to drop a ton of money of a rifle that's going to be a pain to get things for.

Thank you for the help

:)

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Good Morning Everyone,

I am a new member to this forum.. I've been reading threads on here for months, and its a wealth of knowledge. :) I am currently looking at a used SRS, and I am trying to learn more about it. I know its a Gen 1, and an early Gen 1 since the side is stamped Desert Tactical not Desert Tech. So here are my questions if anyone can help. I reached out to DT directly, and have received no responses.

2) Do they still make barrel kits for the Gen 1s? I know they changed how they mount in on the Gen 2s

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know there are subtle differences between the Gen 1 & Gen 2, I dont want to drop a ton of money of a rifle that's going to be a pain to get things for.

Thank you for the help

Contact Greg Dysktra at Primal Rights.

605-554-1911

He should be able to answer most questions you have.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Greg will have all of your answers.

When I was looking at buying mine I considered the older generations. You however give up the adjustable cheek rest, squishy recoil pad, monopod, and a few other things. The hand rail is also a quad rail which is not friendly to hands.

The new model has upgraded hand rail, monopod, adjustable cheek rest, and squishy butt pad.

The barrels will work one way but not the other. I can't remember which way...but I believe the older rifles will use newer barrels...but not vice versa. Either way Greg can get custom barrels made.

If you plan to make the upgrades you will be better off starting with a new rifle in most cases. The upgrades are quite costly.

While you are on the phone with Greg, you ought to ask his price for a new chassis as well.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Good Morning Everyone,

Thank you for the help

Gen1's are the most undesirable of the Desert Tech's. They can not be upgraded. If you can get them ultra-cheap, sometimes it can still be worth it... but it usually is not.

Give me a call if you'd like to talk specifics.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This is the rifle for 5k

Rifle- has .308 barrel/bolt and bolt stop installed

1 mag in the gun (6 rounder) a .308
2 additional (6 rounders) - .308
4 (10 rounders)
2 (not sure 5-6 rounders) .300 WM
Scope - Bushnell LRS 6-24X50 with G2 Reticle - NON illuminated
Mount- ADM (American Defense Mounts) 20 MOA QD mount.
Magpul Flipups
Rear butt of rifle has monopod rear installed, just below it is the second butt attachment with thick rubber padding from DTA.
Sling is Magpul Padded with QD swivels
Tool kit as pictured and NEVER used
.300wm barrel with surefire brake installed.
.300wm bolt is at the rear of the barrel wrapped up.
Hard case pictured - WILL fit the rifle and some accessories. Case is NEW and UNUSED.
Scope/crown cover pictured.

Good Deal?

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
I would have said about $3K.

Thing is...he might get what he is asking...but it is not worth what you give up by going with the older chassis.

You don't know (beyond the guys word if that) how worn the barrels are or even how they shoot...so you really can't count them worth full value.
Besides that...I have no desire to have a 300wm barrel. There are much better and easier to load for magnum calibers out there
The bolts will probably also be the older style without removable bolt heads

If you are serious about long range shooting then the scope is not going to be satisfactory either and will need to be upgraded.

The mags and bolts are nice extras...but not worth asking price in my opinion.

For close to that money you can get a brand new desert tech with a brand new CUSTOM benchmark barrel in the caliber of your choice. This is a no brainer in my opinion...buy new.

Have you asked Orkan (Greg) what he can get you a new one for?

Also...there is a reason the toolkit is "never used". All you really need is a 70in/lb torque wrench and a bore guide. Everything else in the kit is just stuff put together to have a fancy kit. You will want different cleaning rods and cleaning chemicals for regular use anyway.

hard case is nice...but my hard cases sit under the bed and are never used. I use a tac ops drag bag to carry my rifles in. I even took a 3,400 mile trip this year with my rifles and put them in the trunk in the tac ops without any worries. Hard cases are great for flying but are horrible for daily/practical use.

In my opinion...there is just too much of the kit that you would either not use...or would immediately replace that I would not be interested unless it was in the $3-3.5K range where you could sell off what you don't want and still come out ok on what you kept.

I know this is not what you want to hear...but if you take this advice you will not be sorry. Take your $5k and buy a new rifle and never look back!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I would have said about $3K.

Thing is...he might get what he is asking...but it is not worth what you give up by going with the older chassis.

You don't know (beyond the guys word if that) how worn the barrels are or even how they shoot...so you really can't count them worth full value.
Besides that...I have no desire to have a 300wm barrel. There are much better and easier to load for magnum calibers out there
The bolts will probably also be the older style without removable bolt heads

If you are serious about long range shooting then the scope is not going to be satisfactory either and will need to be upgraded.

The mags and bolts are nice extras...but not worth asking price in my opinion.

For close to that money you can get a brand new desert tech with a brand new CUSTOM benchmark barrel in the caliber of your choice. This is a no brainer in my opinion...buy new.

Have you asked Orkan (Greg) what he can get you a new one for?

Also...there is a reason the toolkit is "never used". All you really need is a 70in/lb torque wrench and a bore guide. Everything else in the kit is just stuff put together to have a fancy kit. You will want different cleaning rods and cleaning chemicals for regular use anyway.

hard case is nice...but my hard cases sit under the bed and are never used. I use a tac ops drag bag to carry my rifles in. I even took a 3,400 mile trip this year with my rifles and put them in the trunk in the tac ops without any worries. Hard cases are great for flying but are horrible for daily/practical use.

In my opinion...there is just too much of the kit that you would either not use...or would immediately replace that I would not be interested unless it was in the $3-3.5K range where you could sell off what you don't want and still come out ok on what you kept.

I know this is not what you want to hear...but if you take this advice you will not be sorry. Take your $5k and buy a new rifle and never look back!
Hey DDD

What Gen is your DT?

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
It is the newest generation. SRS-A1. I bought it in December about 18 months ago.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is the newest generation. SRS-A1. I bought it in December about 18 months ago.
How do you like the new SRS-A1. I am looking at the SRS & the MRAD. I love the look, and feel of the MRAD, but the ease of the SRS is something that really has my attention.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
I love the SRS. I bought it about 18 month ago with a TS customs 22.5" 308 barrel. It has almost 1700 rounds on it now and shoots sub 1/4 moa. I have a full custom that has sat in the safe ever since I bought the Desert Tech.

The custom barrels are really the icing on the cake with the desert tech rifles. TS customs spins up benchmark barrels for the Desert Tech...and these barrels really shoot. Plus I will never outgrow the rifle. If I want to shoot farther I just buy another barrel, bolt, and mag. Optic stays with the rifle...so I only need one optic for every different caliber I shoot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It sounds to me that it has been updated to the newer Butt stock with the monopod installed which means that it was made during the conversion to Desert Tech or has been sent back to have the modifications made to accept the new chassis.
You will not be able to purchase new for the price you quoted, and you can always sell off what you don't want out of the package.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
It sounds to me that it has been updated to the newer Butt stock with the monopod installed which means that it was made during the conversion to Desert Tech or has been sent back to have the modifications made to accept the new chassis.
You will not be able to purchase new for the price you quoted, and you can always sell off what you don't want out of the package.
The rifles have been able to accept monopods since the first gen. They offered them with or without back then. ... and no you can't just "sell what you don't want" as the genI barrels/extensions are ONLY compatible with genI rifles... and the market for them is abysmally small. The gen1 skins are not compatible with the new modular recoil pad. The genI handguards are not compatible with the new A1 modular handguards. The genI chassis is not compatible with the A1 adjustable cheek. The genI extensions are not compatible with the genII or A1 chassis. No, there is no way to modify the genI to accept the new handguard. No, there is no one modifying the chassis for the adjustable cheek. You may be able to modify the skins to accept the new recoil pad, but it looks like a hatchet job when done and still doesn't work right. New bolts most often don't even function in the genI extensions and the ones that do often don't work right in the chassis. Hell, even brand new A1's can sometimes have bolt fitment issues. I deal with that at least once a month. So you want to try to convince me how a part manufactured nearly 10 years ago is going to mate up with parts created now? You think all desert tech parts are created in house, on the same machines as back then? Sure, DT warranty will try to help a guy out wherever they can, but it can take months... YEARS.

So even if he found a buyer, he'd lose his shorts on the deal and rightfully so... just like the guy trying to sell this package for 5K is going to. ... because he's not going to sell it for $5k unless he finds an idiot. (which there are plenty of)

Lets pretend that I've had this discussion with guys for the last 5 years. Lets pretend that I'm the foremost authority on DT rifles in quite possibly the entire world.

Better yet, don't pretend.

I helped a guy buy a nice gen1 kit for $2500. He's quite happy and at that price is a good deal. I helped another guy buy a used GenII kit for $4000, and it too was a good deal. Though this kit the user posted is NOT a good deal. Pure and simple. If someone tries to sell a SRS-A1 (latest model) they will often get 80% or more of their purchase price back out of it. I've seen some sell for 90% or more of retail. If someone tries to sell a genI they are lucky to get 50%. Sure, you can buy old genI's cheaper... but there's cheap, then there's value. A new rifle is going to be of significantly greater value AND be much more pleasing to shoot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The rifles have been able to accept monopods since the first gen. They offered them with or without back then. ... and no you can't just "sell what you don't want" as the genI barrels/extensions are ONLY compatible with genI rifles... and the market for them is abysmally small. The gen1 skins are not compatible with the new modular recoil pad. The genI handguards are not compatible with the new A1 modular handguards. The genI chassis is not compatible with the A1 adjustable cheek. The genI extensions are not compatible with the genII or A1 chassis. No, there is no way to modify the genI to accept the new handguard. No, there is no one modifying the chassis for the adjustable cheek. You may be able to modify the skins to accept the new recoil pad, but it looks like a hatchet job when done and still doesn't work right. New bolts most often don't even function in the genI extensions and the ones that do often don't work right in the chassis. Hell, even brand new A1's can sometimes have bolt fitment issues. I deal with that at least once a month. So you want to try to convince me how a part manufactured nearly 10 years ago is going to mate up with parts created now? You think all desert tech parts are created in house, on the same machines as back then? Sure, DT warranty will try to help a guy out wherever they can, but it can take months... YEARS.

So even if he found a buyer, he'd lose his shorts on the deal and rightfully so... just like the guy trying to sell this package for 5K is going to. ... because he's not going to sell it for $5k unless he finds an idiot. (which there are plenty of)

Lets pretend that I've had this discussion with guys for the last 5 years. Lets pretend that I'm the foremost authority on DT rifles in quite possibly the entire world.

Better yet, don't pretend.

I helped a guy buy a nice gen1 kit for $2500. He's quite happy and at that price is a good deal. I helped another guy buy a used GenII kit for $4000, and it too was a good deal. Though this kit the user posted is NOT a good deal. Pure and simple. If someone tries to sell a SRS-A1 (latest model) they will often get 80% or more of their purchase price back out of it. I've seen some sell for 90% or more of retail. If someone tries to sell a genI they are lucky to get 50%. Sure, you can buy old genI's cheaper... but there's cheap, then there's value. A new rifle is going to be of significantly greater value AND be much more pleasing to shoot.
Please DM me or email me at a.lisitano at att dot net, I would like to continue this conversation with you off the forum then we can post what we agree with. I don't want to put bad info on the forum. I own a SRS-A1 with the Desert Tactical name on it. I purchased it just before the name change. I would like to tell you some of my experiences with it and Desert Tech. Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
I replaced the skins on mine with the new ones that have the adjustable cheek piece and installed the monopod also. When I ordered the skins I was sent an email asking if the chassis had some specific designs on it. If it did then the new skins would fit if not at that time Desert Tech offered to do a modification at some price. I don't have access to the email that I used during that time, my server was hit with the virus and I lost all of it. If I can locate it on one of my computers I will try to get the information posted.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Sadly this has been brought up a lot of times over the years. To date, no one has performed the necessary modifications to an early model chassis which will allow the use of DT's adjustable cheek with the A1 skins.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sadly this has been brought up a lot of times over the years. To date, no one has performed the necessary modifications to an early model chassis which will allow the use of DT's adjustable cheek with the A1 skins.
Please contact me directly at a.lisitano at att.net I would like to talk to you directly about my experience, some good some not so. I will provide you my phone number in an email.
I surely don't want to post any bad info on the forum and will happily retract what I said that's wrong or correct it.
Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
My SRS is serial number SRS0026XX. As you can see it has the new skins, adjustable cheek piece and monopod. So even though my daughters say I've lost my mind and am crazy I would like to show you that I made the changes. Expensive yes! Worth it, in my opinion yes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts