Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reloading program I have requires muzzle velocity to figure out loads. How do I determine how much powder will give me a given velocity? Is there a program out there where you can put in the amount and type of powder you want to use?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
You need to buy or borrow a chronograph to get an accurate number. It is possible, but not very easy, to use bullet drop from known distance to known distance and back out the velocity based upon the amount of drop that occurs.

JeffVN

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
You can use reloading manuals to get starting information for basic loads, but they will not be totally accurate. But they will get you close.

MEL

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guess I'll have to buy that Sierra book everyone is talking about, my Speer is rather disapointing........

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
There is a way to guesstimate your muzzle velocity.

At the back of most loading manuals, there are ballistics charts for each bullet. And these charts contain trajectory information.

So you zero the rifle at 100 yards. Then you shoot at 200 yards and at 300 yards. You measure the actual bullet drop at 200 and 300 yards and then compare the measured trajectory with the predicted trajectory on the chart.

And that way you can guesstimate the actual muzzle velocity.
I've tried this a number of times and when checking with the chronograph, this method will come within 75 fps or so.

Mad

1 - 5 of 5 Posts