Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anybody had any experience with DiamondKote finishes on firearms? i was just wondering that if i had a rifle that needed re-finishing if this would be a viable alternative. i've read that it is similar to Gun Kote. if anyone has any experience with these firearms finishes or is experienced with firearms finishes at all, i'd be ready and willing to listen to what you have to say. here are the websites that i've looked at, http://www.kgcoatings.com/gunkote.html and http://www.mrarms.com/
thanks in advance,

Brian

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
I have a decent amount of experience with various finishes, but not diamondkote. I have used:

GunKote
Teflon
Epoxy Powdercoating
Dura-coat

MEL

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mel,
Care to elaborate on the pros and cons of each? Also, which one is your favorite? Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Sure:

GunKote - Very durable and goes on nice and thin. Problem is that the prep work on the metal has to be "just right" or it will not bind well, and you'll get flaking and really weak protection. Parkerizing undercoat is best, if not that, aluminum oxide is the only other possible alternative. Requires baking at 300+ degrees.

Teflon - Goes on the smoothest of them all and provides a very nice finish. The prep work on the metal is not nearly as critical as gun kote. Self lubricating, and goes on a bit thicker than gun coat. Down side is that teflon itself is not the most durable, BUT, even if scratched off it still provides protection to the metal. Also requires baking at 300+ degrees, but for less time than gun kote.

Epoxy Powdercoating - Super durable, but very thick. Much to thick for internal parts, and too thick for general firearms coating unfortunately.

Dura-coat - Easy to apply, requires no baking, and super simple to touch up if there is a cheap or scratch... the problem is that unless you parkerize underneith it, you will be doing a LOT of touch up. Without parkerizing, its not durable. It requires airbrush or similar to apply and is a two part mix.

there you go

MEL

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I might be mistaken, but I think Diamondcoting is some sort of anodized treatment used on one or the other variants of the AR-15.

In case folks need to know about anodizing, here is brief explaination.

An aluminum (or titanium) part is connected as the anode in an electrolytic cell. A very hard anodic layer grows upon the work, and in the case of aluminum, this layer consists of aluminum oxide. Aluminum oxide is very hard and is used as an abrasive. Aluminum oxide is almost as hard as diamond--hence I believe the name, "Diamondkote".

Mad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts