Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you read article about 3000 yards varmint shooting??
http://www.sniping.ru/index.html?lrscolorado2
This is translated part from american book. It is in Russian.

Author Steeve Hugel "PRECISION SHOOTING AT 1,000 YARDS"
Very short translation
Pic.1 Brus Artus (left) and Creg Slack (right) try to shoot 16" steel gong at 3120 yards (.308 Ackley Improoved and .264 Win Mag)
Brus Artus from Colorado is author of longest registered shot at animal at 2632 yards, but it is not the end becouse his new scoupe mount lets shoot at more than 3000 yards
Pic2 Model 70 .264 Win Mag 30-inch Hart berrel of Creg Slack and Model 70 .308 30" Obermayer berrel Ackley Improoved, 16" gong at 3120 yards
Pic 3 Bullet mark from .308 at 3120 yards (Brus)
Brus has support of some manufacturers such as Leupold, Boots Obermayer, and Premier Reticles
Boots gave him berrels, Leupold 8.5-25x scoupe which was upgraded to 20-50x by Premier Reticles
Creg begun from .264 win mag 30" Hart barrel and Cierra 155 grain, recently he fixed chamber in 30" SS Bo Clerke for round .338 Lapua with 300 grain Cierra Matchking bullet. Winchester 70 action, Jewell trigger ajusted for 2 ounces, Dillon- MakMillan stock, Leupold 8.5-25x fixed to 20-50x, 85 grain powder IMR7828, velocity 2750 feet/sec
Pic 4 scoupe mounts made for Winchester 70 of Brus
Flatter trajectory of .338 Lapua helps Creg "not to buy hunt licence for ducks" and "make it safer for flying 747"
In the morning of May, 31, 2000 Creg and his wife (spotter) were shooting in windless preria on the East of Puablo.
Creg has shot preria dog sitting next to gong with 3rd shot

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I don't know Russian so this could be a dumb comment, but should that be "3000 feet"?

The title of the article is "PRECISION SHOOTING AT 1,000 YARDS" (Cap locks quoted from the article)

I was wondering who was shooting what varmints at 3000 yards with what weapons system lol.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
probably just a language issue/misunderstanding.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
My Russan sucks, but from what I could piece together (very little it was march 31 2000 and was 2816 m or about 3000 yards. Also I tink they were shooting at gongs, not varments. I could be wrong since my Russan sucked at the best of times and it has been years. I wish I could get good at it, espically since this looks like an intesting site.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Car5Car, maybe I am wrong, but it seems English is not your native language. I am very sorry if it seemed like I was being critical of you, I just don't understand the article. I would like to read it though. Could you translate it for us, please?

3000 yard shots on a gong would be awesome. Those guys have interesting weapons systems too

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
That is a cool site. For those that do not know Car5car is Russan, Airborn or something I believe. Very nice guy and sometimes his english is a little limited, but I can vouch for him - nice guy!

I wonder if those are custom order scope mounts..........152 MOA please! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
caver101 said:
sometimes his english is a little limited,
:
It's not near as limites as my Russan I can tell you that. :lol:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
When I first saw the post about 3000 yard varmint shooting, I thought that some depraved lunatic had called in an airstrike against a prairie dog town.

Glad it were not so.

Mad

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
madgunsmith said:
When I first saw the post about 3000 yard varmint shooting, I thought that some depraved lunatic had called in an airstrike against a prairie dog town.

Glad it were not so.

Mad
Whats the matter with an airstrike against prairie dogs?

·
Registered
4,795 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just finished reading that book last week. Kreg Slack dusted a prarie dog at 3,125 yards, page 90, and he has a gong strike at 3,600 yards, page 92. These guys don't even consider it sporting if it isn't at least 2000 yards.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I have read "presion shooting at 1000 yds" the book is excelent book on shooting long range. The chapter they had on the varment shooting at over 2000yds was intresting, for one the window of opertunity to shoot at these ranges, maybe 1 hour max in early morning before the sun start to heat up the ground, and the wind is calm. I am not knocking there shooting ability but it doesn't say how many rounds it took to hit the ground hog.
Cliffy out

·
Registered
23 Posts
Another part of the book that I thought was really good was the chapter on optics, very detailed explaination on just about everytrhing you ever wanted to know about scopes.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Here is a link to a website to translate the text to english. I couldn't get it to translate the whole page, but if you copy and paste sections of it, it gives you an idea what they are saying. http://babelfish.altavista.com/

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
those guys think theyre cool shootin stuff at 3000 yards....i nailed a flickertail at 104 yds today with my 597 .22lr........i have to agree those are some pretty bizzare looking scope mounts--the only russian i understoood on the page was "308"....after that i started to get the point

dom

1 - 18 of 18 Posts