Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem between 300 and 338, and the options are only those because my gun has a 30-06 bolt, so again the barrel

people here say that 300wm is flattest and more for LR shooting, but when I enter the reloading data into the ballistics program (300wm 220gr, 850m/s and 338 230gr 850m/s) it gives them the same trajectory every 2km?

my new gun will primarily be for LR shooting, but if the 338wm offers the same trajectory, the bigger bullet is more useful for me in hunting

you can also suggest some other option, but the requirements are the ability to carry +240gr bullets, 30-06 bolt length and the best possible LR features.

· Registered
5 Posts
I have a problem between 300 and 338, and the options are only those because my gun has a 30-06 bolt, so again the barrel

people here say that 300wm is flattest and more for LR shooting, but when I enter the reloading data into the ballistics program (300wm 220gr, 850m/s and 338 230gr 850m/s) it gives them the same trajectory every 2km?

my new gun will primarily be for LR shooting, but if the 338wm offers the same trajectory, the bigger bullet is more useful for me in hunting

you can also suggest some other option, but the requirements are the ability to carry +240gr bullets, 30-06 bolt length and the best possible LR features.
What components do you already have ? What can be purchased now & in the future ? What's the cost difference ? And will it be worth it ? It all going to boil down to what your needs & wants are. But I would buy something you will find components for. And cost would be a big factor for me. Maybe not your situation ? Look at the cost for 338 brass if you can find it. $3.00 & up a piece. Long Range hunting forum would interest you on this subject.

· Registered
47 Posts
Used both the .338 and .300 WM for years.
Unless heavy game like moose I see little need for a 338 Cal like 338 Win or 338 RUM. The 300 win covers all the lower 48 game species very well from elk to deer I don’t see a need for anything bigger.
I am and fan of all mentioned cal that I use.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts