Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently had an opportunity to shoot off some barricades using a friends "tactical pillow" and it made a big difference for stability. Then I looked at the prices for tactical pillows and they ranged from roughly $60 to over $100! I'm sure the quality of such pillows is high, but I couldn't bring myself to buy one. So I thought that I would try to make my own. Here are the results:

Green Knitting Design Pattern Military camouflage
Gun Rifle Firearm Air gun Trigger

Leaf Furniture Textile Linens Room
Bag Pattern

Rough Dimensions (these shift, of course, given the filler): 11''x5''x8''

Materials and Cost
- Beanbag Filler (Amazon): $12 for 2.5 cu. feet (I still have A LOT left over)
- Army Surplus Sustainment Pouch (Amazon): $11
- plastic shopping bags: free (I double them up to make sure the beanbag filler doesn't spill out and to keep things relatively dry)
- Time Costs: 20 minutes
- Total Cost: $23 + 20 minutes of time

I haven't run this in the field. I've only tried this bag in a dry fire scenario. So what do you think?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How soft is it?

Looks good though.
It's pretty soft, but firm enough to hold the rifle. In that pic, it is fully supporting the weight of the front of the rifle--i.e., the bipod legs aren't down. I think one could gain more firmness if one were to pack in more filler. It's super light, which is cool. I don't have a scale to measure it, but it is not heavy at all.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That looks real good.
Let us know how it does with some range time.
Will do. Should be out in a few days. I also need to run NorCalFocus' bag, which I picked up from him last week. It's been a solid bag in dry fire so far .

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Tactical description of Pillow does not compute.
Tactical mini rucksack doesn't cause cognitive dissonance in my mind.

Looks good.
Does it improves your shooting is all that matters?

I would try a cuff sling myself.
My wife would like one for long car trips.
Dual use then.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tactical description of Pillow does not compute.
Tactical mini rucksack doesn't cause cognitive dissonance in my mind.

Looks good.
Does it improves your shooting is all that matters?

I would try a cuff sling myself.
Dual use then.
Agreed. The term is strange, even silly, but apparently becoming a common thing, esp among the PRS crowd. First heard the term from the 6.5 Guys and then the Precision Rifle Podcast. Triad is now selling "tactical" pillows too: Triad Tactical, Inc. :: Red Tac Gear :: Red Tac Gear Tactical Pillow

Silly terminology aside, I will have to let you guys know how the shooting goes. Like you said, it's good if it improves shooting! I'll be out on the range later this week.

The most tactical pillow I've ever seen was found here:

Crowd People Human settlement Marching City

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/pillow-fight-violence-west-point-army-investigation/

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Looks good. They make a light fill that weighs next to nothing that they sell at walmart and I am sure arts and craft stores too. I think it's what they use in the commercial pillows. It's a material like insulation and not pellets. Might be worth a try on your next bag. I was going to make my own as well as I make some of my other gear but then I looked into the what I was wanting out of the bag and it looked like more than I wanted to get into so I broke down and bought them.

I never used a "tactical pillow" but tried my team mates out at a DMR match last year off a roof simulator and it did make it easier to get a solid position. I was going to make my own as well as I wasn't going to pay $106 for one bag like my team mate. Someone mentioned Armageddon Gear in a thread on the Hide and I looked at them and found I could get two bags of their Fat Bags for the same price. So went that route. Fat Bags

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Dual use then.
I found that a bottle of wine made car trips with my wife a lot more comfortable. The more she drank the more comfortable I got. After a few "glasses" she didn't need a pillow. :cool:

OK, so that wouldn't help shooting but it sure made two day trips from CO more comfortable.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks good. They make a light fill that weighs next to nothing that they sell at walmart and I am sure arts and craft stores too. I think it's what they use in the commercial pillows. It's a material like insulation and not pellets. Might be worth a try on your next bag. I was going to make my own as well as I make some of my other gear but then I looked into the what I was wanting out of the bag and it looked like more than I wanted to get into so I broke down and bought them.

I never used a "tactical pillow" but tried my team mates out at a DMR match last year off a roof simulator and it did make it easier to get a solid position. I was going to make my own as well as I wasn't going to pay $106 for one bag like my team mate. Someone mentioned Armageddon Gear in a thread on the Hide and I looked at them and found I could get two bags of their Fat Bags for the same price. So went that route. Fat Bags

Regarding fill, I went with beanbag filled because it seemed to resist water and moisture a little better than pillow stuff, but I could be wrong about that. That decision was admittedly based on some hearsay. So we'll see. I'll have the bag on the range this week and then on a Javelina hunt in AZ the following week. Should have plenty of opportunity to give it a try in field conditions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts