Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with DPMS products and opinions on there quality as compared to Colt?

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Negative on that one, buy a real AR, buy a RRA. :wink:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whats wrong with DPMS products? Would aporeciate a little more detail if possable. I have a line on a AR for a pretty good price.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I don't have any personal experience with the DPMS but what do you plan on doing with your AR? What will its purpose be, because as much as I LOVE my RRA, if you are just plinking, it'll be a waste of money.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Isn't DPMS well known for their tight tolerance? Perfect for clean and neat IPSC competitions? Too tight to use rough military/cheap ammo with dirt all over..?

Depends on the use, I guess... I'm considering a 20" DPMS upper for IPSC, but heck if I know for sure.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
DPMS is ok, but Rock River Arms is better.

In fact, you should contact Pete at Legal Transfers in Plaistow, New Hampshire. He is the best AR dealer anywhere.

He will get you a great price on RRA products. His customer service is unparalleled.

His website is http://www.ar15sales.com

Mad

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Bushmaster makes quality parts and quality rifles.

But Rock River Arms produces parts and rifles with a nicer finish. I recently had the opportunity to compare a RRA bolt carrier with a Bushmaster.

The RRA had a much better finish.

For my money, RRA is the best value in AR parts going today.

Mad

·
Registered
266 Posts
madgunsmith said:
DPMS is ok, but Rock River Arms is better.

In fact, you should contact Pete at Legal Transfers in Plaistow, New Hampshire. He is the best AR dealer anywhere.

He will get you a great price on RRA products. His customer service is unparalleled.

His website is http://www.ar15sales.com

Mad
gees,it seems like the only things we have in this state that are any good are guns and gun related things.Sturm Ruger,SIG and Legal Transfers,and Im sure theres more

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
AmmoHouse said:
Where does Bushmaster fit in?
We carry Bushmasters at work every day and IMHO it is a piece of sh-t. When I started , four of us were going through the training program and we got brand new out of the box rifles. The first dat we shot them two of the four had mechanical problems. The front sites on many of them wiggle back and forth. While I am far from beign a world class shot, I know I can shoot better than 8 MOA at 100 yards. That is 20 rounds from standing, kneeling and prone positions. I get some of the best scors at work with the rifle and that is what I shoot with these. But if you want one, don't let me stop you.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Okay whoever said buy a colt is crazy. They have a sear block and you are limited on the triggers you can put in and that front take down screw gets really annoying. So think on that awhile..... RRA is awesome if you buy the complete rifle, but I build all mine on DPMS forged lowers. As long as it is a forged lower you are fine. I am not saying that DPMS is the best, but they are not as bad as you all make them out to be. I deal AR15'S probably more than anyone on here and they are fine. If I was to buy a complete rifle I would do the RRA cause of the triggers, safety and grip. SD

ask spade if he likes the DPMS that I shipped him

·
Registered
13 Posts
DPMS V. COLT

A friend at work (cop) just got his RRA DEA model and the bolt carrier key was not punched on one of the hex bolts. It came loose during a qual shoot and would not cycle because a loss of blow back gas pressure! This is the $2100 rifle the DEA is using. He's not happy about getting a malfunctioning weapon! Im sure it was just an isolated problem. Our Armorer, who now works for Surefire and is a AR / M-16 Expert Rifle Gunsmith (or what ever term you want to use) does not recomend DPMS for the reason they pull parts from say, general hardware stores to fit their rifles (springs, pins, etc.) instead of using rifle specific parts (springs, pins, etc.). Colt, RRA, Bush and others use of make their parts for the rifle; DPMS doesn't for the most part.

Look at a bolt carrier form DPMS and Colt, RRA. the DPMS looks like its cast metal, not machined. The fit and finish is just not as good as the other big makers. Oh, no one on my SWAT Team / Sniper Team uses DPMS. My 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
994 Posts
sniperdog-alpha1 said:
I deal AR15'S probably more than anyone on here and they are fine.
Your statement sounds like you're qualifying your opinion above those of others, and I don't think you can simply because you sell lots of ARs. What is a credit of qualification is experience with a variety of ARs, which you have, but so does everyone else who commented. Maybe I misinterpreted your quoted statement.

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
492 Posts
Scatch I biuld ar15's for about damn near 8 hours a day, five days a week. I work on almost every AR15 imaginable. So if anyone on this form has put well over 300 ar's completely together, than by all means speak up and I will definitely listen. Oh and the term for a guy that works on AR15's is called a ar15 armorer. I was certified through blackwater special ops for my armorer's certificate. Also no dpms does not get there stuff from a hardware store. To tell you the truth they biult most everyone elses parts. Defense
Product
Manufacturing
System

I would still take a rock river, and the reason that most swat use colt ar15's is cause of the fact that they are full auto.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
This is just me, but when I did my first build I used RRA bolt/carrier, LPK (lower parts kit) and a RRA A3 upper. You can use anything you want on the lower. The last build I did I used a DPMS lower for a 16" super lite and I also used one for a 50BMG lower. I have no problems with a DPMS at all. I say if the price is right - get two!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Edited due to JRP3: Sorry SD. :p

Scatch Maroo

1 - 20 of 44 Posts