Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Re: DPMS V. COLT

I was an armorer in the USMC for several years with a Marksmanship Training Unit and i will say this. I have worked on thousands of AR-15 rifles. Some of the lowest quality parts i have seen were that of Colt and FN. Many people dont know that DPMS makes barrels and parts for high quality "custom gun makers" such as Wilson Combat.

Rock River Arms is another good company allthough i would place Bushmaster and DPMS above them since RRA's carbines arnt all that great, allthough there "target" style AR's are very good with a pretty good price. However; Bushmaster's "Varminter" is a .25 MOA rifle; DPMS's "Bull Panther" and "Low Pro" heavy barreled rifles are .50 MOA rifles, and RRA "Varmint A4" is a .75 MOA rifle. If any one disagree's with the RRA .75 MOA statement they can go read it directly off of RRA's website. :wink:

The DPMS "Bull Panther" rifles come in 16", 20" and 24" barrel models (All Bull Panther model barrels are Cryo Treated for increased accuracy)and cost around $885 to $950 and come with a JP adjustable trigger, two - 30 round magazines and a cleaning kit.

hellsredsled said:
D-did not
P- pass
M- military
S- spec
Yes actually DPMS does pass Mil Spec. DPMS has a contract with the US Air Force for M-4 carbines.

The Rifleman

·
Registered
492 Posts
Thank you john and rifleman for adding your info on this. Have either of you gotten a chance to handle the DPMS M4 308 yet. I just got my hands on one at work and they are nice except that I do not like the long FS and the forward assist. Aside from that they are very good. Here is a website that you might like for barrels. www.carbonbarrels.com Also go to yahoo and do a search on magpul's m95 stock. I am waiting for it to come out so I can finish my LR AR15 1/8 twist 20" DCM

SD

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
The AR market is in an uproar right now. The demand for rifles and parts is just incredible.

In the rush, a lot of substandard parts are hitting the market. All of the various makers are affected.

In the end, the best AR is the one you carefully build yourself. Buy the best quality parts from the best dealers and carefully inspect and assemble everything.

Mad

·
Registered
140 Posts
sniperdog-alpha1 said:
Have either of you gotten a chance to handle the DPMS M4 308 yet. I just got my hands on one at work and they are nice except that I do not like the long FS and the forward assist. Aside from that they are very good.
Are you talking about the "Long Range 308 C" model? If so, i wish it had a somewhat larger contour barrel forward of the gas block. Allthough it is a carbine so i guess its not suppose to have a real heavy barrel. Ive seen one and held one but havent fired one.

The Rifleman

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: DPMS V. COLT

American Rifleman said:
Yes actually DPMS does pass Mil Spec. DPMS has a contract with the US Air Force for M-4 carbines.

The Rifleman
Like I said MILITARY!! (US Air Force)

Just jokin!!!!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I haven't had the chance to test out a DPMS 308 as of yet. For some reason the lack of a dust cover just strikes me as strange. No good reason for this, just that I am so used to seeing them I guess.

That m95 stock is just plain sweet. I will be switching out a couple of stocks as soon as that one hits the market. Last I heard was towards the end of summer, but that date could change quite easily. I know that as soon as they come out there is going to be on heck of a long backorder. As of right now they are not doing a pre-order.

John

*edit* I should say that I beleive there will be one heck of a backorder, I have zero inside information. I just know that a ton of people are interested in this stock.

·
Registered
492 Posts
To be perfectly honest I have a stock being set aside for me when they come out. We did a T N E on the m93 stock for them and gave a pretty honest opinion of it. Well anyways I should have one of the first ones out and as soon as I get it I will definitely put up a evaluation of how I like it, and ease of versatility. SD

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
sniperdog-alpha1 said:
To be perfectly honest I have a stock being set aside for me when they come out. We did a T N E on the m93 stock for them and gave a pretty honest opinion of it. Well anyways I should have one of the first ones out and as soon as I get it I will definitely put up a evaluation of how I like it, and ease of versatility. SD
Definitely throw that review up here. I am definitely interested in this one.

John

·
Registered
492 Posts
I might see if I can push for them to go ahead and send me one to T N E. I hated the m93 and told them that, but that the m95 would be a magnificent setup, if everything worked as good as it looked. Thursday I might make a phone call to them and see what I can come up with and also push for a T N E. When they do come out I will make sure to carry them and might even try and start a group buy through my work. These are just a few ideas that I got going on in my head. SD

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Wow lots of passionate responces to my question. Ok now how do you folks rate Olympic Arms AR- 15s? My good friend picked one up bout a month ago and it seems pretty good. Thanks for all the responces and info so far.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
not a big fan of the olympic arms
the one i shot were fairly cheap but you get what you pay for... RRA and Bushmaster are better hands down
RRA is probably the best deal from what im hearing cant comment on Bushmaster vs RRA because i down own an RRA, only shot one a LOOOOONG time ago

·
Registered
809 Posts
Colt 100%.... then I would consider the Rock River, the DEA went with that platform. The intell from the Primary Firearms Instructor Joe S. (WCD) of the DEA ( a very good friend ) they are VERY PLEASED with the Rock River weapon system, my number 1 choice would be The COLT. Any other ? drop me a line....

Michael Rescigno
Tactical operations
www.tacticaloperations.com

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Great to have you here, Mike!

I'd be a lot more interested in Colt if it were not for their attitudes concerning citizens

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
A happy pony etched into your rifle, pins that are not the standard size, and a condescending attitude towards you as a customer.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts