Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a DPMS based AR platform and I already have my lower. I know that nothing is standard about building an AR 308. I would like to buy an Aero Precision upper in 308. The thing that concerns me is the fact that their take down pin hole is .2795" (7.1mm) diameter. When I measure my take down pin it measures roughly .276". I know some people use an Accuwedge and some people just drill a hole in the lower below the take down pin and tap the hole for a set screw to take out any unwanted movement. I have no problem doing it either way.

My question is those of you who have used the M5E1 Enhanced Upper Receiver is the pin diameter a problem in any way?

Mav

·
Registered
320 Posts
Diameter is the same as the DPMS, but the pins are a little bit short. Can use in a pinch. Get the correct pins from Aero for their M5E1 lower receiver. They are also dimpled on one side that aids in take down.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Also use a new generation Aero lower receiver as it has a tensioning adjustment built in to take out that annoying slop. No accuwedge to take out that annoying slop.

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
I am building a DPMS based AR platform and I already have my lower. I know that nothing is standard about building an AR 308. I would like to buy an Aero Precision upper in 308. The thing that concerns me is the fact that their take down pin hole is .2795" (7.1mm) diameter. When I measure my take down pin it measures roughly .276". I know some people use an Accuwedge and some people just drill a hole in the lower below the take down pin and tap the hole for a set screw to take out any unwanted movement. I have no problem doing it either way.

My question is those of you who have used the M5E1 Enhanced Upper Receiver is the pin diameter a problem in any way?

Mav
The slop between a lower and upper does not affect how the gun shoots one bit. As to what your measurements are, your talking about .0035" of difference, if your pin is centered in the hole, thats only .00175" of clearance around the pin. Three and a half thousands is prefect for just so you can easily get the take down pin to move in and out.

The bigger factor in slop will be the size of the take down tab on the upper and the opening in the lower.

Also use a new generation Aero lower receiver as it has a tensioning adjustment built in to take out that annoying slop. No accuwedge to take out that annoying slop.
He already has his lower, so that doesn't help him, but it may help others.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Slop in indicative of a bad build. There is no slop on my builds. Theoretically it does not affect accuracy, but when you put your head down on the stock and you can see the cross hairs move that is very annoying. Thats why good receivers are now sold matching and some of the better ones have tensioning devices. Sell or trade that Dpms lower and get something better. Aero has a military discount, 10% off and free shipping if the order is $100. IM<HO

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. I have the info I need now.

Mav

1 - 6 of 6 Posts